HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 8:38 AM
Eamus Catuli!!!

Cool CHICAGO | Trump Tower | 1,389' Official / 1,198' Roof | 96 FLOORS

Here's the link to the last page of the old thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...100944&page=80

Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will themselves not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die. - Daniel Burnham

Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 6:48 PM
Yippie Ka Yay!

1 more rendering of it:

Construction:

^Pictures by i am hydrogen

Contestant's answer: Because they have no balls to scratch?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 8:06 PM
Chicagotom SSC

I saw someone ask for a shot from the AON. Nice pic I_am_hydrogen.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 9:43 PM
1st Ward

I love the 2nd rendering in the first post. it looks insane!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
I love the 2nd rendering in the first post. it looks insane!
Yeah I agree. This tower is going to be amazing.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 11:52 PM
BANNED

^^^ Every render STR does makes the subject look insane! I can't imagine that render with the facade we are seeing now on it! Wow, that will be hot!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2007, 10:10 PM
devout Pizzatarian

now that we can see a good chunk of the building with its facade, does anyone want to predict at this preliminary stage whether this one will have the magic to join the architerally elite residential skyscrapers in our city (hancock, lake point tower, marina city)? is this building mostly remarkable just for it's extreme height and highly visisble location, or is there that extra special something going on here?

i don't have definite answers to these questions; i keep waivering back and forth.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 2, 2007 at 10:45 PM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2007, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
now that we can see a good chunk of the building with its facade, does anyone want to predict at this preliminary stage whether this one will have the magic to join the architerally elite residential skyscrapers in our city (hancock, lake point tower, marina city)? is this building mostly remarkable just for it's extreme height and highly visisble location, or is there that extra special something going here?

i don't have definite answers to these questions; i keep waivering back and forth.
Its not an earth shattering inovation of design like the other buildings you mentioned; however, this building is pretty remarkable in its concrete structure (it will be tallest in the city, upon completion) and its contextualism is a strong design statement in a building of this size.

I think this building will be among the elite upon completion, but I feel CS will steel all the thunder away from this one.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2007, 11:09 PM

Which is why Trump's next building (if he makes one) will be that much better, to "fight" against the Chicago Spire.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2007, 11:35 PM

it's a nice building, with a solid design, but I don't think it's iconic by any stretch of the imagination. In any other location, it would have been just another really big glossy building, and probably not stand out much other than fot its height and bulk (Water Tower Place comes to mind as a building that fades into the background due to its design, despite its large size).

But since Trump has one of the most visible and high profile locations in the city it's kind of inevitable to look at it (in the same way it's almost unavoidable that you look at Park Tower when you are around Lake Shore Park). It'll certainly be one of the buildings you remember, but I don't think it'll be one that people really love. In my opinion the design doesn't spark the imagination the way the John Hancock or Marina city buildings do. Doesn't mean it's a bad design at all, like i said, it's a solid building, but doesn't quite rise above the architectural pack (which is admittedly hard in a who's who of architecture city like Chicago).

Old Posted Apr 2, 2007, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisMolotov View Post
Which is why Trump's next building (if he makes one) will be that much better, to "fight" against the Chicago Spire.
Well as long as it doesn't look anything like his tower going up in Vegas. I saw it the other day; the curtain wall is almost finished

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 12:44 AM
http://djsnola.tumblr.com

Thats because Trump actually had a hand in the Vegas Towers Design. He sure likes his Gold!!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Thats because Trump actually had a hand in the Vegas Towers Design. He sure likes his Gold!!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn View Post
I think this building will be among the elite upon completion, but I feel CS will steel all the thunder away from this one.
I am sincerely not trying to troll here, but I highly doubt CS will happen. Be happy with Trump, it's shaping up to be a world class beauty.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 3:38 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcu View Post
OMFG!

ANYONE who ever said or even thought a negative thing about TTC needs to take a hard look at this ... and let out a huge sigh of relief.

Seeing the tower cranes now from Grant Park is a real joy - and they are popping up in a few very surprising places. The tower is also starting to really have an impact on the Courthouse district of River North. That area is going to feel much more urban and enclosed when TTC is finished.

Last edited by honte; Apr 3, 2007 at 3:44 AM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 4:13 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
now that we can see a good chunk of the building with its facade, does anyone want to predict at this preliminary stage whether this one will have the magic to join the architerally elite residential skyscrapers in our city (hancock, lake point tower, marina city)? is this building mostly remarkable just for it's extreme height and highly visisble location, or is there that extra special something going on here?

I say no. I think the building is too conservative and lacks any sort of real way that its actually advancing skyscrapers.

Height doesn't do it for me...and it has a SPIRE

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Is this building mostly remarkable just for it's extreme height and highly visible location, or is there that extra special something going on here?
Nothing revolutionary, just a Zelig that serves the site and broader context well. To my eye the most revealing aspect is the effect on Mies work. The IBM building finally has a partner it can muscle up against. Bertrand's towers contrast well but don't bring the testosterone and the Sun Times looked like it already had been stomped by its neighbor.

I suppose the additional height still could muck it up but I can't see it.

I do have concern that the bad winter wind at State and the river will be turned it into a flash freezer with the addition of a super tall.

That gold screams 1982. One of those beasts is hard on the cloverleaf at 90/290 in Schaumburg. Burn out your retinas in the summer afternoon rush. Of course the all time gold plated s&^t box is Oral's God awful tower in Tulsa. I believe the architectural style is known as "Bling".

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 12:28 PM
let's work together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyward View Post
That gold screams 1982. One of those beasts is hard on the cloverleaf at 90/290 in Schaumburg. Burn out your retinas in the summer afternoon rush. Of course the all time gold plated s&^t box is Oral's God awful tower in Tulsa. I believe the architectural style is known as "Bling".

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyward View Post
Nice way to sum it up. I do think the mid-rise you are referring to is technically in Rolling Ghettos rather than Scumburg.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 3:42 AM
Wow, only I have a face?

Quote:
is this building mostly remarkable just for it's extreme height and highly visisble location, or is there that extra special something going on here?
I am abslutely in love with this building. The old barge-like Sun Times was out of place and did little to "stir men's blood." Yes TTC is big. But what fuels my passion for this building is that you are never really looking at it. To gaze upon it is to see Chicago reflected in it. The mirrored clear blue sky and the old literally reflected in the new is what makes it remarkable.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive