HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 9:38 PM

i like them!

so i guess this building is moved to "completed" once they finish the landscaping downstairs, but I feel like a good symbolic completion mark is the final lighting of the spire (and crown hopefully) if they ever do that

Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 5:33 PM

Loading dock on lower Kinzie/Wabash

Plaza Dec 3rd

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 2:28 AM
Show me the blueprints

Beautiful. Anyone know when the stair railings are going on?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 2:35 AM

The quality of the landscaping around this building really is top notch. I was in town for Thanksgiving and even the wife who usually could care less about architecture said "Wow, this is really nice."

Any idea what the retail tenants will be?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
The quality of the landscaping around this building really is top notch. I was in town for Thanksgiving and even the wife who usually could care less about architecture said "Wow, this is really nice."

Any idea what the retail tenants will be?
Nothing has been announced.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 5:13 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

One thing I have thought about pertaining to the Trump and South River walk is that whenever both have retail in place is that in the winter months (especially on cold arse days like right) that being down near the river is the last place many will want to go.

I wonder if there could be any temporary structures that could be made to span the walkways for customers/browsers to be protected from the elements. Yea, such a rigged structure may look a bit dumpy and haphazard for a few months out of the year but I do wonder if some of these river front retail spots will be effective dead zones for months out of the year.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 8:11 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Nothing has been announced.
^ Yeah, that doesn't bode well.

All this spending on a very attractive, lavish multilevel riverwalk....yet no retail tenants.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 12:17 AM

I absolutely LOVE this tower!...

But why is it still in the "Super-tall Construction" area... Hasn't it been complete for the last few months?...

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveve View Post
I absolutely LOVE this tower!...

But why is it still in the "Super-tall Construction" area... Hasn't it been complete for the last few months?...
On Empoeis, we're going to be changing it to complete. Here, I don't know if people just want to wait for the plaza to be completed or not.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 4:59 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

I think it's fair for it to stay here. Heck, if the BofA Tower in NY is for some still in the U/C then why not this one where work is actually still being done.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 8:05 PM
dream fast

12-12

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 11:50 PM

The real estate bust is really a bummer as every Chicago thread moves to completed, or stagnates "on hold".
The last decade really was a good one for skyscraper fans...
This tower is great, and the street level plus riverwalk is even better.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2009, 4:54 AM
tilted & shifted

Taken today:

Old Posted Dec 13, 2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
All this spending on a very attractive, lavish multilevel riverwalk....yet no retail tenants.
The more you think about it, the more bizarre this is.

Trump must be doing it for image reasons - they're probably being very, very picky about the brands they let in.

If you think about it, consider what kind of hotel rates Trump Hotel could charge with say Cartier, Louis Vuitton, etc. on the first floor, versus having a cellphone store, a Talbot's, an Abercrombie & Fitch, etc. Not to mention the cachet of the condos and the resulting real estate prices. Gotta believe there is some premium - even if it's only like a $10/night or $20/night difference (plus consider differences of like just $1 or $3 or $5 in drinks, room service, mini-bar, dry cleaning, etc.) it can add up quickly. I am pulling these numbers out of thin air but you get the idea.

Obviously other factors drive hotel rates and real estate prices, but Trump Hotel is a freestanding brand and not established in Chicago, so the guest/buyer needs some kind of nudge or idea of what level of quality they're paying for. Just speculating, but I bet Trump could seriously discount their first floor to some ultra-luxury retailers and they could "make back" the money with their hotel and services rates. At least for the first several years.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2009, 3:14 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Trump must be doing it for image reasons - they're probably being very, very picky about the brands they let in.
That's actually a very good point, and a very 'Trump' thing to do. Makes sense; you just built this brand new upscale hotel and condo tower, why settle for anything less than luxury when it comes to retail or anything else for that matter...

Old Posted Dec 13, 2009, 10:48 PM

This section is now closed, it will act as an archive for projects that were under construction as it was taking place.

To continue to talk about the Trump Tower or any other project in this section a new thread would have to be created in Buildings & Architecture and continue it there.

Also the cross linking between the diagram section will link the new thread to the diagram for Trump in the database, since now it's a "Built" building.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive