HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 12:27 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
i haven't met anyone in this city yet who likes trump tower. and i talk about architecture with lots of people.
I haven't met anyone in this city who doesn't like Trump so far and I rarely talk to people who have any knowledge of architecture whatsoever. I think they are mostly just in awe of how big and shiny it is, but whatever, its the opinions of the proletariat that count since they will be looking at this tower the vast majority of the time. We call all site here and bitch about its minor imperfections all we want, but most people disagree... Most people in this city that I meet hate how Hancock looks but love it as an icon, I have a feeling Trump will be the opposite, most average people will like how it looks, but not consider it an icon at all...

I agree with what Steely will say in the next post, I can't say I know everyone, but it seems most of the random people I talk to or over hear talking on the street or bus like it.

Also, my friends opinions of Trump are much less positive when I show them pictures of the Spire and Waterview next to it. They almost invariably like the Spire or Waterview more than Trump...

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 12:27 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
i haven't met anyone in this city yet who likes trump tower. and i talk about architecture with lots of people.
i'll leave it at that unless you wanna pm me this question.
the tiny fraction of people you know hardly constitutes "pretty heavy support from most people in this city". the fact is that neither you nor i know if most people in this city like or dislike trump tower, so any claim you make on such a topic is highly suspect.

as for kamin, well, i should probably save my opinions of him for another thread.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 12:34 AM

I live downtown, and I love this building..... For the people that don't like it, they are entitaled to their opinions. However, I do believe that at one point in time, the Hancock building was seen as a eye-sore for the city when it was first built, but now is a architectual marval that defines our city!
I say to all the "NAY SAYERS"..........let them finish it, and let it grow on us first!
Then only thing I know, is that a lot of other cities would love to have this building!

Thanks!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 1:06 AM
Registered

Quote:
i haven't met anyone in this city yet who likes trump tower.
Your place or mine?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 2:29 AM
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:

now that's craftsmanship!

at lunch today i walked by on lake and wabash, and i think it's already too tall! this thing is HUGE!!! it really kills the feel that use to be there

i know i give this tower a lot of hell but really, it's not so much the design of the building... it's how this thing feels from street level. i think it really ruins the whole area. a building this big is too imposing on that site. that's how i felt today at lunch. take it or leave it.
That part of the walkway is not finished yet. It is still blocked off to pedestrians.

If you think this building is imposing on the site, I wonder how you'll feel about the Spire.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 2:31 AM
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
the tiny fraction of people you know hardly constitutes "pretty heavy support from most people in this city". the fact is that neither you nor i know if most people in this city like or dislike trump tower, so any claim you make on such a topic is highly suspect.
seriously.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 3:22 AM
tilted & shifted

Taken today:

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 4:11 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
Your place or mine?
Can I come?

Trump is not an eyesore and I sincerely doubt that this is an instance of "fear of the future" (ala Eiffel). I think some people, perhaps many, end up with a favorable opinion of Trump because its big, shiny, and the first supertall in 30 years (like we owe the building something). I think its better than most supertalls U/C in the world, especially including some of the crap thats going up in some other countries, but that doesn't make it good either.

Trump still has some flaws that I think it has failed to answer for. To me, its not a bad tower, but its not really something to get excited over. Its an infill supertall.

Alliance's Just Constructed Skyscraper Rating Scale.

10 - Iconic
9 - Excellent
8 - Strong
7 - Good
6 - OK
5 - Average
4 - Iffy
3 - Bad
2 - Crap
1 - Horrendous
0 - Abomination

In my book its a 5-6. Nothing to get really excited over. Oh, and as soon as its spire goes up, it gets a 1 point penalty.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 5:24 AM

^^^

Phenomenal picture, Hydrogen!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 5:48 AM
tilted & shifted

^Thanks.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 8:43 AM

A few shots: 02/23/08

My patriotic shot.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 3:22 PM
Looking up!

Gosh, I feel like the minority now, but I'd have to give the building a 9.

Taken yesterday, 2/23/08

I'll also admit that I love Chicago architecture as well. The Trump Tower may not be iconic in many people's eyes, but it just clicked with me. The way the setbacks match the buildings around it and the way it curves to reflect the Chicago River (haha, pretty sexy for a building!). LOL, I'll admit, the "shiny-ness" and how tall it will be also makes me love it even more.

I guess the only bad part of the building for me is how it overwhelms when you look at it close up, and how the IBM building is almost completely covered, but this is a lot better, in my opinion, than the Sun Times building of before.

I'll also agree that this building may be more eye popping to the random pedestrians that cross the bridge on Michigan Avenue and the Chicago River, as I always here people talking about it in their own language (I hear "Trump Tower" even though they are not speaking english) and even taking pictures of it. I'll also never forget waiting for the Michigan Ave. Festival of Lights parade, and people looking back and saying how nice the tower looks, despite it not being finished.

Will visitors and Chicagoans eventually place the Trump Tower with the likes of the John Hancock Center? I guess only time will tell!

Last edited by NBear927; Feb 24, 2008 at 3:44 PM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 5:25 PM

This building may not be iconic architecturally, but it certainly brings attention to the space and it forces you to not only up, but also around, because in that specific location, there are so many spectacular buildings to behold.

How many people on this forum have noticed people walking along south Michigan Avenue or other places, and never look around to experience the space. I think that this especially true for most Chicagoans. While tourist and first timers to the area marvel at the cityscape, a lot of times, we as Chicagoans take it for granted.

Because of this buildings contextualist design, it kind of pulls together and enhances its neighbors. I think that if this tower were being constructed in another city, we'd be in awe, but because the Chicagoans on this forum are quite critical of design, for many, it's just "okay".

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 6:12 PM

02/23/08

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 6:24 PM
World Machine

On the scale made by Alliance, I'm giving it an 8-9. The building is a home run in my book. It seems the be a perfect fit for the site and is incorporated well with the area. It also makes a good street divider.

As far as Trump's track record goes with his buildings, this one is (IMO) one of the best he's produced. Something different than his traditional 'international black' facades, but overall I think he achieved what he was going for. The building doesn't look terribly gaudy, and I think with time it'll age better into the city fabric like Marina City has.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 6:37 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

^^^ (See below) Comparing this to Marina City is clearly a morbid lack of understanding of what Marina City is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Because of this buildings contextualist design, it kind of pulls together and enhances its neighbors. I think that if this tower were being constructed in another city, we'd be in awe, but because the Chicagoans on this forum are quite critical of design, for many, it's just "okay".
I like this comment.

Ironically, if it were being constructed in a differnt city, it would totally loose its contextualism and then just suck .

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 6:48 PM
World Machine

Okay, I see what your saying Alliance. Would you not agree though that this type of architecture is equal to Marina though in the sense of something different then its surroundings?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 8:28 PM
The City

Some people here complain that the tower overwhelms them up close.

What's wrong with being overwhelmed? Isn't that what massive supertalls are supposed to do?

Are we supposed to think they're cute or something?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 8:41 PM
BANNED

^^^ Why yes, you know that Hancock and Sears are the two cutest little buildings you've ever seen! Awww look how cute they are! They are no ugly brutes like that nasty Trump Tower!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 8:53 PM
Looking up!

Overwhelming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Some people here complain that the tower overwhelms them up close.

What's wrong with being overwhelmed? Isn't that what massive supertalls are supposed to do?

Are we supposed to think they're cute or something?
Actually, that would have been the only complaint of mine for the Trump Tower. It's actually not a big complaint at all, especially since this building looks so much better than the Sun Times building. I really love the way the Trump Tower looks.

The only reason why I said that is how beautiful the IBM building looked during the sunrise. How it's windows would turn bronze colored. While I'll miss that, the Trump Tower already changed my opinion, and I can't wait for it to be completed.

And I don't want to be off topic, but cute buildings (like the Jeweler's Building) are awesome as well, tall or small.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive