HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 1:59 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.observer.com/2011/11/coac...on-yards-pics/
Coach Moving Into the Twin Peaks of Hudson Yards

By Matt Chaban 11/01

Quote:
Coach has come to Hudson Yards and classed up the joint as only a luxury bag maker could. Not only did the mayor make the company’s lease official today, flanked by Council Speaker Christine Quinn and Related’s Steve Ross, he announced that following the fashion house’s move would be Fashion Week itself, he hopes. They could ride the 7-Train over from Bryant Park, as it was also promised that the extension would be completed as promised by 2013.

But we know what you really care about, the tantalizing new renderings from KPF, who is planning the site and building the two eastern most office towers, the first of which will be home to Coach and open in 2015—full of other firms, too, if you’re in the market

http://www.observer.com/2011/11/coac...s-pics/#slide2

The site plan for the project has been updated as well.

The eastern portion, to be developed first with offices, retail and a cultural center.

The western portion, which will be mostly residential development.

http://www.observer.com/2011/11/6000...bag-for-coach/

600,000 Square Feet of Office Space in the Bag for Coach

By Guelda Voien 11/01

Quote:
Coach will move its corporate headquarters and consolidate three New York City offices into the building by 2015. The 1.8 million-square-foot tower, at the northwest corner of West 30th Street and Tenth Avenue, is one of 14 residential, commercial and retail assets envisioned by the Related Companies at its far West Side development site.

Coach currently owns its offices at 516 West 34th Street, plus another small building that adjoins it—approximately 250,000 square feet combined, a source said. The company also leases office space at 450 West 33rd Street, which expires in 2015.

CBRE Chief Executive Mary Ann Tighe, who represented Coach in the transaction alongside Vice Chairman Greg Tosko, noted that the handbag purveyor’s 34th Street building will be a hot commodity, now that it’s hit the market, because of its zoning. “They can build very tall buildings on those sites,” said Ms. Tighe. “If I were a betting person, I would bet it would [be developed as] a residential tower.”

Related Companies will also move its offices to Hudson Yards, Chief Executive Stephen Ross announced at the press conference attended by Bloomberg and an assortment of other politicians and real estate industry leaders. It is not yet known which tower Related will occupy, or how many feet they will take, a spokesperson for Related said.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 2, 2011 at 2:13 PM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 2:18 PM

Can't beat the cache of working in the Coach tower!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 2:53 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Can't beat the cache of working in the Coach tower!
They put a full page ad in the Post today about the move to Hudson Yards. It's really exciting seeing this develop.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 4:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
They put a full page ad in the Post today about the move to Hudson Yards. It's really exciting seeing this develop.
The same ad is in The Times and the WSJ.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 5:10 PM

I'd actually like to see a little more density in the residential parcel...

Does anyone know if there will be street level businesses in the western most parcel?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 5:50 PM
Khurram Parvaz

And here it is

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 6:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantSwan View Post
I'd actually like to see a little more density in the residential parcel...

Does anyone know if there will be street level businesses in the western most parcel?
I disagree. I think Manhattan has enough dense streets to fill the entire universe as it is. The open space here and well thought out landscaping is a welcome respite from the overpowering density of Manhattan and will allow those buildings room to breath and be appreciated individually rather than be crowded to the point of becoming invisible.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 7:33 PM
don't *meddle*...

Wow, this is like hitting the jackpot!

From KPF:

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 7:37 PM

Quote:
That is a sweet view...here's another look.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...UhpLpLi5FOH5zK

I like how the building crowns in this latest rendering seems to be more consistant with the massing model seen here at the announcement:

...where you see the top is cut off at a rotated angle creating a diamond precipice ala wtc2 rather than the less-visually-interesting tilted square top seen here:

Big improvement on an already great design.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Related kicked ass for NYC!

NYC is the king and continues its 100 plus year reign as the world champion of skyscrapers!

I don't know if that is rdiculous or ridiculously awesome.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 8:23 PM
New Yorker for life

Check the video...
http://www.bloomberg.com/video/79380656/

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Wow, this is like hitting the jackpot!

From KPF:

Another look...

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 2, 2011 at 8:46 PM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 8:44 PM

And the twins return to NYC. A fitting successor, I think. Imagine if something similar had been built downtown?

And imagine the view of Midtown from the WTC when this is finished. Good Lord.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 9:32 PM

Seriously, the more renders of these I see the wider the grin on my face gets.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 9:48 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

It took me a while to figure it out, but from the side view, these totally remind of the Fortress of Solitude from the original Superman (1978) movie. In a good way, of course.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 11:04 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post
This could have been one of the early proposals for rebuilding the WTC... it will be amazing.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 11:27 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

We can finally get a real sense as to the scope of the entire development. Coach is just one of the many tenants that will eventually occupy the space. Can't wait to see these rise!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 11:39 PM

I sincerely the hope the formed tops of these have some sort of lighting scheme that highlights their unique shape. But I do love these towers!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2011, 3:51 AM
BANNED

Related shoots! Related scores!!!!!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2011, 6:07 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
The "Culture Shed" has the ability to grow...

http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...pload_id=14405

Shed? Make way for a new breed of art space

Not talked about much, but seen in the renderings and also part of the first phase...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj
West Side's Museum Mile

November 3, 2011
By JENNIFER MALONEY

Quote:
The first lease for the Hudson Yards project is breathing life into another idea: A new space for arts and culture on the site that, along with the Whitney Museum in the Meatpacking District, would bookend what is envisioned as a kind of Museum Mile for the West Side. City officials say they are planning a Hudson Yards arts center that serves as a blank canvas. It could simultaneously host theater performances, traveling exhibitions and community events on different floors—or the entire space could be marshaled to stage one large show.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Tuesday that the center, which has been part of the project's plans since its 2005 inception, will become the home of Fashion Week. "This would add a great deal to New York's ability to have big events and keep the industries that are coming here growing," he said while announcing that Coach Inc. plans to be the first tenant in an office tower built by Related Cos.

If the plan comes to fruition, people will be able to stroll along the High Line from the Whitney, stop at a few Chelsea galleries and continue to the Culture Shed, a space that city officials say would showcase not just art, but fashion and industrial design.

City officials cautioned that the Culture Shed is still in its infancy. Officials, who are shepherding the idea but won't run the center, said they hope to have a clearer plan by next summer for the building's design, the money required to build it and the shape of the nonprofit organization that will lead it. The design, by Diller Scofidio & Renfro, in partnership with the Rockwell Group, is still under development. An early rendering showed a five-story building with a footprint of 22,000 square feet, couched in two outer shells that could be rolled outward to expand the space to more than 55,000 square feet.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2011, 8:45 PM

New details on this project:
http://www.related.com/destinations/...s Brochure.pdf

Nord office tower - 64 stories - 1278 feet tall and 2.5 milion RSF

South office tower - 52 stories - 996 feet tall and 1.7 milion RSF

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive