HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 1, 2014, 5:59 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckett5425 View Post
I think this is great for New Orleans, but I am a little concerned with the user experience. Usually, when someone thinks of urban shopping, one street/district comes to mind, in every city. I don't know how I feel about having small clusters of shopping around the CBD versus one shopping district/street, such as Canal.

I think having a centrally located shopping district would create the best experience for locals, tourists, and suburbanites. Regardless, it's nice they are breathing some life into this end of the CBD.
Tourists don't go furniture shopping, especially not at a chain store where they probably have one closer to home. Arhaus is aimed purely at New Orleans residents. The rest of the development will have a similar focus, not on fashion but on food/dining/housewares. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Williams-Sonoma in later phases.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2014, 7:26 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Tourists don't go furniture shopping, especially not at a chain store where they probably have one closer to home. Arhaus is aimed purely at New Orleans residents. The rest of the development will have a similar focus, not on fashion but on food/dining/housewares. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Williams-Sonoma in later phases.
Or maybe Sur la table...

Old Posted Feb 1, 2014, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Tourists don't go furniture shopping, especially not at a chain store where they probably have one closer to home. Arhaus is aimed purely at New Orleans residents...
It depends. If Arhaus ships out then I'm sure there will be some tourists making purchases if they see something they like. Especially if there is no Arhaus where they live...

Old Posted Feb 1, 2014, 10:45 PM

I don't really know Arhaus, but New Orleans is certainly a regional if not national destination for things like antique furniture and art, so I could see people from the rest of the state or Gulf coast visiting this place.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2014, 8:53 AM

I thought Crate & Barrel would have been considered.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2014, 4:41 PM
TL;DR

I would prefer Crate & Barrel (better style) but I guess they don't see a market in New Orleans yet. Whatever, we're getting a West Elm at least.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2014, 8:02 PM
-

Cb2 , the container store things like that can all still be in future phases. or in the Paramount...

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 6:55 PM

Greg LaRose from City Biz posted on twitter today that developers are proposing a $120 million 21-story hotel development at 400 Canal street. 400 Canal is the Sanlin building. LaRose said more details to follow.

I would say this probably means the demolition of the Salin building but overall I think this would be a great development for Canal street. Hopefully, the developers have a good track record and have a strong hotel operator.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickapedia View Post
Greg LaRose from City Biz posted on twitter today that developers are proposing a $120 million 21-story hotel development at 400 Canal street. 400 Canal is the Sanlin building. LaRose said more details to follow.

I would say this probably means the demolition of the Salin building but overall I think this would be a great development for Canal street. Hopefully, the developers have a good track record and have a strong hotel operator.
More details here - http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...-at-400-canal/

Article says a Marriott; if you look closely it is a Residence Inn and I think a Springhill Suites.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 7:21 PM

Here is the City Biz Article on it:

A New Orleans-based property owner is partnering with a Minnesota firm on a planned $120 million hotel near the foot of Canal Street.
A 21-story hotel is being proposed for the 400 block of Canal Street. The property owner is teaming with a Minnesota-based company for what would be a $120 million project. (Rendering courtesy Mathes Brierre Architects)
A 21-story hotel is being proposed for the 400 block of Canal Street. The property owner is teaming with a Minnesota-based company for what would be a $120 million project. (Rendering courtesy Mathes Brierre Architects)
Wischermann Partners, Inc. and Jayshree Hospitality LLC are co-developers of a proposed 21-story, 373-room hotel at the corner of Canal and Tchoupitoulas streets. The property, which would also include a ground-level restaurant and a 168-space parking garage, would operate under the Marriott Hotel brand.
Shaun O’Laughlin, vice president of development and construction for Wischermann, said the developers hope to break ground on the project by the end of this year with an 18-month construction time frame. He said the
development would create more than 1,000 construction jobs, 350 full-time jobs and produce roughly $3 million in sales taxes annually.
According to records from the Secretary of State, Jayshree Hospitality LLC is a New Orleans-based company Kishore “Mike” Motwani formed in November. In addition to owning most of the upriver 400 block of Canal Street, Motwani holds several properties in the French Quarter.
Wischermann Partners is a hospitality development,
acquisition and management firm based in Minnetonka, Minn.
Todd C. James, a project manager for Mathes Brierre Architects, one of the designers on the project, said the development’s design would incorporate some of the historically significant elements of existing buildings within the proposed hotel’s footprint, specifically the granite colonnades on the building at the corner of Tchoupitoulas and Common streets. He said the developers are also conducting research of the land to determine if there are any remnants of a plantation that once occupied the site to be incorporated into a small museum at the hotel.
To make room for the project, the development group is seeking approval to demolish four buildings along Tchoupitoulas Street and a ground-level parking lot on Canal Street. James said developers plan to submit the project for review by the Historic District Landmarks Commission by the end of February so that it can be up for review by March. The hotel would also require a height variance waiver from the city.
The development team will be holding a neighborhood participation meeting at 5 p.m. tonight at the Riverview Room inside Jackson Brewery, 600 Decatur St.
James said the team plans to present the project and discuss demolition of the buildings within the footprint of the hotel.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 7:22 PM
life is good

^^^Yep

(picture posted in the article, "Rendering courtesy Mathes Brierre Architects")

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickapedia View Post

Looks like the Sanlin Building will be left alone, the developers own the riverside of the block and the rendering appears to keep it intact. I'm very happy about this project!! I just hope the height-nazi crowd doesn't make an appearance saying the airspace is too historic to alter.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
^^^Yep

(picture posted in the article, "Rendering courtesy Mathes Brierre Architects")
Here's a bigger version of the same:

It looks like the Sanlin building would survive. I'm not quite sure I see how the granite colonnades are incorporated in the design (is it supposed to be through the row of concrete pillars running along the top of the Canal side of the rendering?) The proposed demolished buildings on Tchoup look good to me, even if they are not particularly architecturally important. Not sure if HDLC is going to be on board with tearing them down. Good to see one of the worst corners of Canal redeveloped, even if it is for a Residence/Springhill. I know the city is pretty built out on Marriott brands already, but we don't have an EDITION or BVLGARI flagged hotel yet ... who doesn't put New Orleans in the same breath as Istanbul, London, Milan, Bali, & Tokyo?!?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 10:34 PM

I would be a fan if the Sanlin facade will be taken off and the Greek Revival beneath were to see the light of day once again.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 10:45 PM

It's certainly encouraging to see a project of this scope being proposed, especially with the Drury Expansion, the project on Baronne St. and the proposed WTC redevelopment all adding hotel rooms. However I do think it would be more prudent to try to incorporate the existing buildings (minus the t-shirt shack). Even though they make not be historically or architecturally significant, I think they do add a lot of character, which this building does not. I'm not against development at all, but I would personally prefer to save the buildings and know that this could be a source of strong opposition to the project. There are still dozens of empty blocks near this site and I wish that more developers would look to those areas first, or consider redeveloping the few remaining vacant structures.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 2:31 AM
TL;DR

Huh. Not the quality of architecture I'm looking for (needs to get rid of that gallery and the facades look like a cheap tower in Florida) but I dig the corner with the big retail supergraphics and the LED spire.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 3:05 PM

There is going to be a fight over this (especially considering they may tear down buildings and this building may never get built after the fact).
I'm not opposed to a tower at all but not at the expense of tearing down the brick buildings on that corner.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowngirl View Post
There is going to be a fight over this (especially considering they may tear down buildings and this building may never get built after the fact).
I'm not opposed to a tower at all but not at the expense of tearing down the brick buildings on that corner.
The problem of making sure the building gets built before demolition can be fixed by requiring the developers to put the money in escrow ahead of time. As far as saving these buildings, I'm all for preservation, but there's literally 10 blocks of this identical design along Decatur and N. Peters. It would be awesome if the developer dismantled the buildings and relocated them to empty historic blocks like along Rampart or the opposite side of N. Peters. Someone with some power propose that please!

Quote:
...needs to get rid of that gallery and the facades look like a cheap tower in Florida
It's not so bad, it's just hard to tell from the low graphic rendering how quality the materials are (that black might be onyx for all I can tell), but I definitely like the galleries. It'd be a fun place to spend Mardi Gras, and it makes the building more pedestrian friendly (you can avoid the sun and rain, something New Orleans gets a lot of). I hate in other cities' downtowns when you're walking along a big building with no protection, makes me appreciate NOLA.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 3:46 PM

Those buildings are not noteworthy. If you care that much about that style run over to Carondelet and Poydras and get to work on that blighted structure and the Factors Row building nextdoor.

How bout we give them permission to proceed if they agree to restore the historical facade of the Sanlin building next door?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 4:37 PM

Personal opinion, but I always thought of New Orleans as an example to the rest of the nation not to waste the built environment but to build around and complement what is already built, to honor the past. I can't see why we would be patronized by a developer that want's to destroy more of New Orleans' history in the swing of ONE wrecking ball than most cities have in their entire downtown. Incorporating only parts of the building (the granite) into this sounds like a joke and an encroachment on this city's way of life. I'm not trying to sound poetic, New Orleans is unique, and it shows in the fabric of our city, the built environment as is and has been, not in what someone from another part of the country thinks it should be~~~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://nola.curbed.com/archives/2014...own-corner.php

Last edited by nola3; Feb 4, 2014 at 8:29 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations