HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 3:45 PM

So... much... scaffolding... Another semi load being unloaded right now. Impressive thy can source so much at one time. Likely have a large stockpile built up across their network.

There's scaffolding supporting about three levels at this point. And they're starting on the next level adjacent to the church.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 3:53 PM
What could go wrong?

Same as always - bump to keep the updating photo on the current page...

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 3:56 PM
What could go wrong?

Not trying to criticize here, but is that not the slowest growing "core" of any high-rise. Usually these things shoot up and out-pace the floor plates by a long shot.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 4:05 PM

Maybe due to the size and shape of the lot (and lack of space around it), there's a reason why they're doing it this way. I think it's pretty impressive the pace they're moving at - can't remember a building of this magnitude go up this quick in my lifetime in Winnipeg. There's SO MANY workers on site.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Maybe due to the size and shape of the lot (and lack of space around it), there's a reason why they're doing it this way. I think it's pretty impressive the pace they're moving at - can't remember a building of this magnitude go up this quick in my lifetime in Winnipeg. There's SO MANY workers on site.
I hope this isn't like with the TD Tower where it capped off the 80s building boom with a very large project and then nothing more for years and years afterward.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 5:55 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I agree the project as a whole is humming along at a good clip. My comment is directed at the core. Usually they use a slip form and the thing just shoots up with the floor plates trailing way behind. The core does seem rather large though so, i don't know.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I hope this isn't like with the TD Tower where it capped off the 80s building boom with a very large project and then nothing more for years and years afterward.
Unfortunately, TNS is going to more that saturate the office market in downtown Winnipeg for decades to come. The tenants are mostly relocations of existing tenants. Add in the pressures to keep civil service and crown employment sizes static or reduce them supply will be out pacing demand for some time. TNS is going to actually be somewhat of a driving force behind more midrise office to residential conversions as landlords seek to get any form of revenue out of their property.

I actually think it was within the last five years or so the market finally was catching up to the surplus caused by 201 Portage entering the market. I know the buildings between Smith and Garry on the north side were vacant a very long stretch of time before the MB Start/apartment project.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 7:03 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Unfortunately, TNS is going to more that saturate the office market in downtown Winnipeg for decades to come. [...] I actually think it was within the last five years or so the market finally was catching up to the surplus caused by 201 Portage entering the market.
Does the conversion of the Exchange District into condos offset this?

In the early '90s I did programming out of an office in the Western Elevator / Miller & Richard Building on Princess. It's just one of many warehouses turned offices turned condos.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I agree the project as a whole is humming along at a good clip. My comment is directed at the core. Usually they use a slip form and the thing just shoots up with the floor plates trailing way behind. The core does seem rather large though so, i don't know.
My guess is that the first 3 floors (the retail podium portion) have unique heights and requires more on-site fabrication. Once they are onto the main office floors (4+) it should start moving much quicker.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, TNS is going to more that saturate the office market in downtown Winnipeg for decades to come. The tenants are mostly relocations of existing tenants. Add in the pressures to keep civil service and crown employment sizes static or reduce them supply will be out pacing demand for some time. TNS is going to actually be somewhat of a driving force behind more midrise office to residential conversions as landlords seek to get any form of revenue out of their property.

I actually think it was within the last five years or so the market finally was catching up to the surplus caused by 201 Portage entering the market. I know the buildings between Smith and Garry on the north side were vacant a very long stretch of time before the MB Start/apartment project.
And has SkyCity announced any potential tenants for their office portion?

TNS has done an impressive job getting tenants, but man that's some oversupply...

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 1:33 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1983 View Post
My guess is that the first 3 floors (the retail podium portion) have unique heights and requires more on-site fabrication. Once they are onto the main office floors (4+) it should start moving much quicker.
Ahhh...yes, that makes perfect sense. I like to think I am a smart guy, but for some reason that line of thinking seemed to elude me. Thank you very much.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
And has SkyCity announced any potential tenants for their office portion?

TNS has done an impressive job getting tenants, but man that's some oversupply...
Fairly certain SkyCity announced they would be selling the office space as office condos, likely meaning they couldn't land any significant long term tenants.

In terms of TNS, a lot of the announced tenants I have seen are pulling from existing buildings downtown, not bringing in new tenants. I had even heard claims that one of the more prominent tenants was not only relocating but would also being dropping their leased square footage when they move into TNS.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 5:03 PM
Ignore these four words.

Here's a link to a live cam that'll give us a good perspective as TNS starts rising, as well as 300 Main:

http://44.135.120.10/camera.jpg

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 6:27 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Not trying to criticize here, but is that not the slowest growing "core" of any high-rise. Usually these things shoot up and out-pace the floor plates by a long shot.
not really.

this apears to be a concreat slab building not a steel or precast system building.. so the core is tied right into it instead of beams being boldted to it gotta tie in ur rebar and such...

hydro grew at a simlar rate

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 6:34 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Fairly certain SkyCity announced they would be selling the office space as office condos, likely meaning they couldn't land any significant long term tenants.

In terms of TNS, a lot of the announced tenants I have seen are pulling from existing buildings downtown, not bringing in new tenants. I had even heard claims that one of the more prominent tenants was not only relocating but would also being dropping their leased square footage when they move into TNS.
normal allot easyer to move to a new space then renovate an active office.

as for skycity if u were looking for office space and u have no idea when its going to get built and u have to move by X date wouldnt u look elsewhere. sure once construction starts the office space will fill up with leases and such

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
as for skycity if u were looking for office space and u have no idea when its going to get built and u have to move by X date wouldnt u look elsewhere. sure once construction starts the office space will fill up with leases and such
Good point. IQMetrix is one example of a company that came from seemingly out of nowhere to swallow up a decent chunk of Centrepoint's office space... if and when construction ever gets rolling on Skycity, it's not hard to imagine some other such up and coming company taking on a floor or two. There's no point for a company wasting its time signing on now when there is a valid question as to whether this thing will ever get built.

The good thing for Skycity when it comes to office space is that it would only take two or three tenants to fill the space completely.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 9:03 PM

Quote:

That's what I was trying to hint at... TNS is swallowing up any space that is available and there's none left, hence SkyCity's conversion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
not really.

this apears to be a concreat slab building not a steel or precast system building.. so the core is tied right into it instead of beams being boldted to it gotta tie in ur rebar and such...

hydro grew at a simlar rate
True. Comparitively, 300M is a concrete core/steel frame building building, maybe that's where the confusion came from

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 2:41 PM

Im somewhat confused by the layout. It looks like building all along that side...isnt there supposed to be a large opening for the public area? My brain doesnt compute abstract designs at this state I guess

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 2:45 PM

The building on the left, Scotiabank Tower, ends right where the have the concrete poured to on the second level. Basically to the left of the crane, in the foreground. The building edge is the curvey line that runs diagonally across the site.

There will be an opening, again right in the foreground, to the plaza. I think some of the area at the plaza level underneath Scotiabank Tower is open to the outside. But could be wrong. The residential tower, which will be on the right, will rise basically where the site trailers are sitting. They're on the sidewalk of course.

They still have to finish off the plaza slab around north and west sides. That will bring the site up to grade.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 4:03 PM

It's not really a large opening. The larger opening is from the southwest side.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan