HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 5:31 PM
DRINK

I would be happy if one of the half dozen TSN channels would show sportscenter over and over again on weekends mornings instead of god damn soccer.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 5:43 PM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
I would be happy if one of the half dozen TSN channels would show sportscenter over and over again on weekends mornings instead of god damn soccer.
And I want SportsCenter free of baseball or golf highlights but we can't get what we want unfortunately.

I deal with it by not watching SportsCenter in the summer and recording it the rest of the time so I can fast forward when baseball highlights come up.

Nobody forces you to watch soccer anyway.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 6:57 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
And I want SportsCenter free of baseball or golf highlights but we can't get what we want unfortunately.

I deal with it by not watching SportsCenter in the summer and recording it the rest of the time so I can fast forward when baseball highlights come up.

Nobody forces you to watch soccer anyway.
Or at least, they shouldn't go through ALL of the baseball highlights (incl. Oakland vs. Tampa, Kansas City vs. Milwaukee) before they get to the CFL...

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Or at least, they shouldn't go through ALL of the baseball highlights (incl. Oakland vs. Tampa, Kansas City vs. Milwaukee) before they get to the CFL...
Sportscentre typically leads off with the CFL, though. Which is as it should be.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 7:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Sportscentre typically leads off with the CFL, though. Which is as it should be.
Well, that's not where I typically get my sports news, but I'd also consider it normal for them to lead off with the Blue Jays on occasion in the summer. Especially if they are doing well. But the rest of MLB before the CFL? No.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 7:43 PM

^ Yeah, they'll make exceptions for things like big NHL games involving Canadian teams, or the Jays when in a pennant race. But by and large it's CFL.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 4:46 AM
Rational urbanist

The Canada West conference's website has streams of just about every football game as produced and called by university students. Couldn't the channels just show those? Production quality is of course quite poor, but you invest in a good camera and eliminate the lag inherent in internet streaming and you could have a halfway presentable product. Even if it doesn't look as pretty as the CFL, surely it's an improvement over Cabbie Presents or the biggest bloopers of the week or something like that

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 12:47 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
The display today at our local Sportchek:

I suspect that it'll be a while before the Raptors' fandom surpasses that of the Leafs in small-town Ontario. If it ever does. There are definitely passionate hoops fans here, but they're still vastly outnumbered.

Interestingly enough, a kid in his twenties with a Laotian background running a restaurant here in town told me that one of his motivations for opening up his business was to have a place to watch Raptors' games with his friends without any interference from hockey. Funny he said that, because it is true that any bar in town with multiple TVs will be showing hockey exclusively during the season, and then baseball and NFL during their seasons, so there's some overlap, but if you ask to watch a Raptors' game you generally get ushered to a TV as far away from the others as possible. That's been my experience, anyway, though it's been a while since I went out somewhere to watch the Raptors.

By the way, it's not unusual at all to see Habs flags, hats and jerseys around here, but I bet you don't see any Leafs paraphernalia in Quebec!

Video Link
Then again, I gotta say, I didn't see any Leafs flags flying here in the hinterlands during their brief playoff run, but I've now noticed two "We the North" standards around here, including out in the countryside:

Makes you think.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 3:17 PM

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 3:40 PM
arf

Congratultions to the Regina Pats as the Eastern Conference champions in the Western Hockey League. First time in 34 years the Pats are playing in the WHL final. I remember listening to the play-by-play on the radio back in the day, staying up way past my bedtime to do so.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 12:23 AM

The Ottawa RedBlacks brought the Grey Cup to NL. There is no football played here. We have more rugby, squash, and cricket participation than football, so it was a strange choice, but the owner of the team is from here so he brought it home.
Grey Cup makes visit to Corner Brook
http://www.thewesternstar.com/sports...ner-brook.html

There's an attempt to try and get youth football off the ground too. It was tried a few years ago but it failed pretty badly, this will be attempt number 2. I am not optimistic.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor3 View Post
The Ottawa RedBlacks brought the Grey Cup to NL. There is no football played here. We have more rugby, squash, and cricket participation than football, so it was a strange choice, but the owner of the team is from here so he brought it home.

There's an attempt to try and get youth football off the ground too. It was tried a few years ago but it failed pretty badly, this will be attempt number 2. I am not optimistic.
It's a shame football is not more popular in NL, MUN is certainly large enough to field a program in AUS. I do recall reading an article somewhere in google news archive from the early 1960s to the effect that a former St FX athletic administrator had tried to get football started in NL but had little success

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 2:08 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GernB View Post
It's a shame football is not more popular in NL, MUN is certainly large enough to field a program in AUS. I do recall reading an article somewhere in google news archive from the early 1960s to the effect that a former St FX athletic administrator had tried to get football started in NL but had little success
Adding Memorial would substantially increase the travel bill for the incumbent AUS football programs. I'd rather they add Dalhousie, New Brunswick, and Holland College (UPEI) first.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Adding Memorial would substantially increase the travel bill for the incumbent AUS football programs. I'd rather they add Dalhousie, New Brunswick, and Holland College (UPEI) first.
It would be nice if the AFL would join the AUS, but none of these ideas are likely to occur.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor3 View Post

Not often you have Squash a more popular sport than football in anywhere in North America, (although I know of a member from Canadian National Squash team is from Regina) but i'd imagine Newfoundland has kept strong colonial ties to sports from years & years ago.
Football in the Midwest and the Plains in North America is top dog, 'Friday Night Lights' culture & College Stadiums of over 100,000 seats & popularity of Dallas Cowboys as World's most valuable sports team etc..

That said though, hockey is the tie that holds all of Canada together in one sport from coast to coast.

Quote:
Originally posted by HomeInMyShoes
Congratultions to the Regina Pats as the Eastern Conference champions in the Western Hockey League. First time in 34 years the Pats are playing in the WHL final. I remember listening to the play-by-play on the radio back in the day, staying up way past my bedtime to do so.
The Regina Pats were the big winner at the WHL awards yesterday, here's hoping for winning the title for league Championships against Seattle starting this weekend, would be wonderful to see success continue for them with all their tradition..

Video Link

Last edited by SaskScraper; May 4, 2017 at 2:03 PM.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GernB View Post
It's slowly starting to gain popularity here. There are four league all under one conglomerate, Football Newfoundland & Labrador http://footballnl.ca/. It's really taken off since it's introduction a few years ago. It takes a long time to start a culture, in 10 years or so I suspect there will be many more football options in the province. Football in itself is a bit of a generational thing here in NL, a large number of people under 30 closely follow the NFL (CFL not so much), whereas it's not very popular with the older generation.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Professional basketball strong possibility for Mile One, decision in 30 days

Mile One Centre could be alive with a new professional sports team next fall.

David Magley, commissioner of the National Basketball League of Canada, told CBC News he expects a decision on expansion to the province within 30 days.

Early indications are the team would be run by members of the St. John's IceCaps ownership group.

"They are people around the IceCaps that absolutely want to keep that venue full," Magley said. "They want to bring pro sports and probably major junior hockey back to that venue so they can all work together."

Nothing on paper, but fast track an option

Magley said no official bid has been made yet, but the process has been ongoing for 60 days.

He visited Newfoundland and Labrador in April to check out Mile One and meet with the prospective ownership group.

"The market fits perfect, the venue is great," Magley said. "The people we talked to have the background and the acumen to be very, very successful. It's a very easy thing to fast-track through when an application is submitted."

The NBL Canada played last season with 10 teams in two divisions — Central and Atlantic.

On Tuesday, the league officially introduced an 11th team in Sudbury, Ont.

A new franchise in St. John's would compete against Sydney, Halifax, Charlottetown, Moncton and Saint John within the Atlantic division.

Junior hockey team preferred, but no expansion imminent

Ten of the 11 cities in the basketball league also play host to a major junior hockey team.

Magley said a partnership between two teams is ideal, since the hockey team normally serves as the primary tenant in the building and the basketball team benefits.

The two teams would share things like sponsors, concession deals and parking contracts.

The Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, however, insists it is not looking at St. John's as an option.

"The QMJHL is not looking at an expansion," said league communications director Photi Sotiropoulos. "We are happy with the current dwellings of our 18 teams and are not looking at relocating any of them."

Market must support travel costs

Magley said travel would not be a hurdle as long as the ownership group understands the need to budget for the added costs.

"It's an issue if the group coming in wasn't cognizant of it. But they recognize that part of their model is a travel budget for them and to help offset for the teams coming to them."

The basketball league started play in 2011 with seven teams. It recruits players from college ranks, both in Canada and the United States, as well as from other leagues around the world.

The highest attendance rate is in Kitchener, Ont., where the home team averages 5,429 fans a night. The lowest is a mere 239 fans per night in Orangeville, Ont., while most teams sit between 1,000 and 2,000 fans.

The St. John's IceCaps averaged 4,103 fans per home game this season in the American Hockey League.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ntre-1.4106772

It could work, as long as Mile One isn't relying on this as it's only form of sporting income. I wouldn't expect sell-outs, however I imagine you could bank on 1000-2000 people per game.

Mile One needs to pounce on a Q team as quickly as they can. It could take a while, but any form of relocation or expansion which may happen in the future needs to be taken advantage of by Mile One. The AHL is dead, and it isn't feasible, so we need to get over it.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 11:22 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Mile One needs to pounce on a Q team as quickly as they can. It could take a while, but any form of relocation or expansion which may happen in the future needs to be taken advantage of by Mile One. The AHL is dead, and it isn't feasible, so we need to get over it.
St. John's will likely have to wait and see how Blainville fares with a new AHL team in Laval for a season. Blainville's attendance is already abysmal and adding a professional farm team of the Canadiens a short hop away may be the final nail. No other Q teams are really in a precarious position ownership-wise and the Q isn't entirely interested in expansion at this point.

If Mile One has both an NBL and QMJHL franchise in two years they'll be doing very well.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 1:30 PM
arf

2-2 in the series between Seattle and Regina for the WHL Championship.

Go Pats!

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 8:35 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

This will hopefully put to rest any fantasy about a Toronto Summer Olympics

https://www.wsj.com/articles/olympic...024-1496170751
Quote:
Olympic Committee Favors Paris in 2024
An agreement taking shape would put the Summer Games in Paris in 2024, with Los Angeles to follow in 2028

By Matthew Futterman
May 30, 2017 2:59 p.m. ET

The International Olympic Committee is progressing toward an agreement that would give Paris the Summer Olympics in 2024 and Los Angeles the event four years later, according to people familiar with the matter.

While important details still need to be worked out, top officials overseeing the Olympic bids for the two cities are conceptually lining up behind the plan, these people said.

The movement toward an agreement follows months of deliberations and negotiations after the two cities emerged as the finalists to host the world’s biggest sporting event in 2024. Getting the deal finalized is contingent on Los Angeles and the U.S. Olympic Committee securing enough incentives that waiting an additional four years for the Games remains financially viable and beneficial to the city, the people said.

That would allow Los Angeles officials to claim victory after they have said for months that their primary aim was getting the 2024 Games.

People involved with the process say the principals on all three sides of the negotiations have agreed in broad strokes to a solution that IOC President Thomas Bach has been pushing the parties toward over the past year.

For the IOC, the deal would lock up two of the world’s leading cities to host coming Summer Games after a tumultuous 2016 in Rio de Janeiro forced the organization to rethink its commitment to holding the event in developing countries. Some major international cities have also shied away from hosting Olympics because they are expensive and thus politically unpopular.

A Summer Games in Paris would mark the 100th anniversary of the last time the City of Lights hosted the event, in 1924. Los Angeles last hosted in 1984.

The 2020 Summer Olympics will be in Tokyo.

According to the people involved, the tide toward a 24/28 deal—as it has become known to Olympic insiders—gained momentum in recent months after Mr. Bach held separate private conversations with Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti and USOC chairman Larry Probst, who has become an influential IOC member over the past four years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada