HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 12:06 AM

Where are Calgary & Edmonton?

Alberta's population is soaring right now and Calgary and Edmonton are the 2 fastest growing cities in the country of over 500,000 yet we never seem to hear anything about them?

Are there simply no Albertans left on this forum? I would love to know what's going on in those 2 cities and especially Calgary and it development and amazing transformation of downtown office space to residential. All we seem to hear about is the delays on Edmonton's LRT?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 12:10 AM
be nice to the crackheads

I'm pretty sure most of the Calgary forumers left a long time ago. If I remember correctly, they didn't feel very welcome in the Canada forum (Calgary did take a fair amount of trolling from a few members), so they packed up, and went elsewhere. Edmonton seems somewhat active here.

It's too bad as I'd love to see what's happening in Calgary right now.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 12:11 AM

Chadillaccc was one of the most prolific photographers in this forum... he left a pretty big hole in terms of Calgary coverage when he got tired of this place and left.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Chadillaccc was one of the most prolific photographers in this forum... he left a pretty big hole in terms of Calgary coverage when he got tired of this place and left.
For sure. I greatly appreciated his contributions. Unfortunately, there was a lot of conflict between him and other forumers.

Edmonton I find has good representation. I'd say fourth after Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 12:18 AM
Community Guy

Edmonton is not that active anymore either, as most have migrated to SkyriseEdmonton, but Edmonton is chugging along, disappointingly with a ton of suburban same old development.

That said, they have some of the more progressive infill bylaws, visioning and course changes of any municipality in the last decade or two.

It's a really unique city in that it has the basis for significant infill, but due to the relatively low cost of housing, short commutes and relatively high urban crime statistics, continues to
face an uphill battle; the value proposition or need to live centrally is low and options for housing are significant, available and accessible for most given the relatively high HHI.

Edmonton Regional Housing Data June 2023

Property Type Median Price
Detached $445,000
Semi-Detached $365,000
Row/Townhouse $232,000
Condo / Apartments $170,000

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 1:13 AM

Calgary is really pricing people out Edmonton has much more affordable and plentiful housing in comparison and would not be surprised if it soon grows faster than Calgary again due to affordability.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 1:30 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

We need to see some of Calgary & Edmonton, but Edmonton is often seen in the photos thread I think. Maybe Calgarians are too sensitive, unlike Vancouver. Vancouver doesn't care about that, it's the honey badger city.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 1:35 AM
I am the law!

Chad hasn't been back probably because there's nothing to flaunt as far high rise construction is concerned. Few over 20 storeys and boxy, window wall towers with spandrel and balconies engineered around the interior floor plan. Nothing heinous. The colour choices are decent. Nothing architectural. Typical with rental in Toronto too although the colour choices are often terrible.

I don't think I'll have to wait too long to see if I'm right. There's signs of the market heating up.

Ottawa is still a problem. It's booming with high rise construction. The line Calgary has more high rise under construction than Edmonton, Ottawa, Whitehorse combined can't be said even if construction stampede in Calgary.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper; Jun 20, 2023 at 1:49 AM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 2:22 AM

The change in Sunnyside in Calgary the last 10 years has been staggering, particularly the last 3. It's now the premier urban neighbourhood of the prairies.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 2:35 AM

I've lived for years in both cities and both have their own unique building and development projects. Personally I like Edmonton more because I like what Canada's most northern metropolis offers in terms of a less in-demand downtown but has an outer core and river valley strata that makes developments unique to certain districts.

If it helps any for Calgary, the two most exciting areas to watch out for at the moment are probably Kensington/Sunnyside/Bridgeland, and Victoria Park/Stampede Station. With the ongoing work of the Stampede district and the pending Green Line, as well as the continuation of the East Village, both these areas will be significantly impacted with collateral development to supplement the master plans.

Now I'm dwelling in Etobicoke and I should be happy (especially with Islington/Bloor coming) but I can't stop watching my home province cities.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 2:49 AM
Mooderator

!!!????

Fuck off who is the biggest. Get your cities together. Assholes.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 5:51 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
I'm pretty sure most of the Calgary forumers left a long time ago. If I remember correctly, they didn't feel very welcome in the Canada forum (Calgary did take a fair amount of trolling from a few members), so they packed up, and went elsewhere. Edmonton seems somewhat active here.

It's too bad as I'd love to see what's happening in Calgary right now.
That’s not why all of the Calgary forumers left. Mods allowed a group of right wing trolls to ruin the local forum and all the OG members left. Too bad really, as it was a tightknit community. I’m still friends with many from the golden age of Calgary SSP. Skyrise has all of the development updates but lacks the sense of community and camaraderie the SSP local had. I’m probably the last Calgary forumer to post regularly in the Canada section. I don’t even check the local forum anymore. It’s tumbleweeds.

Seemingly mods never learned from that experience and have allowed certain notorious culture war obsessed forumers to go unchecked here and that’s starting to chase away good posters from the Canada section aswell.

Regarding the original request for updates I sometimes post some in the skyline thread but usually they are buried by Toronto updates.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 1:50 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
That’s not why all of the Calgary forumers left. Mods allowed a group of right wing trolls to ruin the local forum and all the OG members left. Too bad really, as it was a tightknit community. I’m still friends with many from the golden age of Calgary SSP. Skyrise has all of the development updates but lacks the sense of community and camaraderie the SSP local had. I’m probably the last Calgary forumer to post regularly in the Canada section. I don’t even check the local forum anymore. It’s tumbleweeds.

Seemingly mods never learned from that experience and have allowed certain notorious culture war obsessed forumers to go unchecked here and that’s starting to chase away good posters from the Canada section aswell.

Regarding the original request for updates I sometimes post some in the skyline thread but usually they are buried by Toronto updates.
Oh wow. I had no idea. I guess I was going by what Chad had said.

That's too bad.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 7:18 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Still here.

And to answer the question of the thread title:
Alberta, Canada.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 9:09 PM
Fake News

Here's a recent update I posted showing 10th and the Beltline. Lots of activity going on.

Quote:
From AlexYYC on SkyriseCities:

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 10:50 PM
A Better Place

Edmonton is definitely more active here than Calgary nowadays imo, but it is still busier over on Skyrise Cities for both. For me, I post more there as it is much easier to upload photos of projects than here on SSP where you have to use BBCode and image hosting.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 12:00 AM

^ That's true, the forum software here doesn't do much to encourage easy uploading of photos.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 12:20 AM

Is Acheson the new Okotoks?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 12:22 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
For sure. I greatly appreciated his contributions. Unfortunately, there was a lot of conflict between him and other forumers.
If a standard of conduct/respect for others mattered to SSP, he'd still be here. And he's hardly the only member who got fed up and left.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 3:41 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:

I hear it repeated often enough how there's too much Toronto content here and it drowns out all the other cities, but as a petty little experiment I went through the past 10 pages of the Canadian skylines thread and found that (excluding reposts) in that snapshot of time we've seen:

16 photos/videos of Vancouver
13 photos of Montreal
16 photos/videos of Kitchener
10 photos of Edmonton
9 photos of Ottawa
6 photos/videos of Toronto
5 photos of Calgary
3 photos of Halifax
1 photo of Hamilton
1 photo of Saskatoon

Seems fairly balanced and not Toronto-centric. Toronto content dominates the tallest proposals & u/c threads for obvious reasons; while Toronto posters do seem to be more active in the future skylines and construction update thread - but the problem there is not they're contributing too much; it's that posters from elsewhere aren't contributing enough. Those threads would be dead if not for the contributions of those Toronto forumers. This feels like a classic Canadian tall-poppy-syndrome complaint to me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada