HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Nov 19, 2011, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickodemis View Post
Nashville would be a good choice for Southwest's hub out of HSV. Not sure if it'll happen or not.

BWI is the hub for the Northeast.
Orlando is the hub for Florida and some Southeast.
Milwaukee (Airtran) is the hub for the midwest.
Chicago Midway (Southwest) is a hub for midwest and West.

I would expect Southwest to start a flight between HSV and Chicago Midway to compete with American and Continental.

Top Twenty O & D Markets - Second Quarter 2011

BWI: Baltimore, MD* - AirTran
MCO: Orlando, FL* - AirTran
DCA: Washington-National, DC*
LAX: Los Angeles, CA
DFW: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX*
BOS: Boston, MA - AirTran via BWI
DEN: Denver, CO*
IAH: Houston-Intercontinental, TX*
ORD: Chicago-O'Hare, IL*
CLT: Charlotte-Douglas, NC*
PHX: Phoenix, AZ
LGA: New York-La Guardia, NY
IAD: Washington-Dulles, VA*
LAS: Las Vegas, NV
SEA: Seattle/Tacoma, WA
DTW: Detroit, MI*
PHL: Philadelphia, PA
SFO: San Francisco, CA
SAN: San Diego, CA
FLL: Fort Lauderdale, FL

*Direct Flights
I find that interesting that MKE and MDW will both remain large Southwest hubs after the Airtran situation is complete. Makes me think that we could see the same down south. Also, Southwest will use 1 plane for multiple routes. So someone flying Baltimore to Jacksonville could fly through Raleigh-Durham and Nashville first on the same plane. Seems like that model could work well compared to hub/spoke.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilson View Post
I find that interesting that MKE and MDW will both remain large Southwest hubs after the Airtran situation is complete. Makes me think that we could see the same down south. Also, Southwest will use 1 plane for multiple routes. So someone flying Baltimore to Jacksonville could fly through Raleigh-Durham and Nashville first on the same plane. Seems like that model could work well compared to hub/spoke.
They'll consolidate the Chicago hubs into just Midway hub only.

Another options for Southwest would be to create a flight from Huntsville to Denver. It's one of the top 10 destinations from Huntsville with multiple connecting flights to LA area airports, including LAX (top 5 destination).

Houston would work also. Multiple connecting options to the west coast destination.

http://www.lowfaresfarther.com/route-maps/

Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 2:18 PM
Constant Vigilance!

I was in Huntsville last week for Thanksgiving break, and having not been home since July, I had to say I was severely impressed with the improvements going on in town. I had to take a drive around to see how projects were coming along, and was in awe of the Veterans Memorial Park downtown. I was thinking it wasn't going to be that big, but hot dang. So beautiful and such a great thing to see coming downtown from the interstate. Also was happy to see the Belk Hudson lofts coming along. I took some pictures of the progress, seems what they were working on was prepping the parking garage and what not, but still, exciting all the same.

Hopefully this trend continues, so that the next time I come to Huntsville I will continue to be in awe when reaching the city

Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder89 View Post
I was in Huntsville last week for Thanksgiving break, and having not been home since July, I had to say I was severely impressed with the improvements going on in town. I had to take a drive around to see how projects were coming along, and was in awe of the Veterans Memorial Park downtown. I was thinking it wasn't going to be that big, but hot dang. So beautiful and such a great thing to see coming downtown from the interstate. Also was happy to see the Belk Hudson lofts coming along. I took some pictures of the progress, seems what they were working on was prepping the parking garage and what not, but still, exciting all the same.

Hopefully this trend continues, so that the next time I come to Huntsville I will continue to be in awe when reaching the city
Agree--downtown is coming alive. When people start moving into Belk-Hudson I think we'll see a real pop in activity downtown. Love the beautiful new memorial.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder89 View Post

Here is a list of all of the proposed projects in Downtown using Google Maps.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...23665,0.045447

Does anyone know if Hudson-Belk will have restaurants on the ground floor?

What is the latest on the Constellation project? I can't find much info on the web.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 11:47 AM

Even with the building nearly complete, I can't tell what is going next to Dick's Sporting Goods in Jones Valley. Anyone know?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvinhsv View Post
Even with the building nearly complete, I can't tell what is going next to Dick's Sporting Goods in Jones Valley. Anyone know?
Nice looking building. Wish I had an answer.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvinhsv View Post
Someone had posted what was going in there a few pages back. I know there are three leases signed for sure. A kind of upscale barber shop called Rooster's, a self serve frozen yogurt place, and a tutoring place - Appleton I believe. I'm not sure if anymore have signed or if I'm leaving any out. I drove past that the other day too. It turned out being a good bit bigger than I thought it would be. Now they just need to fill in the spot between Dick's and Fleet Feet and they'll be all set over there. I wonder if they are going to put anything in the field by the Wellness Center or in those two parcels in Rave's parking lot. Those are all great locations!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 1:46 PM

Related to this building project.... Behind the Jones Valley mall is that creek with a walkway that goes south to the golf course. Are there any near-term plans to extend this walkway--either south or north?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsvillefan View Post
Related to this building project.... Behind the Jones Valley mall is that creek with a walkway that goes south to the golf course. Are there any near-term plans to extend this walkway--either south or north?
I'm not sure about any near term plans but I do remember reading an article on al.com that the golf course had blocked the city from extending the greenway through their property.

Also the Huntsville Development Blog listed Appleton, Nothing Bundt Cake, a Self Serve Yogurt Place and Roosters as tenants in the new building next to Dicks.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallty View Post
I'm not sure about any near term plans but I do remember reading an article on al.com that the golf course had blocked the city from extending the greenway through their property.

Also the Huntsville Development Blog listed Appleton, Nothing Bundt Cake, a Self Serve Yogurt Place and Roosters as tenants in the new building next to Dicks.
Jone's Valley need more quality food options. Like a Panera Bread, Chipotle, Bahama Breeze, Cheese Burger in Paradise, Magginos, Mcallister's, Title Kilt , Olive Garden, Jason's Deli, Brio, etc.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 11:54 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Chipotle will be showing up next to Earth Fare on University Dr. soon

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 6:55 PM

Widening of AL 53 to Ardmore and I-65

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2011/12/...o_ardmore.html

Highlights:

10+ years to complete from now.
Will be done in phases starting from Research Park Road toward Ardmore.
Will build southern by-pass around Ardmore. (Starting in 2016-2017).
Work schedule could be accelerated if needed.

This should have been completed years ago. How many people travel from Huntsville to Nashville each week.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 7:06 PM

Long Term DOT plan for HSV

http://www.huntsvilleal.gov/Planning...al2035plan.pdf

Go to page 58 for a good map of the long term roads planned for Huntsville.

Eastern By-Pass and Memphis to Atlanta Highway.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 9:00 PM

Interesting Article on Audi

So, with strong U.S. demand for crossover SUVs and exchange rates that make importing the vehicles from Europe unattractive, surely Audi is plotting where to break ground on a U.S. assembly plant, as BMW and Mercedes-Benz have already done.

But no, such decisions take time, and Audi’s Volkswagen parent company has just launched its own U.S. plant in Chattanooga, Tenn., to build Passat family sedans. Given the time the Germans will want to study the progress of the VW plant, a decision regarding adding an Audi plant is still a few years off, de Nysschen said. If they decide to go forward, Americans would be able to buy U.S. Audis no sooner than “late in this decade,” he said.

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_new...ium-car-market

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 3:12 AM

Volvo or Audi? Any guesses? Many hopes.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 11:06 PM
America's Mars Rocket

This has all kind of spin off possibilities from improved air service, downtown development,sports, jobs, infrastructure..

SEATTLE, Washington -- Stratolaunch Systems, a new commercial space company announced today by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, will be based in Huntsville, according to the company's website.

The company, which represents a partnership between Allen and commercial space pioneer Burt Rutan, will build what it calls the world's largest airplane to launch rockets bearing medium-sized payloads into orbit.

Board members of the new company include Dave King, vice president of Dynetics; former NASA Administrator Mike Griffin; Rutan; SpaceX Technologies vice president Gywnne Shotwell; and Chris Purcell, vice president of Allen's investment company, Vulcan Inc.

Huntsville aerospace company Dynetics will be responsible for the technical integration of its systems. The ultimate goal of the company is to put humans in space, Allen said today.

Allen, 58, has a personal fortune estimated at $15 billion from his years at Microsoft and later career in investing. He owns the Portland Trailblazers of the National Basketball Association and the Seattle Seahawks of the National Football League

http://blog.al.com/space-news/2011/1...l_allen_f.html

Allen and others in the company said the target market for the company's services will be commercial and government satellites formerly carried into space by the now idle Delta II rocket. Stratolaunch Systems will also be headquartered in Huntsville's Cummings Research Park near Dynetics.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 11:58 PM
America's Mars Rocket

A retail center on U.S. 72 at Lawson's Ridge Drive, called Shoppes at Lawson's Ridge, will expand with four shops - Jimmy John's Gourmet Sandwiches; 32° A Yogurt Bar, a self-serve frozen-yogurt bar; Corr Wireless and Palm Beach Tan.

The shopping center at the Huntsville-Madison city limits is anchored by a 17,500-square-foot Aldi discount grocery store, which opened last month.

Huntsville Times

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 12:06 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Concrete being poured at the Belk Hudson Loft site,
The original two brick walls being supported by steel bracing are being saved and will be incorporated in the new structure.

Photo credit Belk Hudson Loft

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 12:54 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Hey ALDOT look into the future
"The Tennessee Department of Transportation held a ceremony today to officially open its state-of-the-art facility that helps manage traffic along Southeast Tennessee interstates.

The Transportation Management Center will help control cameras and message boards within Chattanooga.

“We’re attempting to clear our highways quicker,” said Tennessee Department of Transportation Commissioner John Schroer.

The transportation center was built last year at a cost of $2.5 million. TDOT officials started using the building in December 2010."

Too bad Huntsville and North Alabama has primitive stupidly designed roads with little or no directional signs. Hey I hope all of our 20 year road plans are
delayed at least 10 years so when if and finally built will be inadequate. Oh wait we already have that wish granted.
Do highway morons actually drive on the roads in their district? Where is Huntsville on your road signs? How about south bound signs on the new 5 year late overpasses at Max Luther/Sparkman, is there an interstate highway anywherecoming up? Guess not cause you don't find out till your right up on it and then where does it go? Westbound on I-565(should be 6 lanes but any accident on the road will bring all 1950 era 4 lanes to stop) Chapman Mountain..we see Athens, Decatur, but no Downtown Huntsville, Madison, Birmingham ..idiots.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast