HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 7:21 AM

It's a great way to cool off on a hot day if your on a boat!!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbotnyse View Post
you are finding new things everyday to hate about this tower. i dont get it.
Are you talking about the gold columns or the glass? Gold columns would have sucked, big time. As for the glass, I'm sort of indifferent. Personally, I prefer a more mirrored look but I want to wait until the tower is complete to see how the overall effect turns out.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 12:40 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotrequired View Post
Are you talking about the gold columns or the glass? Gold columns would have sucked, big time. As for the glass, I'm sort of indifferent. Personally, I prefer a more mirrored look but I want to wait until the tower is complete to see how the overall effect turns out.
The glass. I'll be perfectly happy if I never see gold anywhere on a skyscraper. I honestly think the glass looks like any other glass in the city.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 2:06 PM
Closed account

The only real reason the glass comes under such scrutiny on this building is because the design of the building is so minimalist and its a big building in a very visible location. The small details make the overall complete idea. If the building is to reflect the sky and environment, it should reflect it as it looks, not by warping it. I am not really wowed by this building a lot design wise but would be very sold on it if it carried the design intentions across better through good materials. I do agree though that many buildings out there are not much different with bowed glass. This case should be different though. Even buildings in Lakeshore East have little ripple on the solid glass walls facing the river. A minimalist design should equal little ripple because the small details need more perfection for succeeding. The height of the building and scaling would be a lot more dramatic that way. Im sure Adrian Smith isnt too happy with the performance of the glass himself, but to Trump its just Gold.

Last edited by CenIL_LA; Jul 23, 2007 at 6:49 PM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 12:22 AM

Quote:
It's off most of the time. It comes on once an hour I believe, for just a few minutes. So yeah, they wait.
Absolutely not true! I have been on a boat that went right on underneath it (fortunately i went below deck) but some of my friends got soaked!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 1:13 AM
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisMolotov View Post
Absolutely not true! I have been on a boat that went right on underneath it (fortunately i went below deck) but some of my friends got soaked!
I've been a tour guide for Wendella and we always waited. Its of course up to the captain but I've never seen a boat go underneath that fountain, you definitely get soaked!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 1:46 AM
L.P. - Chi-town

Great shots again Solarwind!

As for the boat going underneath the waterjet... I've never seen it either.

I always assumed the pressure was to great for people to go under it.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 3:24 AM

No you can definately go under it. We went under it once and got totally soaked. What boats can actually do is go all the way to the right (if you are headed West) near the source of the fountain, then you will not get as wet, since there is little spray coming directly out of the nozzle.

Asheesh

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 3:38 AM
L.P. - Chi-town

Quote:
Originally Posted by asheesh88 View Post
No you can definately go under it. We went under it once and got totally soaked. What boats can actually do is go all the way to the right (if you are headed West) near the source of the fountain, then you will not get as wet, since there is little spray coming directly out of the nozzle.

Asheesh
Niccccce! I'll have to try it one day during a 90 degree heatspell.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 2:53 AM

These are from mid-June:

You can take a look at the rest here: Chicago: Agora Rust and the River at Dusk

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 12:32 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

A cloudy morning July 25, 2007.

and the progress on the park on the river....

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 5:00 PM

I think that parking ramp looks fabulous! I love his building...

Thanks everyone for keeping us update!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 5:59 PM

I dont want to be a burder, but can someone do an update on the glass awning going up? I know it has been a while since the last pic and I was curious if there has been much progress. If there hasn't don't worry about it. Thanks to all who regularly post pics and keep us updated. If it weren't for you guys I would be working right now

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 6:08 PM

When skyscrapers are built on the edge of the Chicago River,is it necessary to create a slurry wall (like at the WTC site) to stabilize and protect the foundation?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 6:43 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexxed82 View Post
I dont want to be a burder, but can someone do an update on the glass awning going up? I know it has been a while since the last pic and I was curious if there has been much progress. If there hasn't don't worry about it. Thanks to all who regularly post pics and keep us updated. If it weren't for you guys I would be working right now
I will get you one this week, probably tomorrow.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbotnyse View Post
I will get you one this week, probably tomorrow.
Thanks a ton!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2007, 5:35 PM
BANNED

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/s...e,147176.shtml

Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago to Debut in December 2007

CHICAGO, July 26 /PRNewswire/ -- Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, located in the heart of the city on Wabash Ave., astride the fabled Chicago River, will welcome its first hotel guests in December 2007.

The hotel, comprising floors 14-27 of a 92-story residential tower in development by the Trump Organization, features 339 luxuriously appointed guestrooms -- including one-, two- and three-bedroom suites. Designed by the noted architectural firm of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill with interiors by McGinley Design, Trump International Hotel & Tower promises to be a stunning addition to Chicago's distinguished skyline...

For room and event reservations at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, call (312) 924-7600, (877) 458-TRUMP (7867) or visit http://www.trumpchicagohotel.com/. Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago

Last edited by bnk; Jul 26, 2007 at 5:44 PM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2007, 5:57 PM
Condo Projects Manager

For any of you who aren't lucky enough to see this beauty everyday and only able to watch the progress through pics and the webcam I have a new link. When Chicago Tribune recently overhauled their website, it left a huge ad right over the building. I found the new link which allows you to view the entire webcam. Just click my signature and then bookmark it. Enjoy!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2007, 6:42 PM

Thanks Adam. I was trying yesterday to figure out how to get rid of that add, to no avail.

It looks like they're right on pace to hit the next transfer floor by the beginning of September.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2007, 7:50 PM

are we at 1/2 way done point yet? i take it that will hit around the 550ft mark

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive