HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 9:57 PM
THAT Guy

Sounds like a little slice of hell. Unfortunate that Chicago will now have two of these even after Disney closed stores in SF and NY. Oh well, at least another part of B37 is spoken for.

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 11:01 PM
The City

^ That's odd... a Disney Store?

If anything, such a store will drive away some retailers, while attracting others.

I'm really hoping Block 37 doesn't turn into Mag Mile South. Too many replicas from its much larger cousin up north. What has been sought is a unique retail mix, and so far I'm not liking what I'm seeing.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 11:40 PM
1st Ward

id rather this new Disney store anchor a spot in the remodeled Carson Pirie Scott building, i dont think itll fit in too well at Block 37...

In this economy, we should be happy anything is opening anywhere, i guess. right?

Old Posted May 20, 2010, 7:06 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
If anything, such a store will drive away some retailers, while attracting others.
Why would it drive away retailers? It's on a corner site with plenty of opportunity for dedicated entrances/exits... screaming children in the halls are unlikely.

I'm all for world-class retail when appropriate, but many families go to Millennium Park currently, or to the many musicals at the Oriental, Palace, and LaSalle. The retail mix on State Street is not catering to these visitors one bit.

Macy's recently eliminated the FAO Schwarz section (which was the first time Field's had an actual toy department in decades). Toys-R-Us closed a long time ago. I can't really think of any other shops on State Street today that would appeal to kids.

Old Posted May 20, 2010, 8:12 AM

This block has been jacked around with for going on what 25-30 years!! I don't know why the city just did'nt keep it and develope it into a park or open space! For years they had a skating rink there. I know the property is valueable, but that's still a great spot for some open space!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2010, 11:54 PM
THAT Guy

Some decent news:

Quote:
L&G Aveda Salon and Spa should be in by the end of July, and we'll have more new stores by the end of the summer!
-Block37Shops
Quote:
International Contractors, Inc. has resumed construction for three retail stores at the Block 37 Retail Complex (108 N. State Street, Chicago, IL). ICI will be working with CB Richard Ellis to complete tenant build-outs for Alternative Shoes, Local Charm and Malabar Boutique.
-International Contractors, Inc.
Quote:
Keith Lasko completed all the building department hoops . . . soon to begin construction of Simply Thalia in Block 37

Last edited by spyguy; Jun 9, 2010 at 2:40 PM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2010, 4:35 PM
THAT Guy

Does anyone else think that Block 37 looks remarkably better with damaged windows?

http://interactive.chicagobusiness.c...eline/private/

2010/06/20 Block 37 - Akira - Space 188 4,000-square-foot retail tenant improvement, $300,000 108 N State St, Chicago, IL 60602-1610, US Cook

Old Posted Jun 24, 2010, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Sounds like a little slice of hell. Unfortunate that Chicago will now have two of these even after Disney closed stores in SF and NY. Oh well, at least another part of B37 is spoken for.
Sounds like a hybrid of the Disney Store and the failed Disney Quest concept that used to have a location in River North. Its a good use for space on a upper floor, but I cringe at the thought of having on this on a prime ground floor location. At the very least, it will help fill the mall and generate some activity.

Also, I am sick of BOA. These bastards have been the major roadblock preventing the lease of the movie theater since June 2009, and now they are ready to walk away from the deal. Well done, and now we have the forced eviction of the entire food court operator. They are insane. Let us not forget how BOA also screwed Republic Windows on Goose Island as well. I will not use any BOA services from now on, as long as I can help it.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn View Post
Sounds like a hybrid of the Disney Store and the failed Disney Quest concept that used to have a location in River North. Its a good use for space on a upper floor, but I cringe at the thought of having on this on a prime ground floor location. At the very least, it will help fill the mall and generate some activity.

Also, I am sick of BOA. These bastards have been the major roadblock preventing the lease of the movie theater since June 2009, and now they are ready to walk away from the deal. Well done, and now we have the forced eviction of the entire food court operator. They are insane. Let us not forget how BOA also screwed Republic Windows on Goose Island as well. I will not use any BOA services from now on, as long as I can help it.
How did BOA screw Republic? They refused to lend more money to a sinking company, as is the right of any secured lender. If you want to blame anyone in that scenario blame the owner of the company, who diverted the company's funds and ran it into the ground.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2010, 10:59 PM

Noticed scaffolding underneath and all around the big screen above CBS studios today. Didn't get a chance to take a picture but hopefully they're finally fixing the ugly exposed supports soon?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2010, 8:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Does anyone else think that Block 37 looks remarkably better with damaged windows?
Is that what that was?!? I thought it was awesome - like an architect who actually had some balls swept through overnight and redid the facade. I managed to get a photo of it. Please tell me it's permanent...

Old Posted Jun 29, 2010, 5:28 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesxtreme View Post
Noticed scaffolding underneath and all around the big screen above CBS studios today. Didn't get a chance to take a picture but hopefully they're finally fixing the ugly exposed supports soon?
No, it's probably just to fix the storm damage.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2010, 11:52 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

^ I was actually hopeful for a second that they were going to replace/expand the video screen. I quickly realized I was dreaming.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 1:06 PM
dream fast

7-2

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 4:57 PM
THAT Guy

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=39013

Block 37 hit with new foreclosure suit
By Eddie Baeb, July 28, 2010

Joseph Freed & Associates LLC faces a new foreclosure lawsuit at Block 37.

U.S. Bank is seeking $16.75 million from Freed entities related to a mortgage the bank made in 2007 for the planned two-tower residential and hotel portion of the development at State and Randolph streets. Freed was hit with a foreclosure suit last fall on the four-story mall at Block 37 that opened in November.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 5:28 PM

Everytime I see this thread updated, I hope for good news. I am consistently disappointed.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 6:16 PM

A little advice for Freed: deed in lieu of foreclosure. Walk away!!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
I'm still dying to try Rosa Mexicano - see how it compares to Bayless.
you're joking. right?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 7:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a chicago bearcat View Post
you're joking. right?
I'm curious mainly in the sense of how a high-volume / chain place can approach exceptional Mexican food. There's no way that a restaurant conceived and managed by the dean of Mexican food, that has him on site regularly, can be matched by a chain that is being expanded nationally for the main purpose of making money rather than painstakingly curating a sampling of a nation's cuisine. But the thing is ... it is impossible to get a reservation at Topolobampo, so it would be nice to have a quasi-backup downtown when in the mood.

And a strong boost to B37's upper levels, which would solidly integrate it as a dinner-and-a-show element into the theater district, would be very welcome.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
I'm curious mainly in the sense of how a high-volume / chain place can approach exceptional Mexican food. There's no way that a restaurant conceived and managed by the dean of Mexican food, that has him on site regularly, can be matched by a chain that is being expanded nationally for the main purpose of making money rather than painstakingly curating a sampling of a nation's cuisine. But the thing is ... it is impossible to get a reservation at Topolobampo, so it would be nice to have a quasi-backup downtown when in the mood.

And a strong boost to B37's upper levels, which would solidly integrate it as a dinner-and-a-show element into the theater district, would be very welcome.
I wouldn't say impossible, I just ate their for my B-day, but you do have to be flexible...

SSDD

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive