HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 10:47 PM
Vancouver User

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh View Post
Talking of restaurants near Waterfront Station...
Remember Rogue restaurant? Wasn't that there for about a year then it disappeared?
Think you're recalling the prior incarnation... was it called The Station or something?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfBC View Post
Rogue is still in operation at Waterfront Station.

Ron.
Oh, that's good that they haven't left downtown. Expansion is great.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 11:59 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Rogue is bad, really bad. The place it took over was by the same owners and was called Transcontinental.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 12:52 AM
life in the present

Six Degrees, former Crime Lab space, foot of Denman ( Coal Harbour ) is t*ts up. Looks like a landlord lockout with all the nasty notices posted on the door ( how embarrassing ).. they owe over 55K just in rent and I don't think they were there more than a couple of months!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 5:01 AM

it was called terminal before wasn't it? they changed the name and redid the concept and seem to be doing better with the changes

Old Posted Jul 7, 2012, 6:18 PM

From a walk along Main last night: the old Ciprianos is now a vegetarian resto called The Acorn. The old Coppertank Grill is now Portland Craft specializing in NW beers (seriously guys, just painting over the Coppetank sign is cheesy)

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 1:44 PM

Wow.. big loss here.. RIP Anthony.

From CKNW:
"Celebrity Chef Anthony Sedlak died suddenly Friday night in his North Vancouver apartment, at age 29, from an undiagnosed medical condition."

Ron.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 5:52 PM
life in the present

Cosca..Food for the Village.. on Denman is gone.. looks like another landlord lockout, odd, it was always packed, went there twice, great the first time, ok the second, the owner / manager was a little over bearing and aggressive as were the servers but otherwise not a bad place for otherwise 'iffy' Denman Street.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2012, 5:07 PM

Apparently Miku (upscale Japanese) will be relocating from Guinness Tower to the former Aquariva space at Granville Square. It will include a patio.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2012, 8:21 PM

Earls @ Hornby and Smithe is closed for renovations. This was a surprise as it's not that old. They must have a new concept to try.

pic by Built Form

Old Posted Jul 21, 2012, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
Apparently Miku (upscale Japanese) will be relocating from Guinness Tower to the former Aquariva space at Granville Square. It will include a patio.
Not sure how I feel about this. I love their current location. I'd hate to see them move and then lose the magic.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2012, 11:13 AM
Be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Not sure how I feel about this. I love their current location. I'd hate to see them move and then lose the magic.

The new space has triple the space for about the same cost, and is in many ways a better location.

The magic is going to be hard to recreate, but I think that is more about the people than the space.

Last edited by Sir Conga; Jul 31, 2012 at 12:13 PM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2012, 7:38 PM

Portland-themed restaurant opens in Vancouver, B.C.

It sometimes seems like restaurants across the country are emulating Portland's dining ethos: small, chef-owned restaurants with lots of pork belly, craft beer and in-house everything. Today, you can find Oregon products -- cheese, nuts, wine, etc. -- on restaurant menus everywhere from Charleston, S.C. to Tokyo.

But a new Canadian restaurant has gone one step further.

Vancouver B.C.'s Portland Craft is a Portland-themed restaurant, emphasizing "locally sourced offerings inspired by the Portland food scene paired with the best craft beers & beverages Oregon has to offer."

From the website:

Portland Craft is dedicated to furthering and supporting the concept of craft in all aspects of our establishment, from kitchen to tap. We respect the artistry and workmanship that goes into beer, wine, and cocktails, as well as the farming of organic meats & produce from our community. We support and use produce from local backyard gardens.

Yeah, that sounds pretty Portland.

http://www.oregonlive.com/dining/ind...urant_ope.html

Old Posted Jul 28, 2012, 7:51 PM

storey about artigiano taking over starbucks location on robson - i didn't know it opened so fast...

Vancouver independent coffee chain strides into the footsteps of a giant (with video)

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Van...#ixzz21wsmBZrC

Old Posted Jul 29, 2012, 4:01 AM

I was at Artigiano this afternoon. Pretty darn busy--all the tables were filled. But the Hornby location still makes the best mocha.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 9:07 AM

Fatburger has opened on Davie just west of Thurlow.

pic by Built Form

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post

Vancouver B.C.'s Portland Craft is a Portland-themed restaurant, emphasizing "locally sourced offerings inspired by the Portland food scene paired with the best craft beers & beverages Oregon has to offer...
I wonder if they'll import junkies & tweekers or use home grown?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 9:39 AM

A new poutine chain from Ontario, Smoke's Poutinerie is opening 3 downtown locations.

One @ 942 Granville which will open in October.
Another @ 1682 Robson and an as yet undetermined Gastown location.

pic by Built Form

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 4:48 PM

the on on granville is that in the newly constructed building next to the roxy?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
It sometimes seems like restaurants across the country are emulating Portland's dining ethos: small, chef-owned restaurants with lots of pork belly, craft beer and in-house everything. Today, you can find Oregon products -- cheese, nuts, wine, etc. -- on restaurant menus everywhere from Charleston, S.C. to Tokyo.

Vancouver B.C.'s Portland Craft is a Portland-themed restaurant, emphasizing "locally sourced offerings inspired by the Portland food scene paired with the best craft beers & beverages Oregon has to offer."
I'm not sure how Main St. is supporting all these bar and grills but they all seem to do pretty good business.

Portland Craft at 22nd and Main.

Service - I'm not fussy, as long as the people are nice, which they were.

Food - I ordered a burger, which arrived in a timely manner, but the ground beef patty was completely mushy. Maybe it was supposed to be like that, I don't know, but it grossed me out and I couldn't eat it.

Drink - I don't order anything fancy, just your basic highballs. Hard to screw that up. But for some reason they serve high-ball drinks in mason jars, which I thought was pretty tacky.

Ambience - There is a massive blank wall that is painted the wrong colour (imo), and the ceiling is exposed wilson joists with metal decking. Combine that with the large windows at the front and the 20 foot ceilings, and that makes the place feel cavernous and sterile.

I was sitting at the bar and I could see an over flowing box of dirty rags, as well as all of the staffs belongings hap-hazardously stored in plain view behind the bar. The washroom was clean tho.

Prices - I don't recall being surprised one way or the other, so they must have been around average.

This place is terrible in my opinion, but I've only been there once so maybe they're still working out the kinks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining