HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 1:05 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Just received an e-mail invitation to a "major announcement" regarding hockey operations in the club lounge at the Avenir Centre tomorrow at 3PM.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that they will be announcing the new coach. We'll see whether or not it is Torchetti.

Meanwhile the Cats posted a pretty solid 4-1 win over Charlottetown this evening. The team looked motivated. Our big players came up big to power the victory, especially McKenna, Cyr and Khobanov.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 1:20 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Conor Garland is now up to eight goal with the Coyotes, after another two goals the other night (including the game winner). He's so eager, he's even scoring goals with his face!!!

He's beginning to get noticed too.

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/c...till-bleeding/

There is absolutely no question he's going to stick with the team for the rest of the season.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Just received an e-mail invitation to a "major announcement" regarding hockey operations in the club lounge at the Avenir Centre tomorrow at 3PM.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that they will be announcing the new coach. We'll see whether or not it is Torchetti.

Meanwhile the Cats posted a pretty solid 4-1 win over Charlottetown this evening. The team looked motivated. Our big players came up big to power the victory, especially McKenna, Cyr and Khobanov.
The Acadie Nouvelle already confirms that it will be Torchetti.

https://www.acadienouvelle.com/sport...ent-a-moncton/

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
The Acadie Nouvelle already confirms that it will be Torchetti.

https://www.acadienouvelle.com/sport...ent-a-moncton/
It looks like he'll be taking the GM position as well. Likely easier to hire him as he'd make a larger salary. He should have lots of good contacts for Europeans and maybe even some free agents so I'm looking forward to see what he can do with the position. I'm also happy for Ritchie Thibeau as he can get back to focusing on scouting and the draft, while assisting Torchetti with the GM role.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 3:49 PM

Quote:

Yup, I was there. Captured some power play footage on my iPhone 7. Enjoy!

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 4:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

It's official:

John Torchetti is the new head coach and director of hockey operations for the Moncton Wildcats.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 2:34 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

So, the Cats have two wins and an OT loss in their last three games, all against important divisional rivals (CB & Charlottetown). They remain in 2nd place in the Maritime Division.

Have they turned the corner?

They now have a one week break before their next game. This will give Torchetti lots of time to run drills and become better acquainted with his new team. It'll be interesting to see how the last third of the season plays out........

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 3:28 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Have the Cats turned the corner???

.........no.

I forgot they had a game last night too (before starting their six day break). They lost 5-1 to the Mooseheads in Haligon.

Apparently Torchetti thinks the team is poorly conditioned, and this explains their propensity for third period collapse. If he feels this way, I presume the boys will be subject to some significant callisthenics over the next few weeks to rectify the situation.

Meanwhile Rumble has landed on his feet and has secured a position as assistant coach of the Saginaw Spirit in the Ontario Hockey League. I wish him well.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 5:32 PM

I was at the game, Mooseheads beat them on the scoreboard and in the fights. The game was rough especially in the 2nd period.

Almost 10,000 in attendance at Scotiabank Centre last night too.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Apparently Torchetti thinks the team is poorly conditioned, and this explains their propensity for third period collapse. If he feels this way, I presume the boys will be subject to some significant callisthenics over the next few weeks to rectify the situation.
Maybe they are spending too much time in the rec room, and not enough in the "state of art" training facility

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felip_ars View Post
Maybe they are spending too much time in the rec room, and not enough in the "state of art" training facility
Torchetti has a lot of work to do, hopefully getting a weeks worth of practices will produce some change for the 2 big games this weekend. Both games may end up being sell outs as its timbit weekend.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 6:08 PM

Anything special happening at tomorrow's (Sat) night Wildcats game? There seems to be an above avr amount of ticket sold for this game, from what I can see on the Ticketmaster app.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 6:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
Anything special happening at tomorrow's (Sat) night Wildcats game? There seems to be an above avr amount of ticket sold for this game, from what I can see on the Ticketmaster app.
Timbits tournament. Both the Saturday and Sunday games will likely be near sellouts.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 8:06 PM

The Championship banners have finally been hung up in the rafters. The Baie Comeau Instagram account posted a picture inside the Avenir Centre on Instagram. Just in time for the big crowds this weekend

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 4:35 PM

Trying to find this, but I can't... I'll be at the game tonight, so I guess I'll see for myself, though...

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralFeline View Post
Trying to find this, but I can't... I'll be at the game tonight, so I guess I'll see for myself, though...
It was on their story so it disappeared

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 10:50 PM

I turned on the Islanders vs Screaming Eagles game last night on Eastlink. Charlottetown wore their PEI Senators sweaters. Only disappointing part was that the Cape Breton Oilers sweaters didn't make an appearance as well.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 5:34 PM

7068 in attendance. And another disappointing loss. Halifax 4 Moncton 3 in the last couple of minutes of the third, Wildcats just couldn't tie it with the extra forward. Halifax scores in the empty net. 5-3 final.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 4:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I've pretty much given up on the Wildcats this season. They are now on a six game losing streak. Their record has not improved with Torchetti at the helm, but some of this is to be expected. It will take some time for the boys to adapt to his new systems.

I think they are improving defensively, but have lost their scoring touch. Torchetti is experimenting with line combinations to see what things might work. This could be upsetting for the boys.

My feeling is that the team will gradually improve toward the end of the season as they continue to learn the new systems, but not before they fall further in the standings. The Cats will not have home ice advantage in the playoffs.

The Q has too many strong teams this year. I predict a first round exit for the Wildcats in the playoffs.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 5:55 PM

They should not have thrown away 2nd & 3rd round picks (and a prospect) in an attempt to put together a half assed "contender".

They had offers on the table that could have improved the team greatly for next season....but Mr. Irving can't help but meddle in the hockey operations.
His obsession wth remaining competitive every season will be the reason we may never see a title in Moncton for a very long time. Unfortunately he has little self awareness and cannot recognize teams like Saint John & Halifax do things the way you should in junior by going through a proper rebuild.

It is embarrassing losing to teams like Charlottetown who made the right decisions at the trade deadline knowing what they are up against. The Cats could have still had a competitive hockey club but added 2-4 assets towards next season but instead they've added veterans and somehow manage to be performing worse. Being a Wildcats fan has not be fun the last 3 years. The corporate support and season ticket holder base is so large it really doesn't seem to matter what happens on the ice.

There's been a huge improvement in terms of the off ice experience as a fan of the team. Better marketing & video, better in house DJ, great instantly replays and use of a video screen 100X better.....but the most important part (the hockey) is making it a chore to go to one of the best facilities in Canada. Sigh

The only positives on this team right now are Jakob Pelletier and the potential #1 overall pick who should be an instant superstar if they win the lottery.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces