HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Aug 25, 2007, 6:07 PM
BANNED

You can create an iconic representation of the Chicago skyline with just the crude outlines of 4 buildings - Sears, Hancock, Aon and Smurfit/Stone. Just fill in the rest with nondescript boxes, and it will still be instantly recognized as "Chicago". The Trump Tower will never be in that league, in my opinion. Too bad. With a little more daring on Trump's part it could have been.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2007, 7:09 PM
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
You can create an iconic representation of the Chicago skyline with just the crude outlines of 4 buildings - Sears, Hancock, Aon and Smurfit/Stone. Just fill in the rest with nondescript boxes, and it will still be instantly recognized as "Chicago". The Trump Tower will never be in that league, in my opinion. Too bad. With a little more daring on Trump's part it could have been.
Me thinks the Spire will gladly take one of these spots.

Edit And while I think that the Trump building is a nice looking design, I do agree that more could have been done, particularly in the height department. Although it's not too late to go higher if Mr. Trump sees fit.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2007, 7:12 PM

^ dalton, you might be right, but I sure am going to appreciate Trump. Sears, JHC, and aon are amazing black and white buildings. They're what I've grown up with, and its just going to be so weird to see something blue/green/clear/whatever sticking up out of the skyline. I don't think we can be too sure how well trump will be perceived, but i like it so far. Especially around midnight after they "turn downtown off". When its finished, I bet even Alliance will warm up to it (you know. alliance. trump's most boisterous, persistent critic?)

ok, alliance, given the fact that they cheaped out on the glance (even adrian smith said so), and that's a pretty big thing, but given the fact, is it possible for you to get around the fact? Do you think maybe the wavy glass is blinding you to any of the other finer attributes? Besides,the glass looks just fine when its clear, and when it is reflecting nothing but blue sky. Cameron Diaz (and many many other movie stars) looks phenomenal (IMHO) in movies and magazines, but in person on bad days? Pretty fugly... get what I'm saying?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2007, 11:40 PM
Cleared for takeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
The Trump Tower will never be in that league, in my opinion. Too bad.
You'd be surprised. It's not necessarily the qualities that are intrinsic to the building, its the fact that it will become an indistinguishable part of Chicago. It's more of Chicago making Trump than Trump making Chicago. It's similar to how Hilton makes Paris and not Paris making Hilton...

Old Posted Aug 28, 2007, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexxed82 View Post
were there ever renderings released of what the park/lobby/entrance will look like?
yeah. go to the SOM Trump Tower page and click "click for image gallery" at the bottom. There are a couple water color drawings of the base.

What do you think they'll do about the trees? plant saplings? Are more mature trees ever transplanted for a more immediate effect?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2007, 1:22 AM
Registered

^ Yes, they often bring in more mature trees.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2007, 1:34 PM
Closed account

For most instances where trees are required by the landscaping ordinance trees of at least 2" caliper are used in the city of Chicago. I would suspect that is what they would plant here even though they arent specifically required for this location. The city would make sure that they dont bring in fragile plant stock because of the magnitude of this project so im sure their site plan calls for at least 2". That would put the trees at about 10' tall and they should have decent body at that size. Generally in designs like this where plants have to make a profound impact, plants of larger size are used.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2007, 2:20 PM

They'll use mature trees - not much more expensive. My mom had to replace one, storm damage or something, in Evanston - had the option of the city planting a sapling or covering 50% of the cost of a mature tree. I think her 50% was only $150 or something. Planting even a hundred trees at $300 a pop is a drop in the bucket for this project.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2007, 5:21 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Sunday August 26th:

Old Posted Aug 28, 2007, 6:02 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ for a guy who hates this tower as much as you do, you certainly captured some pretty flattering images of it.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2007, 6:15 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

I know...isn't that great?

Thanks

Old Posted Aug 28, 2007, 6:43 PM
Chicagotom SSC

I hadn't realized that the glass panels are being installed up the riverfront face of the building where the construction lift has been.
Originally posted by Alliance

Old Posted Aug 28, 2007, 6:55 PM

[QUOTE=museumparktom;3036594]I hadn't realized that the glass panels are being installed up the riverfront face of the building where the construction lift has been.

Still are - does this mean the crews must now park on the upper levels ?

Last edited by harryc; Aug 28, 2007 at 6:55 PM. Reason: clip out pic

Old Posted Aug 28, 2007, 6:59 PM

[QUOTE=harryc;3036620]
Quote:
Originally Posted by museumparktom View Post
I hadn't realized that the glass panels are being installed up the riverfront face of the building where the construction lift has been.

Is there a freight elevator(s) inside that they will be using instead?

Aside from people, what kind of things gets hauled up these elevators?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2007, 7:11 PM

[QUOTE=harryc;3036620]
Quote:
Originally Posted by museumparktom View Post

They'll probably park under Wabash Avenue. Remember when the viaduct was rebuilt, parking was built underneath.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2007, 7:25 PM

[QUOTE=BVictor1;3036647]
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post

They'll probably park under Wabash Avenue. Remember when the viaduct was rebuilt, parking was built underneath.
parking for 30 cars max. Still a pair of streets ( lower Hubbard & Wabash ). looks like the gates will come down some day - makes me detour on my way to the spire. Also heavily used for stuff coming in ( cement, compressors, steel, .. )

And a proposed route for the circulator system ( light rail )

Old Posted Aug 28, 2007, 8:27 PM
"The World is my Oyster"

Discovery Channel show, “Build it Bigger” to feature Chicago’s Trump International Hotel and Tower

Architect and stand-up comic now hosts Discovery architecture series

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Chicago, IL, US (NCS) - The Discovery Channel has launched “Build it Bigger,” a new architecture and engineering television series that evolved from last year’s “Extreme Engineering” program. The new show, which debuted in July, airs Tuesdays at 10 p.m. ET/PT.

Read full story

Last edited by Marvel 33; Aug 28, 2007 at 8:46 PM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2007, 8:32 PM

Amazing photography, Alliance. Pictures like these make me giddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
looks like they're finishing up the glass at the edges of the parking ramp?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2007, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel 33 View Post
Discovery Channel show, “Build it Bigger” to feature Chicago’s Trump International Hotel and Tower
I assume no one knows yet what date the Trump episode will air, right?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2007, 9:45 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ for a guy who hates this tower as much as you do, you certainly captured some pretty flattering images of it.
beat me to it! whats not to like about this beauty??? great shots

I took some similar shots too that I need to edit and post.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive