HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 6:49 PM

I wish there are security officers asking the skateboarders not to treat the new features as part of a skateboarding obstacle course. The nice stuff installed just looks scruffy after a while. I call this vandalism.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 7:04 PM

Looks like a big empty space. Is anything being done to activate it? It just seems like a square of concrete with seating around the edge.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 8:19 PM

Re: the skateboarders. Yes, they were having a blast figuring out what they could do with their new playground. The metal knobs along the edges of the wooden benches prevent them from running along the edge but they had no problem launching themselves up onto the top of the larger wooden platforms and running across the top. Again and again and again.

And some people that were trying to cross the open area were retreating to the sides or the steps to avoid getting run down. You can imagine if you were elderly or had mobility problems you'd probably avoid the area completely while the skateboarders were there.

Re: the big empty space. It was designed to accommodate crowds for protests and events so it had to be made durable and generally open. With the leaves off the trees now it does look rather spartan, though. Could use a bit of year round greenery other than the plants in the planters.

Nov.8 '17, my pics

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 8:59 PM

i dont get the whole "i'm in my thirties and i still skateboard" thing, like give it up

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 10:23 PM

Wow - they just put the same benches under the pavilion.
They bear no relation whatsoever to the canopy above them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
Nov.8 '17, my pics

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 2:37 AM

that thing looks so weird. it is so top heavy, and those benches look out of place under it. eek, seems like a waste of money that bus shelter thing.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 2:59 AM

Biggest problem is that it doesn't function well as a bus shelter.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 3:11 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
that thing looks so weird. it is so top heavy, and those benches look out of place under it. eek, seems like a waste of money that bus shelter thing.
Yeah, it would be nice if they instead had small retail kiosks under that shelter and had normal bus shelters... closer to the actual bus stop perhaps?

As for the skateboarders... we need those rapid rising bollards that pop out of the ground and benches so they learn the first time.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 5:54 AM

Would it be illegal for the city to seize their boards? Give the cops the power to seize their boards every time they encounter them. Not like these clowns can buy a new board every other day.

There are skate parks every where, but they choose to destroy the steps, benches etc... so frustrating. And before someone calls me grumpy grandpa, I'm younger than the ass holes in these pics.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 6:09 AM

What in gods name is that rotunda thing actually suppposed to resemble?

Bus shelter you say? What were they thinking with this? It's far too recessed from the road to be of function in the rain. It doesn't have any walls to shelter you from any wind. The benches are right at the edge of the canopy that any sort of rain would render those benches completely unusable. Utterly useless. Some artist or architect got some payday from this for sure.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 6:22 AM
retro_orange

Those tall fins probably catch a lot of rain and drip it down around the perimeter whereas if it was just a flat roof more rain would directly hit the roof and go down it's drain.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 6:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teriyaki View Post
What in gods name is that rotunda thing actually suppposed to resemble?
I think it stops birds from taking off or landing on it.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 7:28 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
I think it stops birds from taking off or landing on it.
must be a new sustainable poultry harvesting policy.

Like grab n' go to/from work.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 8:03 AM

This thing needs a name. Any ideas?

Nov.8 '17, my pic

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 9:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_orange View Post
must be a new sustainable poultry harvesting policy.

Like grab n' go to/from work.
Duh. We're never going to be Greenest City just by having the most community gardens - we need a community henhouse too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
This thing needs a name. Any ideas?
Hmmm... the Fence to Nowhere?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 9:44 AM

What an odd project. Very Vancouver.

Are there any lighting features? You know, for night? And to help make it a noticeable place?

And yeah, the skateboarders just highlight a larger problem of people being selfish and not thinking of others. it is annoying given how many skateparks are provided. I would be just as annoyed with people playing football across ssh a plaza.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenboi View Post
Looks like a big empty space. Is anything being done to activate it? It just seems like a square of concrete with seating around the edge.
That's the whole point of it. Actually feels really good walking on it and being surrounded by tall buildings. Love the openness. When you're on the plaza, it allows you to slow down your pace to admire Hotel Vancouver and the Art Gallery buildings even more.

You don't need an open bazaar on every big open space in the city centre.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
IIRC, the top part of the pavilion with the vertical slats can be used as a light/sound platform for events, especially if they set up a stage on the west side by the Fairmont.

News reports mention that the bottom part can be used as a tourist kiosk, but I am unsure if they have rough-ins for utilities, etc it they do make a more permanent kiosk

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 4:00 AM
EdInVan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
What an odd project. Very Vancouver.

Are there any lighting features? You know, for night? And to help make it a noticeable place?

And yeah, the skateboarders just highlight a larger problem of people being selfish and not thinking of others. it is annoying given how many skateparks are provided. I would be just as annoyed with people playing football across ssh a plaza.
Not much lighting at all. I've sat there on a few occasions at night, just observing. It's not welcoming.

Funny how people are now criticizing the bus shelter; a few months ago the comments on here were positive, or at least neutral.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 4:38 AM

It is strange how adverse Vancouver seems to be to light / lighting. You would think a city in such a dreary climate 8 months of the year would be the complete opposite.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver