HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 2:03 AM

Some new images I found off loopnet, one with a more updated siteplan and another rough rendering that seems way off with the Hotel being too tall, and the apts being to short and skinny

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 4:44 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Just heard from a buddy of mine at AZ Center that they received construction notices for AC starting on Monday. Also, traffic cones have been placed all along the sidewalk on 3rd. Looks like we are seeing action soon!
Well if you think that’s crazy I hear some guy might go out to look at this site in about three or four weeks! Who knows what he’ll say! He might have a camera and computer with him so watch out!

I kid but updates about traffic cones placed for a highrise is the biggest non-event in memory. 🤣 Lordy this thing is slow. Maybe the developer is splitting his time with the Pier. 😀

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 3:17 PM

Construction fence is going up around the AC Hotel site. Looks like the southeastern garage elevators will be blocked.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhite View Post
Construction fence is going up around the AC Hotel site. Looks like the southeastern garage elevators will be blocked.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 6:18 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhite View Post
And they all shouted "HALLELUJAH!!!"

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 4:22 PM

Just a small update on the hotel site, they replaced the construction fencing on two sides of the site facing Az Center with a plywood wall to better shield people walking near the site from the construction activity. They are removing some of the landscaping and putting down the gravel to prevent trucks from tracking out onto the street.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 6:06 PM
self-important urbanista

I noticed that yesterday while walking through the AZ Center to get some lunch. Unfortunately, during the same visit, I overheard a visitor, probably here from abroad due to a strong accent and limited English, asking a restaurant employee where the shops were. She had some time to spare and was looking to browse some stores. The restaurant employee had to inform the visitor that there are almost no stores at the AZ Center and recommended Scottsdale Fashion Square instead. If I had been a party to the conversation, I would have at least tried to keep it in Phoenix city limits with a referral to Biltmore Fashion Park. Nevertheless, it's sad that with all that's going on at the AZ Center and nearby portions of Downtown, so much of its retail space remains vacant.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 6:33 PM

Why does it matter what city she shops in? I wouldn't have sent someone to the small group of shops at Biltmore either, Fashion Square is clearly the best place if someone is looking for non boutique shopping.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Why does it matter what city she shops in?
Tax revenue.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 6:58 PM

So we should suggest our tourists have a less than ideal time because we selfishly want the tax revenue from her two t shirts? I don't think that's a good way to make people want to come back.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 7:27 PM
Modulator

Quote:
So we should suggest our tourists have a less than ideal time because we selfishly want the tax revenue from her two t shirts? I don't think that's a good way to make people want to come back.
If she were just buying t-shirts, I'm sure Biltmore and even Downtown has more than enough of those. As long as visitors flock to the suburbs to buy their stuff, Downtown will not get the foot traffic it needs to invest into more retail. The suburbs are competition. Pointing a visitor to Scottsdale instead of trying to point her somewhere else nearby is just directing more money away from Downtown and hurting the adjacent businesses for potential sales.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 8:33 PM

Quote:
If she were just buying t-shirts, I'm sure Biltmore and even Downtown has more than enough of those. As long as visitors flock to the suburbs to buy their stuff, Downtown will not get the foot traffic it needs to invest into more retail. The suburbs are competition. Pointing a visitor to Scottsdale instead of trying to point her somewhere else nearby is just directing more money away from Downtown and hurting the adjacent businesses for potential sales.
Downtown does not have the population (with the right income) to have a high class retail presence.

We have some very expensive apartments and Condo's being built, luxury shopping comes after.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 8:39 PM

Quote:
I would have done the same as that restaurant employee if I felt it would help the lady. I'm not the Chamber of Commerce putting my own wants and needs ahead of others for the sake of trying to help only the hyper-local economy. Just my two cents.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 8:52 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Why does it matter what city she shops in? I wouldn't have sent someone to the small group of shops at Biltmore either, Fashion Square is clearly the best place if someone is looking for non boutique shopping.
In addition to the reasons mentioned above, I would also consider travel expense and time for the requestor. A lot depends, though, on what she was asking for. I didn't hear overhear everything, so it's hard to say for sure. If she was asking for the biggest assortment of high-end stores to occupy her for several hours, then SFS would be the best answer by far. If she was seeking a decent but not overwhelming array of shops for an hour of browsing within a 20-minute drive, BFP might have been better. In any case, my main point here isn't Phoenix vs. Scottsdale. It's that even though the AZ Center signs advertise "shops" as part of the tenant mix, there are actually so few that she was left wondering if she was in the right place.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 8:59 PM

I guess I interpreted it as Phoenix vs. Scottsdale when I read this part:

"I would have at least tried to keep it in Phoenix city limits with a referral to Biltmore Fashion Park"

I'm not trying to make a stink about it. I just sort of read this as putting your civic pride ahead of someone's happiness which would be a bit of a lame thing to do, I think.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 12:25 AM

Quote:
I guess I interpreted it as Phoenix vs. Scottsdale when I read this part:

"I would have at least tried to keep it in Phoenix city limits with a referral to Biltmore Fashion Park"

I'm not trying to make a stink about it. I just sort of read this as putting your civic pride ahead of someone's happiness which would be a bit of a lame thing to do, I think.
and that's based on the assumption that one would find a "happier" experience at Scottsdale Fashion Square than at the Biltmore Fashion Park which has a decent array of shops (clearly not compared to the largest shopping center in the state!)

Also - what definition of "boutique shopping" do you refer to? Is Fashion Square not filled with precisely that; boutiques? ? ?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 12:31 AM

I don't think there's a single boutique in fashion square. It's all international corporate chain stores.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 3:25 AM

Quote:
I don't think there's a single boutique in fashion square. It's all international corporate chain stores.
Fascinating - not my understanding of the word . . . perhaps in relation to accommodations IE: hotels but not in the shopping world . . . chain or not, a boutique is more defined by other traits . . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boutique

Anyhow, this is obviously semantics and your point was understood!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I noticed that yesterday while walking through the AZ Center to get some lunch. Unfortunately, during the same visit, I overheard a visitor, probably here from abroad due to a strong accent and limited English, asking a restaurant employee where the shops were. She had some time to spare and was looking to browse some stores. The restaurant employee had to inform the visitor that there are almost no stores at the AZ Center and recommended Scottsdale Fashion Square instead. If I had been a party to the conversation, I would have at least tried to keep it in Phoenix city limits with a referral to Biltmore Fashion Park. Nevertheless, it's sad that with all that's going on at the AZ Center and nearby portions of Downtown, so much of its retail space remains vacant.
If the person was truly an international visitor - consider what most international 'city' areas are like: tons of shopping. None of that in downtown PHX. Downtown Scottsdale is probably the closest to it that we have. So I could see why she was sent there - the problem is, if this person is downtown for a convention or business trip, then downtown Scottsdale is out of the way.

I think we are years away from that sort of shopping showing up downtown - but I suppose if we keep getting more and more residential towers that actually fill with...residents, then demand will certainly emerge. Would be nice if AZ enter could contain shops like that - like it used to originally.

Which brings a question - of all the recently built residential towers (Steward/Link) - does anyone have any sense of % of occupancy?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 2:18 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
If the person was truly an international visitor - consider what most international 'city' areas are like: tons of shopping. None of that in downtown PHX. Downtown Scottsdale is probably the closest to it that we have. So I could see why she was sent there - the problem is, if this person is downtown for a convention or business trip, then downtown Scottsdale is out of the way.

I think we are years away from that sort of shopping showing up downtown - but I suppose if we keep getting more and more residential towers that actually fill with...residents, then demand will certainly emerge. Would be nice if AZ enter could contain shops like that - like it used to originally.

Which brings a question - of all the recently built residential towers (Steward/Link) - does anyone have any sense of % of occupancy?
Stewart has been filling up steadily. I am seeing a lot of balconies starting to get plants/furniture on them. I don't think Link has officially opened yet?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest