HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
I think there is a business that already does this. Forgot the name though.

But if they want to make a go of it, I would love for places like CIBO and Wurst to be on there.
Waiters on route.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 4:21 PM

waiters on route, just-eat.ca, and a few others too that I can't remember the name of

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 5:30 PM
effete latte-lifter

Hey guys,

I'll be back in Calgary for the first time really in almost three years this July. We're looking for some places to eat that have opened up since 2011-12 that are worth seeking out. Since we're landing basically when the Stampede starts, going outside of the core/beltline isn't a problem since I don't feel like fighting unnecessary crowds. We eat anything but are more excited about things that are harder to find in Northern Europe.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 10:36 PM
BANNED

There was great free chai ... like the real stuff ... at Prince's Island Park today at the World Partnership Walk. They always put on a great show every year, but I think it doesn't get wider attention because it is free. Well, several thousand had a great time anyway, and the authentic chai (dubiously called chai tea by non-South Asians) really hit the spot.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 6:30 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhit View Post
We eat anything but are more excited about things that are harder to find in Northern Europe.
For example? There has been an explosion of northern/NW Chinese and Taiwanese places in Calgary the last year or so- I don't recall seeing a speck of that in Copenhagen.

You'll still need coffee- use my map

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 3:43 PM

If you could have ANY restaurant in YYC offering delivery - what would they be?

I just moved to Calgary for my startup - www.SkipTheDishes.ca. I want to make sure we get all of the very BEST restaurants online. We currently have Osteria de Medici, Le Villa Chophouse and many others offering delivery in Downtown Calgary! Thoughts?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 3:58 PM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
For example? There has been an explosion of northern/NW Chinese and Taiwanese places in Calgary the last year or so- I don't recall seeing a speck of that in Copenhagen.

You'll still need coffee- use my map
Yeah, anything from east of Poland or South of Barcelona but particularly regional Chinese or Taiwanese is certainly welcome. To be crass, "ethnic."

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGirl204 View Post

I just moved to Calgary for my startup - www.SkipTheDishes.ca. I want to make sure we get all of the very BEST restaurants online. We currently have Osteria de Medici, Le Villa Chophouse and many others offering delivery in Downtown Calgary! Thoughts?
Pizzeria Gaga

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 4:30 PM

The thai place in Eau Claire Market.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 1:54 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Jackie's Thai and Gaga are excellent suggestions for a delivery service!

Long's Chinese Food

Midori

Bensonhurst

Olive Chicken

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 9:04 AM
Hare Expert

Quote:

Popeyes. Good luck with that one.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 3:50 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vascilli View Post
Popeyes. Good luck with that one.
We don't have Popeyes in Calgary and neither do they have it in any US city without a big African-American population, so I'm not sure what the joke is here. Yes it's in Toronto for some bizarre reason.

The selection on the website is pretty good, prairie girl. Very comprehensive. Some items are going to be horrible for delivery though- just eyeballing it really quickly I see Big Cheese and I cannot imagine what poutine would be like after a 45 minute or longer delivery gap. Same with, say, the delicious grilled dough from A La Saj- it can tolerate a walk back to the office but not a drive but I guess if they want to be listed it's their call and customers will decide if it makes sense or not.

There isn't enough sushi or other Japanese on the menu is my other suggestion for right now. No, nigiri sushi doesn't travel well, but things like rice bowls and noodles certainly can and it's not a bad thing to have on offer.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 3:52 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhit View Post
Yeah, anything from east of Poland or South of Barcelona but particularly regional Chinese or Taiwanese is certainly welcome. To be crass, "ethnic."
Excellent Calgary food blog with special focus on Chinese: http://followmyfoodtrail.wordpress.com

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 4:53 PM

Quote:
We don't have Popeyes in Calgary and neither do they have it in any US city without a big African-American population, so I'm not sure what the joke is here. Yes it's in Toronto for some bizarre reason.

The selection on the website is pretty good, prairie girl. Very comprehensive. Some items are going to be horrible for delivery though- just eyeballing it really quickly I see Big Cheese and I cannot imagine what poutine would be like after a 45 minute or longer delivery gap. Same with, say, the delicious grilled dough from A La Saj- it can tolerate a walk back to the office but not a drive but I guess if they want to be listed it's their call and customers will decide if it makes sense or not.

There isn't enough sushi or other Japanese on the menu is my other suggestion for right now. No, nigiri sushi doesn't travel well, but things like rice bowls and noodles certainly can and it's not a bad thing to have on offer.
Popeyes in Toronto is halal I believe, which helps a lot.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 5:53 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:

That is the joke

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 8:39 PM
not a NIMBY

Anyone tried Gachi "Asian Korean Fusion" yet?
I'm hearing good things about it. 96% like it on Urbanspoon if that means anything.
2711 17 Ave SW

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 8:57 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Hey everyone, I just moved to Calgary (I'm originally from MB) to help out with my friend's local startup - www.SkipTheDishes.ca The group offers online ordering for local restaurants (pickup and delivery)...
I was wondering if you could help me out with suggestions of local restaurants you want to see signed up...
LDV Pizza - amazing thin crust, wood fired pizza
The Himalayan delicious Nepalese cuisine
Shikiji - Japanese noodles, sushi, etc.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
LDV Pizza - amazing thin crust, wood fired pizza
The Himalayan delicious Nepalese cuisine
Shikiji - Japanese noodles, sushi, etc.
YES, the Himalayan please!

Though, they're closed for renos over the summer... Plenty of time to get them signed up

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 7:53 PM
BANNED

Cleaver on 17th av and 5th st should be opening soon. Lighting features etc installed.

Across the street there's a new sign up for RAD as the design firm of the formerly empty retail bay west of Tilted Kilted/and that pizza shop.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 10:24 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Cleaver on 17th av and 5th st should be opening soon. Lighting features etc installed.

Across the street there's a new sign up for RAD as the design firm of the formerly empty retail bay west of Tilted Kilted/and that pizza shop.
Great news on both items! That shuttered place that was the Indian+Mexican has been a ridiculous gong show from the time I moved to Calgary up to an including the last owners serving prison time for having employees living in open sewage in the basement.

The Coup is REALLY close- windows were open and they were having a staff meeting there yesterday.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation