HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

53W53 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 1:38 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
the transfer of development rights which Russell seems so upset about - where landmark buildings sell their air rights to a developer who can make good use of them - is a long-established part of New York construction economics: it's not some obscure loophole which the developer of this building is abusing.

In any case, the air rights aren't the problem. Russell's main issue is with the building's "thick, looming, lower floors" - a description at odds not only with the renderings but also with common sense, given the narrowness of the lot. And those floors could easily have been built without any transfer of development rights.

I'm very glad that developers are still thinking tall in New York - a city which still very much defines itself by its iconic skyline.
Exactly what I've been saying.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 2:23 PM

Someone email that James S. Russell dork the link to or better yet, that entire Portfolio.com editorial. For a so-called architecture critic for Bloomberg News, Russell might learn a thing or two from someone who actually has a clue.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
And yet, here you are, with not an iota of intelligence to add to the conversation. Do yourself a favor, and read. In fact, you'd be doing us all a favor.
People aren't perfect, so please stop this imbecile talk and realize that you took what I said out of context.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I have a low tolerance, and can see bs coming a mile away...
I have low tolerance for people who aren't patient.

Please stop posting opinions on what someone will say; you don't know what i'm going to say, regardless if it's BS or not.

If you continue to purposely antagonize me for no reason, then rest assured i'll soon tell a moderator.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 5:43 PM

Nyguy.. yer getting told on........

Smh Nyguy is a veteren here JDR.. just give it up and walk away from the 'battle'.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 6:21 PM

^

Immature nonsense.

There is no battle! It's irrelevant whether someone is a long-time user on this site; rules are rules.

Last edited by JDRCRASH; Jan 15, 2008 at 6:43 PM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
There is no battle!

Hence the quotation marks.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 2:11 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
I have low tolerance for people who aren't patient.

Please stop posting opinions on what someone will say; you don't know what i'm going to say, regardless if it's BS or not.

If you continue to purposely antagonize me for no reason, then rest assured i'll soon tell a moderator.
Get lost already. Your entertainment value is nonexistent.

The topic at hand here is 53 West 53rd Steet.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 5:52 PM

Then do your part and stay on topic and stop filtering my comments.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 6:48 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Is it just me or is there a wiff of TalB in this thread?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 1:20 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Is it just me or is there a wiff of TalB in this thread?

There's definitely a wiff of something...just some kid who needs attention. He'll go away, eventually.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 5:18 AM

Don't count on it.

I never was looking for trouble here.
Unfortunately, hypocrisy is a serious internal flaw. For some reason, people get away with irrational and baseless comments.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 10:30 PM
Urban Explorer

Why does this happen in almost every NY thread? I feel like every other week some new "pundit" comes here just to let all of us know how stupid and hypocritical we all are, without realizing the inherent flaws in his own arguments. It would almost be amusing, if it weren't sickeningly annoying.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 12:57 AM

^For quality New York building discussions, go to wirednewyork.com. I love SSP for the most part, but some of its aspects really make you want to go elsewhere. Thankfully, there are usually places where you can fulfill whatever SSP lacks in.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 5:56 PM
FriskyDingo

So is there any real new news on this project or are we gonna get to bragging about how big our..., umm skyscrapers are. Seriously though NYguy you da man, dont get sucked into a pointless arguement, your too good for that.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
Why does this happen in almost every NY thread? I feel like every other week some new "pundit" comes here just to let all of us know how stupid and hypocritical we all are, without realizing the inherent flaws in his own arguments. It would almost be amusing, if it weren't sickeningly annoying.
You've completely taken my comments out of proportion.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 9:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
^For quality New York building discussions, go to wirednewyork.com. I love SSP for the most part, but some of its aspects really make you want to go elsewhere. Thankfully, there are usually places where you can fulfill whatever SSP lacks in.
We'll miss you Lecom, but I guess I can catch your posts over at wirednewyork.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 10:01 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLksuGUY View Post
Seriously though NYguy you da man, dont get sucked into a pointless arguement, your too good for that.
Of course I am...

Quote:
When MoMA Director Glen Lowry started talking up the sale, he said the site would support a development of about 210,000 square feet. Although much about the mix and final size of the building is still being worked out, a size greater than 500,000 square feet is bandied about.

How does Hines do it? Company officials wouldn't explain except to say that the buildable square footage already has been legally established. Exactly how it's done won't be publicly known until Houston-based Hines files for a required special permit, which it intends to do early this year.
We're still waiting on the finer details...

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 7:43 PM
Ascension

I'm extremely hopeful that this goes up. Not only is this a landmark skyscraper (in a city of landmark skyscrapers) but I'm really excited at how this 'blood pulsing through veins' lighting scheme plays out. The only building that I can think of that resembles W. 54th is Bank of China and that building looks awesome at night. So we shall see.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 1:37 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
I'm extremely hopeful that this goes up. Not only is this a landmark skyscraper (in a city of landmark skyscrapers) but I'm really excited at how this 'blood pulsing through veins' lighting scheme plays out. The only building that I can think of that resembles W. 54th is Bank of China and that building looks awesome at night. So we shall see.
Of all the skyscrapers planned and under construction in New York right now, this one is my favorite. Its New York as it was always meant to be...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive