HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 5:35 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Since we're all talking SkyTrain history, my mom has an old booklet from the opening of the original SkyTrain portion of Waterfront->New Westminster. It has bits about why we should be pressing for the Surrey extension, etc. Would you guys like me steal it from her (ha) and scan it all?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 5:46 AM
Vancouver Moderator

DUH! Why ask? =P

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork View Post
Since we're all talking SkyTrain history, my mom has an old booklet from the opening of the original SkyTrain portion of Waterfront->New Westminster. It has bits about why we should be pressing for the Surrey extension, etc. Would you guys like me steal it from her (ha) and scan it all?
Yes please

Old Posted Aug 31, 2009, 6:05 AM

Still working on this:
- add Olympic Line
- colour coded the different types of track
- corrected some text and added new text
- enlarged downtown area to reduce crowding

Comments

Anybody have the opening date for Columbia?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2009, 9:43 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

great update again

when your done this one you should do one for Metro Vancouver Road Infrastructure that would be awesome

I know a lot of us could help with info, dates, etc etc but it would be cool to see something similar

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Aug 31, 2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightrail View Post
Still working on this:
- add Olympic Line
- colour coded the different types of track
- corrected some text and added new text
- enlarged downtown area to reduce crowding

Comments

Anybody have the opening date for Columbia?
Found it.. it was Feb 14, 1989 (source here, the very first line on page 6671)

Also, doesn't the future YVR3 station located east of the switch in the flat section before transition to at-grade? It wouldn't make sense if they're placing the station in the pocket track area, right?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2009, 10:40 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
Found it.. it was Feb 14, 1989 (source here, the very first line on page 6671)

Also, doesn't the future YVR3 station located east of the switch in the flat section before transition to at-grade? It wouldn't make sense if they're placing the station in the pocket track area, right?
No, lightrail is right about the location of YVR3.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2009, 3:02 PM

Nice find nname, thanks - I never thought to look in the Hansards. I'll update it and get it posted on Wiki soon.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2009, 7:51 PM

Great job!

Will you post this on Wikipedia?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
Great job!

Will you post this on Wikipedia?
Yes - as soon as I'm happy with it

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 3:47 AM

Story I heard way back was Telus (BC Tel at the time) was asked to contribute to the Boundry station. They said no for financial reasons (It was the middle of a big economic down turn) and some say security reasons (non employees potentially having easier access to the building) The Sky Train folks decided then to build Patterson instead. 15 years later when Telus sold the building (which they now lease back) the value of the building would have been significatly higher with the station, which is a demonstration of how peoples attitudes to rapid transit have changed in the Village of Vancouver since Expo.
Just look at the RAV line. Third trip to the airport on Sunday to/from Yaletown
for/from a flight. Still haven't sat in a seat and me with my suit case & Lap top. I'll be glad when the lookie-lou's get board of it all and stay home. I love those standtions though. You can wedge your back into them and have quite a comfortable ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
The walk from Patterson to Joyce is just over 10min if you follow the track. That means at the farest point you are only ~5min from a station, I just don't see any point ever in a Boundary station. There will never be the density that there is downtown to justify close stations.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 1:47 PM
loafing in lotusland

More importantly, will there every be a (future) station at Stewardson way / 3rd Ave in New West. Lots of big lots around there and I could see a future high density development in that area. Considering that's the longest stretch of uninterrupted station (almost 3km) a station may make sense there.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 5:32 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
15 years later when Telus sold the building (which they now lease back) the value of the building would have been significatly higher with the station, which is a demonstration of how peoples attitudes to rapid transit have changed in the Village of Vancouver since Expo.
I remember when Translink answered questions about the Evergreen Line in the local Tri-cities newspapers. One NIMBY asked the question "Are you going to compensate us for the drop in property value after the Skytrain is built down North Road?" and Translink replied that for the most part, property value has increased almost everywhere adjacent to the Expo and millennium lines.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 6:17 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
More importantly, will there every be a (future) station at Stewardson way / 3rd Ave in New West. Lots of big lots around there and I could see a future high density development in that area. Considering that's the longest stretch of uninterrupted station (almost 3km) a station may make sense there.
no way to put in a station there....no straight segments you have to plan from day 1 for things like that.

I also think Around Home Depot on Terminal in Vancouver would be a great location for a station or at least a connection to the M-line like they had looked into doing but decided against.

Overall I think it is a major error in planning to have the E and M line run beside each other and not connect. Between Broadway and VCC Station there plenty of land to do a connection.

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
More importantly, will there every be a (future) station at Stewardson way / 3rd Ave in New West.
I forgot about that future station - I think New Westminster was pushing for it at one time...

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 8:03 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
no way to put in a station there....no straight segments you have to plan from day 1 for things like that.

I also think Around Home Depot on Terminal in Vancouver would be a great location for a station or at least a connection to the M-line like they had looked into doing but decided against.

Overall I think it is a major error in planning to have the E and M line run beside each other and not connect. Between Broadway and VCC Station there plenty of land to do a connection.
True about Broadway / VCC. However, Stewardson way has a couple of long straight stretches between 22nd and New West.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I forgot about that future station - I think New Westminster was pushing for it at one time...
They were, but it was rejected as there was too much of a grade (Has to be maximum 2%, I think Olympic Village Station is at 2%) and I think a curve around there although some of the Skytrain platform extensions will have to be on a curve I would imagine, and besides I see 150m of straight track so it must be because of excessive grade.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 10:49 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

lightrail, perhaps you can indicate the street-level/at-grade sections with a different colour like you did for the tunnels?

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 5:35 AM

If somebody has permissions to upload images and is willing to upload this diagram to Wiki, let me know and I'll email the svg file to you. Seems I can't upload images to wiki yet.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 6:17 PM

The 48 Mark2s arriving & in service before the Olympics are the only cars on order the 24 for 2010 require the $260 million\yr funding increase which may or may not happen. There is a chance that we may not even see the $130m baseline status quo funding.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure