HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted May 26, 2006, 7:59 PM

i think its good to have slightly less tall buildings at the waters edge. gradually raising the height of buildings from the waterfront to the city center accomplishes multiple benefits.

-from the perception of the pedestrian walking along the waterfront promenade, the perception of space is greater with short buildings in the forefront of taller buildings in the distance. much less claustrophobic too.

-by building shorter at the waters edge, future developers who don't have the benefit of waterfront property will be forced to build taller in order for their tennets to have that highly coveted water view. this gradual slopeing up from the water is reminiscent of natures own design (think of valleys rising from the river banks).

-the gradual stepping up in height allows more people to enjoy an open view.

the original renisaince plans for the city developed in the mid 1900's had this "step up" design in mind. as growth really took off in the late 70's and through the 80's, downtown companies lobbied succesfully for amendments to the zoning laws for their projects. the result is 100 east pratt (thanks to a threat from ibm to leave baltimore...which they pretty much did anyway). and the green glass tower that was the hq of legg mason until they moved into the old usf&g tower. the result is a somewhat closed off waterfront with out the sweeping vistas and sense of place that the city planners had in mind.

a great example of a city with a good mix of low / mid / high rise construction is toronto. take a look at their skyline from the lakefront east(?) of the CN tower.

ok..enough of my rambling....oh yeah...i can't express how excited i am to think about (2) 60 floor towers over on guilford ave! can't wait to see drawings!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations