HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Devon Energy Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Oklahoma City Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 4, 2009, 3:35 AM

Devon has already started site prep work on the property. And as world construction prices go down, the likelihood of Devon Tower being built goes up. Devon has already had the cash set aside for the project, and now it looks like it will cost less than they have planned for.

Scrapped skyscrapers benefit Devon
Construction Costs for tower may drop
BY STEVE LACKMEYER
Published: April 3, 2009

Planned skyscraper projects are being scrapped around the world, leaving Devon Energy looking at significant potential cost savings as it proceeds with construction of its 54-story world headquarters.

Klay Kimker, Devon’s corporate services manager, is aware that some local residents worry the economic downturn will claim its tower, as well. But both Kimker and Chief Executive Officer Larry Nichols say the project is still on track.

"We were very hopeful when we started the project that costs might go down,” Kimker said. "There were some indications that some of the pricing was high historically. And obviously any reduction in cost is of benefit to Devon and to the project.”

Devon estimated the tower’s cost at $750 million when project designs were unveiled in August. Kimker said any cost savings won’t be known until after a contractor is hired. Interviews with the top two finalists are ongoing and a choice is expected within weeks.

John Wood, project manager with Hines, the tower developer, thinks speculative skyscraper construction will be a lot less common in the future.

Two years ago, as Devon was preparing to make public its plans for a tower, skyscrapers were being announced across the country in what was a "go-go economy,” Wood said. Lenders, he said, were fueling the construction with aggressive interest rates and terms.

"There has been a fundamental shift in how real estate projects are capitalized,” Wood said. "And there are definitely a lot of people out there who think it’s a permanent shift.”

Wood, however, thinks towers — like the one to be built for Devon Energy — will continue to be built as companies look to modernize their workspaces.

Competition heats up
Just a year ago, Oklahoma contractors were worried about labor shortages and some public works jobs had to be readvertised because of a lack of bids.

That may be changing. Douglas Tapp, executive director of the Oklahoma Association of General Contractors, is already seeing out-of-state companies bidding for local jobs.

"Obviously, there’s not as much work as there was eight months to a year ago,” Tapp said. "We’re still doing OK. Most are feeling fairly comfortable through this year. The problem they (Oklahoma contractors) are running into is there isn’t enough work coming out on the bid board now that will carry them into next year.”

Tapp said the industry is waiting to see how much of the Devon tower project employs local labor. The project, he said, might be timed perfectly with the expected drop in jobs.

"We’re pretty comfortable there will be some of our state players involved,” Tapp said. "I’m not privy to how they’re going to split it up. You would hope that once the big tower gets going and started, it might trigger some other entities to start their work.”

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 3:06 PM

It's getting built. I work for the company that is building it and they will begin mobilizing the site this summer. It is a joint venture between Flintco (Oklahoma City CM based in Tulsa), Holder Construction based in Atlanta, and Hines (developer).

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 4:15 PM

^^^ Great news! This tower is beautiful.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 6:40 PM
Squint Like Clint

This is good news indeed, this tower is going to be incredible

Old Posted Apr 15, 2009, 8:12 AM

Congrats OKC! Just curious, how does a 54 story building become 925ft? I am looking at the building plans trying to figure this out. I realize that there is an elemental structure but it doesnt seem to be 200ft or so. For example, republic one in Denver is 56 stories and only 714ft. Also, in Chicago, the chase tower is 60 stories and only 850ft. Can someone break this down for me as to how there can bo so much variation in height?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2009, 5:23 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Perhaps a better tower to compare it to would be the Bank of America tower in NYC, with 53 floors and a parapet height of 945 ft.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2009, 7:01 PM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVER 2012 View Post
Congrats OKC! Just curious, how does a 54 story building become 925ft? I am looking at the building plans trying to figure this out. I realize that there is an elemental structure but it doesnt seem to be 200ft or so. For example, republic one in Denver is 56 stories and only 714ft. Also, in Chicago, the chase tower is 60 stories and only 850ft. Can someone break this down for me as to how there can bo so much variation in height?
Bear in mind as well that today most buildings are being constructed with higher floors including the Bank of America in NYC AND this project as well.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2009, 10:17 PM
Ex Houstonian

OKC! Woot woot! Ill have to go out there and see this baby once construction starts. Whoda thunk it? I am so glad that a Midwestern state that nobody tends to think about is finally getting a decent sized tower!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVER 2012 View Post
Here are some elevation drawings:

(link to image) http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...helevation.jpg

The numbers are hard to read, but the podium/atrium section which is 6 floors is 130 feet, so that's an average of more than 20 feet per floor. These levels include presentation and meeting spaces. The 47 office floors are 715 feet, so an average of 15 ft tall which is pretty standard. The crown element is 60 feet and there are two mechanical floors that I guess will have to do with some of the LEED platinum features.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 5:13 AM

Thanks everybody for clearing that up!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 8:25 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

I hope it gets built. What a beauty of a tower.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 8:50 PM

" Go OKC! "

Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelingman04 View Post
I hope it gets built. What a beauty of a tower.
Unless something catastrophic happens our company is slated to begin construction in October, with site mobilization beginning later this summer.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 2:54 AM

Wow, already months ahead of schedule. They weren't supposed to start prep until this fall originally. Looks like Devon is not going to waste any time, it has already gotten all the nods.

IMO, this is just the beginning for downtown OKC in terms of new high rises that make an impact.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 6:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuresooner View Post
Wow, already months ahead of schedule. They weren't supposed to start prep until this fall originally. Looks like Devon is not going to waste any time, it has already gotten all the nods.

IMO, this is just the beginning for downtown OKC in terms of new high rises that make an impact.
Not to mention the great addition to the streetscape.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 3:20 PM

Devon Tower architect says project on track, going well despite economy
by Kelley Chambers
The Journal Record April 16, 2009

OKLAHOMA CITY – Jon Pickard has spent his career designing buildings around the world.

Jon Pickard, principal of Pickard Chilton, gives an update on the plans for the Devon Energy world headquarters Wednesday to members of the American Institute of Architects Oklahoma chapter. (Photo by Maike Sabolich)

When he was hired by Devon Energy Corp. last year to design a world headquarters in downtown Oklahoma City, he knew it needed to be iconic.While the start of construction on the 54-story tower is still at least six months away, Pickard said the planning process has been surprisingly smooth.

“Normally on a project of this size and complexity you reach a moment where you say ‘Oh, my gosh, we’re off track,’ and you have to recalibrate,” he said. “This project has been as graceful and disciplined as any project I have ever touched in my entire career.”

And despite frozen capital markets and a drop in natural gas prices, the company still plans to keep the project on schedule with a completion date of 2012.

Klaholt Kimker, president of Devon Realty Advisors Inc., said work on the tower could begin as soon as October. He said the project can benefit from a slowdown in global construction that has lowered the cost of some building supplies and has freed up a pool of subcontractors from around the country.

The price tag for the project is expected to cost between $750 million and $800 million.
The only activity at the site now is a city project to realign an underground truck dock and move the entrance from Sheridan Avenue to Hudson Avenue.

A detached auditorium that was not part of the original plan when it was introduced in August is on the drawing board at the corner of Sheridan and Hudson avenues.

Pickard said if the company decides to build the auditorium, it will help define the urban face of the project on that corner. Kimker said Devon officials are still trying to determine if the auditorium is a good addition to the site on that corner.

Devon senior officials and the design team meet every two weeks in Houston to discuss the project. When construction on the site begins later this year, the meetings will be moved to Oklahoma City.

Pickard said he has been impressed with the thoroughness of Devon officials and the ability of Devon CEO Larry Nichols to spot even the slightest discrepancy in the drawings and plans.

“You go in prepared and you have the answers,” Pickard said.

With ongoing projects around the globe, Pickard said the Devon project has been an enjoyable process because of the support and encouragement of Devon and the local community.

“It will probably be a decade before I touch a project that is this much fun,” he said.

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 9:17 AM
Big City Enthusiast

I hope, with the declining costs of construction and materials, that Devon will go ahead and raise the building height to +1000 feet. May as well add the 75 feet and give OKC the title of tallest building west of Chicago (outside of LA) for the immediate forseeable future. Plus, that added height would ensure LEED Platinum.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 6:02 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
I hope, with the declining costs of construction and materials, that Devon will go ahead and raise the building height to +1000 feet. May as well add the 75 feet and give OKC the title of tallest building west of Chicago (outside of LA) for the immediate forseeable future. Plus, that added height would ensure LEED Platinum.
What is your basis of linking height with LEEDS?

-sb

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 11:38 PM
JoeCooper

Construction this 925 foot gem starts October 1st!

I thought this was definetly worthy of my 1,000th post!

Experience is a winner for Devon contractor

"Flintco, the contractor that built Ford Center , the Oklahoma City Museum of Art , two downtown hotels, and renovated the convention center, Civic Center Music Hall and the Skirvin Hilton will next add the state’s tallest skyscraper to its downtown Oklahoma City bragging rig..."

BY STEVE LACKMEYER
Published: May 28, 2009

Klay Kimker, president of Devon Realty, said Flintco, in a joint venture with Atlanta-based Holder Construction, is set to begin construction on the company’s 54-story world headquarters Oct. 1. The contract was completed Tuesday night.

New schedule

The schedule outlined by Flinto Holder bumped the start of expansion of the City Center West Garage from July 1 to Oct. 1, meeting Devon’s desires to shorten the inconvenience to downtown workers, Kimker said.

http://newsok.com/experience-is-a-wi...rticle/3373091

Last edited by CHAPINM1; Jun 20, 2009 at 1:01 AM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2009, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 View Post
I thought this was definetly worthy of my 1,000th post!

Experience is a winner for Devon contractor

"Flintco, the contractor that built Ford Center , the Oklahoma City Museum of Art , two downtown hotels, and renovated the convention center, Civic Center Music Hall and the Skirvin Hilton will next add the state’s tallest skyscraper to its downtown Oklahoma City bragging rig..."

BY STEVE LACKMEYER
Published: May 28, 2009

Klay Kimker, president of Devon Realty, said Flintco, in a joint venture with Atlanta-based Holder Construction, is set to begin construction on the company’s 54-story world headquarters Oct. 1. The contract was completed Tuesday night.

New schedule

The schedule outlined by Flinto Holder bumped the start of expansion of the City Center West Garage from July 1 to Oct. 1, meeting Devon’s desires to shorten the inconvenience to downtown workers, Kimker said.

http://newsok.com/experience-is-a-wi...rticle/3373091
Awesome news! I'm glad this is finally getting started. OKlahoma City is one of my favorite towns, and deserves a tower such as this!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive