HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

The Sky One in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 11:25 PM

Cracking the top 50.. won't that be something. With luck, it won't throw us into a Post-Montparnasse type of situation and we can hope to see 200m at some point in the not too distant future.

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmaster View Post
Cracking the top 50.. won't that be something. With luck, it won't throw us into a Post-Montparnasse type of situation and we can hope to see 200m at some point in the not too distant future.
Don't give the anti-height and/or NIMBYs amy ideas. They already like to point to Paris as an example of why height is not needed for density.

Last edited by YOWetal; May 13, 2013 at 11:17 AM.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Don't give the anti-height and/or NIMBYs amy ideas. They already like to point to Paris as an example of why height is not needed for density.

It's always fun to counter that argument with a straight faced, "Great! let's zone all of Centretown, The Glebe, Sandy Hill and Wellington West for six stories."

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Right, you can also show them this picture of the 13eme arrondissement. All these towers are within the city of Paris, not in the suburbs.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 2:17 AM

Interesting. These towers would be the 11th tallest in Calgary, the tallest in Edmonton, the second tallest in Vancouver, 6th tallest in Montreal and 18th tallest in Toronto.

Here's an example of similar height...these are actually 3 metres shorter.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trhgr View Post
Right, you can also show them this picture of the 13eme arrondissement. All these towers are within the city of Paris, not in the suburbs.
If you really want to see Paris, you must have a look at this!!!

http://www.paris-26-gigapixels.com/index-fr.html

Clik top right of screen for English

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster View Post
If you really want to see Paris, you must have a look at this!!!
It's extremely beautiful (I'm from there, btw), but it's only the postcard Paris. There's much more!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 3:53 PM

Updates on this one?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 8:37 PM

Last thing I saw about this was this article from June 1 about the building and it's architect/designer:

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/06/01/...-transit-grows

I too would like to know if there are any newer updates.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 5:00 PM

I have spoken with the municipal planner in charge of this development in regards to the "Application on hold" status on the city of Ottawa's website. He has informed me that the proposal is going through a special design review process and as such there may be changes that will need to be reflected in the Official Plan and Zoning Amendment applications. Once the design is more finalized, it will be taken off hold. This will occur by his estimates sometime in mid to late fall.

After reading reports that the condo market is down last month over the previous year I really hope these larger projects don't get abandoned or down sized.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr872190 View Post
After reading reports that the condo market is down last month over the previous year I really hope these larger projects don't get abandoned or down sized.
Me too brotha, I NEED this one to happen. I daydream about it daily. Yeah, I've got building issues :p

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 5:56 PM

ew.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 7:40 PM

Same! I was so excited for this proejct. Looked good, great location and a new tallest for Ottawa (or rather two tallests).

Please don't turn around and cancel the project or change the design completely and propose a 17 story square brick condo. PLEASE

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 1:02 PM

When I did my service at Dow Honda they indicated that they would be moving in different location in 24-36 months from now. So, at least for 3 years there won't be any signs of progress...

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanfromnowhere View Post
When I did my service at Dow Honda they indicated that they would be moving in different location in 24-36 months from now. So, at least for 3 years there won't be any signs of progress...
According to their blog they should be out of there by the end of 2014, and this is a binding agreement with Ashcroft. I would say if this building is going to go ahead they will be opening the sales office somewhere nearby sometime next summer, at least to see what kind of interest there is.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 2:06 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkyman View Post
It's always fun to counter that argument with a straight faced, "Great! let's zone all of Centretown, The Glebe, Sandy Hill and Wellington West for six stories."
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhgr View Post
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who makes those arguments and uses that photo. I also like to use the following (even though they're not strictly in the city of Paris):

Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 3:40 PM

I certainly don't mind those low-rises: they have character, charm and they have been there for 100+ years.

Unfortunately most of Ottawa's low rises are ugly, uninspired and look awful within years of being completed. If there could be more emphasis on design and architecture, I would have no problem with a lower height restriction. However, right now, the nicest designed buildings in Ottawa are over 15 stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who makes those arguments and uses that photo. I also like to use the following (even though they're not strictly in the city of Paris):

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 4:05 PM

It's an important image to share, as people need to understand that the ethos of "in Europe, all buildings are no more than 9 storeys" is simply not true.

Like here, they need a certain amount of high-rises to function as a modern city.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer24 View Post
I certainly don't mind those low-rises: they have character, charm and they have been there for 100+ years.

Unfortunately most of Ottawa's low rises are ugly, uninspired and look awful within years of being completed. If there could be more emphasis on design and architecture, I would have no problem with a lower height restriction. However, right now, the nicest designed buildings in Ottawa are over 15 stories.
And this is the point we have to get to in the city of Ottawa, beyond height as the sole discussion point of every new project. We need to elevate design in buildings of all heights, but especially at the height at which most of us interact with them, that being on the first three storeys.

We have to stop ourselves from saying it should be taller or it should be shorter, as the first response.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 12:05 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer24 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbria27 View Post
And this is the point we have to get to in the city of Ottawa, beyond height as the sole discussion point of every new project. We need to elevate design in buildings of all heights, but especially at the height at which most of us interact with them, that being on the first three storeys.

We have to stop ourselves from saying it should be taller or it should be shorter, as the first response.
This is part of why Ottawa Urbanism was started; to change the debate on development and how we approach development in Ottawa. If you're not members, I suggest joining.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa