HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 3:53 PM
Modulator

So, MLS has posted an update for the next round of expansions and it appears that St. Louis is current front-runner for the next expansion team followed by Sacramento with Phoenix, Indy and Charlotte jockeying for the remaining of the 32 team expansion in a few more years. I think Phoenix is really getting the shaft on this as Rising has everything they need to build an MLS stadium in place. Apparently, rumor has it that MLS prefers a U.S. based billionaire and one from China is what's hurting our chances. Sounds pretty biased to me. A billionaire is a billionaire. Who cares where they come from if they are ponying up the money to build an MLS stadium

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
So, MLS has posted an update for the next round of expansions and it appears that St. Louis is current front-runner for the next expansion team followed by Sacramento with Phoenix, Indy and Charlotte jockeying for the remaining of the 32 team expansion in a few more years. I think Phoenix is really getting the shaft on this as Rising has everything they need to build an MLS stadium in place. Apparently, rumor has it that MLS prefers a U.S. based billionaire and one from China is what's hurting our chances. Sounds pretty biased to me. A billionaire is a billionaire. Who cares where they come from if they are ponying up the money to build an MLS stadium
Too bad, the Rising games are packed and fun and Im not even a Soccer fan.

I dont know what MLS is thinking, you'd imagine the Hispanic population alone would skyrocket Phoenix and Sacramento to the top.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 4:39 PM

Quote:
St Louis? That market can't even support an NFL franchise - why would they think MLS would thrive there. The people there clearly said 'no' to a new stadium for the NFL and they lost their team as a result.

MLS should be looking at this in terms of market size - that alone would put Phoenix in the lead. There's some strange bias here.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
St Louis? That market can't even support an NFL franchise - why would they think MLS would thrive there. The people there clearly said 'no' to a new stadium for the NFL and they lost their team as a result.

MLS should be looking at this in terms of market size - that alone would put Phoenix in the lead. There's some strange bias here.
Yeah, it's weird. We seem to tick all the boxes--largest market without a team, great demo numbers for young/Hispanic fans, USL success, selling out games, stadium plan, billionaire owner...we even got Drogba on board. But every time official stuff comes out, we seem to be an also-ran.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 4:17 PM
Modulator

A little bit on the Coyotes and their potential future. This squashes any relocation rumors outside of Arizona. However, Glendale still appears off the menu for a long term solution.

https://arenadigest.com/2019/08/14/a...-from-settled/

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 4:18 PM

Quote:
A little bit on the Coyotes and their potential future. This squashes any relocation rumors outside of Arizona. However, Glendale still appears off the menu for a long term solution.

https://arenadigest.com/2019/08/14/a...-from-settled/
And this is exactly why the diamondbacks wont leave, If even the coyotes after all this time and threat cant get out then the Dbacks certainly wont.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 4:21 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
And this is exactly why the diamondbacks wont leave, If even the coyotes after all this time and threat cant get out then the Dbacks certainly wont.
The exception being that the Coyotes have never threatened to leave (maybe once?) and have not engaged other cities for a potential future. The DBacks have already been caught talking with other cities...namely Henderson. Also, baseball is much bigger than hockey. It's not as hard to sell a baseball team relocation as a hockey relocation. Not saying I believe the Dbacks will go anywhere...but they HAVE been shopping around.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 7:15 PM

Quote:
The exception being that the Coyotes have never threatened to leave (maybe once?) and have not engaged other cities for a potential future. The DBacks have already been caught talking with other cities...namely Henderson. Also, baseball is much bigger than hockey. It's not as hard to sell a baseball team relocation as a hockey relocation. Not saying I believe the Dbacks will go anywhere...but they HAVE been shopping around.
That's not really fair. The DBacks didn't reach out to cities or solicit bids outside Arizona. A city was trying to recruit them. It happens often. You cannot blame then if a city reached out to them. And not, they didn't have discussions about it, but you cannot prevent cities from trying to recruit you pubically.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 11:15 PM

Arizona Diamondbacks explored use of Cardinals' stadium as emergency home

Well this is a head scratcher. The only 2 scenarios I can think of here are that the DBacks really think that Chase Field is in such disrepair (think roof/structural issues here) that it may be dangerous to play in OR they entertained the idea of rehabbing Chase Field and are looking for another temp home to play in during the construction work? If they really are considering building a new ballpark somehwere else, why pay for an engineering assessment??

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...rt/2032317001/

Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 12:07 AM

Or a third option, they're making idle threats in an attempt to convince the public to cover more costs.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Or a third option, they're making idle threats in an attempt to convince the public to cover more costs.
Ding ding ding,

“Alright city council, we’ll stay but you better give us 400 million dollars and tax incentives”

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Ding ding ding,

“Alright city council, we’ll stay but you better give us 400 million dollars and tax incentives”
Or that lol

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 8:59 PM
Modulator

And here it is. St. Louis gets an MLS team before we do. I'm not sure what MLS is thinking on this when we have the market, the ownership and a plan for a fully private funded arena. Guess we will have to wait for the next round.

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/ml...sion-team-2022

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 1:19 AM

Quote:
And here it is. St. Louis gets an MLS team before we do. I'm not sure what MLS is thinking on this when we have the market, the ownership and a plan for a fully private funded arena. Guess we will have to wait for the next round.

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/ml...sion-team-2022
I wouldn't be surprised if Phoenix never gets an expansion team in MLS unless there is a guarantee that ownership will build something like State Farm Stadium where there is a natural grass field and an air conditioned stadium. The Season runs from March to October. No one WANTS to play a game outdoors in Phoenix in June, July, and August (and parts of September), which is half the season.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 1:25 AM
Skyriser

I guess that begs the question--why can't they use State Farm Stadium if there's no overlap?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I guess that begs the question--why can't they use State Farm Stadium if there's no overlap?
Especially considering that stadium hosts soccer matches on a regular basis for international teams.

I would however suspect that they'd have the same problem the Coyotes have - getting east valley fans to the games.

But hell, St Louis couldn't support an NFL franchise - why do they think they can support an MLS franchise?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Phoenix never gets an expansion team in MLS unless there is a guarantee that ownership will build something like State Farm Stadium where there is a natural grass field and an air conditioned stadium. The Season runs from March to October. No one WANTS to play a game outdoors in Phoenix in June, July, and August (and parts of September), which is half the season.
Sacramento got a team and they arent much cooler, teams play all over the equatorial regions of the earth in sweltering heat AND humidity all year.

If cold isnt a serious concern for sporting events than neither is heat. Its the same argument for walk-ability, people blame heat for why people dont walk around despite hot cities like phoenix having far more pleasant mild days every year than any northern urban city

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 3:13 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
The stadium plans released stated they would have features that would counter-act the heat and help keep the fans and field cooler than the outside temp. Plus, if anyone thinks that playing in MLS open stadiums in Orlando, Dallas or Houston are any cooler than here in AZ, they are mistaken. Heck...when I lived in Ohio, sitting at a Columbus Crew game in 87 degree weather was pretty brutal when the humidity was factored in.

Also, the Rising games currently sell out every game. So if the fans are willing to sit in a pop up stadium with no overhead or shade or cooling whatsoever, they will come for a full-blown MLS stadium that is designed to be cooler.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 5:14 PM
High Voltage

Ratz...St. Louis, seriously?

I was really hoping that common sense would come into play and MLS would choose Phoenix as the next expansion. It's a perfect market for MLS and would do extremely well here. I know, I am not saying anything new, just really disapointed. MLS is dropping the ball on a really good opportunity, don't know what their bias is, but it can't, or shouldn't, be for some of the aforementioned reasons stated above in this thread.

Houston and Columbus were mentioned. Sure, those places are not has hot, but gawd the humidity in the summer.....

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 1:18 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Sacramento got a team and they arent much cooler, teams play all over the equatorial regions of the earth in sweltering heat AND humidity all year.

If cold isnt a serious concern for sporting events than neither is heat. Its the same argument for walk-ability, people blame heat for why people dont walk around despite hot cities like phoenix having far more pleasant mild days every year than any northern urban city
You can add layers to protect yourself from the cold, short of going full on thawb which would probably get you shot you can't as easily protect yourself from the heat. You can also warm up much faster than you can cool down.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest