HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 9:56 PM

Thanks for posting the National Building conference. I am going to be in attendance if no one else is and plan on coming back with whatever new info they provided.

In tysons today there was a developers/county conference about Tysons Corner projects and business as well. I was not able to attend due to other work requirements but I hope that some news did come from it about infrastructure, schedule, new projects, etc.

If anyone went to the Bisnow conference today please let us know what was said!

Thanks

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 4:21 PM

DC Urban Turf has a summary of last night's discussion of the Tysons Corner redevelopment.

Will the New Tysons Be A Smart Growth Model?
http://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blo...discussed/4998

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 5:43 PM

Don't cut new Tysons Corner in two (Greater Greater Washington)

Don't cut new Tysons Corner in two

by Jamie Scott
January 26, 2012
Greater Greater Washington

"Fairfax County is planning to turn Tysons into a dense, walkable, urban center. This transformation will include the creation of street grid and better bike and pedestrian facilities. But two major thoroughfares will weaken pedestrian circulation and divide the new Tysons in two.

Route 123 and Route 7 are major 6-lane roads running through the heart of Tysons Corner. The Silver Line will run along portions of either road, meaning that many pedestrians will be entering Tysons along these arteries.

But the construction of the Silver Line through Tysons Corner isn't the only work being done in the corridor. Fairfax County is currently widening Route 123 from 6 to 8 lanes..."

http://greatergreaterwashington.org/...corner-in-two/

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 2:28 PM

To the issue of 123, I've also provided a historical context and economic effect article analyzing the congestion improvements/divisive nature of similar projects and what Tysons in 2030 might look like in this direct vicinity. I'm also considering as a resident to start a petition to tell the state to takes its road money and shove it because everything about this project smells of Richmond trying to tell NOVA what it needs (again and its never worked before).

Its time to start being more like Arlington in Fairfax, we dont need state money to get the infrastructure thats actually need, and this is coming from a civil engineer who could profit from these ridiculous projects.

Please check out my article also 3 parter (with 3rd part coming monday morning)

The Gap, The greatest problem for Tysons in 2030/

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 7:33 AM

Apparently Macerich is going to have 1.3 MSF underway this year, with delivery by 2014.

http://www.bisnow.com/washington_dc_...ry.php?p=20530

Would make a very big impact very quickly, especially if they're executing the hotel component. Interesting addition to the mall, certainly huge in scope.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreen View Post
I'm not sure how good the view is, but I've heard the Washington Monument is visible from the Tower Club at the top of 8000 Towers Crescent (234 ft.). Another 70 feet up should provide some decent views.

Also, views to the west could be nice with the mountains in the distance. I remember seeing a condo for sale in Reston with western views. It was probably about 15 stories high and had nice views of the mountains.
I work on the 11th floor of a building in Falls Church, and the washington monument is but a spec in the distance. The National Cathedral is the only thing that grabs your attention, because it's physically closer and on a taller hill.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 1:30 PM

Pictures of the construction and the latest submitted plans correlated together for the Tysons West Promenade. I also included some interesting information I received in my interview with Jay Klug, Principal of JBGR who was very candid discussing the projects but also the current process for plan approval.

http://thetysonscorner.com/blog/tyso...new-direction/

Enjoy, please leave comments here there and everywhere if you'd like to discuss!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 10:48 PM

In the midst of a bit of an online "conversation" though its borderline arguement with Virginia DOT about the merits of subdivision design through urban districts. Feel free to check it out and discuss with these VDOT guys if you want also.

VDOT Too Big To Fail/

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 9:52 PM

Here's a link to an article about a proposed JBG development in Reston that will have 800 apartments and 130 townhomes.

http://reston.patch.com/articles/ra-...an#pdf-9164672

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 8:01 PM

Developer plots Reston’s tallest building (Washington Post)

Developer plots Reston’s tallest building

A rendering of RTC Partnership’s planned 23-story mixed-use project at 1760 Reston Pkwy. in Reston. (Image courtesy of the Washington Post)

By Jonathan O'Connell
February 26, 2012
Washington Post

"Reston Town Center is primed to get a new gateway in the form of a 23-story mixed-use project being planned for Reston Parkway by RTC Partnership LLC.

The proposed building’s height has already been approved by the county and would be taller than anything currently in Reston Town Center. The project would replace an existing 61,000-square-foot office building at 1760 Reston Pkwy., often known as the Town Center Office Building.

Though the overall project still requires review by the Reston Association of homeowners and the Fairfax County Planning Commission, RTC already has approval for a 418,000-square-foot office and retail building. Richard Whealen, managing partner of the ownership group, said the building’s distinctiveness should set it apart from other offices nearby, some starving for tenants..."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...McR_story.html

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 4:33 PM

Herndon passes high-density Metro area redevelopment proposal

Although this is farther west than Tysons, it is good to see Herndon planning for some fairly dense transit-oriented development next to the future Herndon-Monroe station on Phase II of the Silver Line.

Herndon passes high-density Metro area redevelopment proposalAlthough approved, plan remains mired for six months as new study begins

By Gregg MacDonald
Fairfax Times
3/2/12

“After a two-year process ended Tuesday night with more than three hours of public hearings and deliberations, the Herndon Town Council has voted to approve high-density redevelopment near a proposed Metro station.

The 4-3 vote officially approves a comprehensive plan amendment that will allow an area of the town abutting the future Herndon-Monroe Metro station to support higher density 15-story buildings. The allowable density tapers off as it approaches residential neighborhoods, allowing only low-rise buildings consisting of only a few floors in those areas.

In 2010, at an initial cost of about $300,000, Herndon hired consulting firm Vanasse Hangen Brustlin, Inc., to come up with a Herndon Metro area planning concept for about 110 acres near the proposed station. Along with recommended allowable densities in terms of floor-to-area ratios, the overall concept included a transportation analysis that was found to be flawed. Because of the miscalculation, the initial plan area was scaled back from 110 acres to 38 acres…”

http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article/...e=fairfaxTimes

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 4:41 PM

Financing deal means 25-story Tysons apartment tower is on the way (Washington Post)

Financing deal means 25-story Tysons apartment tower is on the way

By Jonathan O’Connell
Washington Post
3/2/2012

"A pack of developers have descended on Tysons Corner, snapping up sites and looking to build high-rise apartment buildings to feed off of the Silver Line Metro stations being built.

There was little evidence, however, that banks would be willing to finance such construction. After all, housing of this size has never been built in Tysons, and some developers have said they don’t think such large projects would work financially.

But now the first Tysons project to receive approval under the new plan for the area also has a financing deal in place..."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...html#pagebreak

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Financing deal means 25-story Tysons apartment tower is on the way

By Jonathan O’Connell
Washington Post
3/2/2012

"A pack of developers have descended on Tysons Corner, snapping up sites and looking to build high-rise apartment buildings to feed off of the Silver Line Metro stations being built.

There was little evidence, however, that banks would be willing to finance such construction. After all, housing of this size has never been built in Tysons, and some developers have said they don’t think such large projects would work financially.

But now the first Tysons project to receive approval under the new plan for the area also has a financing deal in place..."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...html#pagebreak
This is fantastic news. Has there been a rendering of this project somewhere?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turigamot View Post
This is fantastic news. Has there been a rendering of this project somewhere?
This is the Georgelas Demonstration project so lots of renderings all over (this thread has dozens of them already) as well as the video for it. This is the marque 25-story 400ft building in all the renderings... if it only it was more like 35-story, but a man can dream I suppose, a man can dream.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TysonsEngineer View Post
This is the Georgelas Demonstration project so lots of renderings all over (this thread has dozens of them already) as well as the video for it. This is the marque 25-story 400ft building in all the renderings... if it only it was more like 35-story, but a man can dream I suppose, a man can dream.

Ah, I remember now! That building looks pretty snazzy.

And hey, you gotta start somewhere. 400ft is pretty good considering how experimental all of this is.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 9:16 PM

New story on a concept across Route 123 on Greatergreaterwashington and TheTysonsCorner.com

http://greatergreaterwashington.org/...tysons-corner/

http://thetysonscorner.com/blog/tyso...-so-much-more/

Its an attempt to bridge the gap of 123 that cuts through Tysons Corner.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 2:37 PM

I took a look at building F1's site (being done by Greystar as part of Spring Hill Station). I wasn't aware they had actually broken ground already. Looks like they are preparing to widen what is currently just a fire lane road to condominium avenue and have the utilities ready for installation on the site.

Could be very interesting when this 300' building goes in along this corridor of Greensboro/Spring Hill

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 7:27 PM

Metro’s Silver Line extension stirs redevelopment in Reston (Washington Post)

Metro’s Silver Line extension stirs redevelopment in Reston

By Fredrick Kunkle
May 26, 2012
Washington Post

"Near the shell of the new Metro station in the median of the Dulles Toll Road in Reston, cranes tower over a yawning construction pit where a $750 million complex — including an underground parking garage, apartments, offices and a hotel — will rise.

Columns have been erected for the pedestrian bridges connecting the Wiehle-Reston East station to the town of Reston on either side of the toll road. Nearby is a mini-storage facility whose owner has already asked the county for permission to rezone and redevelop the property into more homes and office space.

"Area of planned high density redevelopment around Silver Line Wiehle Station" (Image courtesy of the Washington Post)\

The first leg of Metrorail’s Silver Line, which would run from East Falls Church to the eastern edge of Reston, is more than a year away from opening, and already there are signs that it will spawn some of the development that advocates promised it would. But it is also clear that it may take years for some of that long-awaited growth to actually happen..."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...asU_story.html

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 12:49 AM

Construction has essentially stopped on 1775 Tysons Boulevard. At a time when a climbing crane or two (or three) should be rising from this project, the site is essentially vacant. On Lerner's website they note that the foundation work has been completed and vertical construction will begin this summer.

I've not heard of a comment like this.

Does anyone know what is going on? Is the fact this is a 100% speculative building responsible for the stop? Are they waiting for a lead tenant?

Are they waiting for some direction on how people will park or will find a way to use the subway at Tysons without the planned infrastructure that some would expect?

Not trying to be negative but Tysons for many is a nightmare in the making. Three metro stops and the assumption is that like Ballston and Rosslyn people will exit the Metro and walk to their apartment/office/restaurant/destination. One problem: at Tysons nobody walks anywhere. You cannot safely walk anywhere.

It would seem that thus far there are still no plans for anyone to walk anywhere either.

Last edited by Joe H; Jun 4, 2012 at 1:08 AM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe H View Post
Construction has essentially stopped on 1775 Tysons Boulevard. At a time when a climbing crane or two (or three) should be rising from this project, the site is essentially vacant. On Lerner's website they note that the foundation work has been completed and vertical construction will begin this summer.

I'm not heard of a comment like this.

Does anyone know what is going on? Is the fact this is a 100% speculative building responsible for the stop? Are they waiting for a lead tenant?

Are they waiting for some direction on how people will park or will find a way to use the subway at Tysons without the planned infrastructure that some would expect?

Not trying to be negative but Tysons for many is a nightmare in the making. Three metro stops and the assumption is that like Ballston and Rosslyn people will exit the Metro and walk to their apartment/office/restaurant/destination. One problem: at Tysons nobody walks anywhere. You cannot safely walk anywhere.

It would seem that thus far there are still no plans for anyone to walk anywhere either.
I must add to the above since it is my first post on this board: I grew up in Silver Spring (Blair '64) and in the '80's would drive around Wayne Avenue and the Metro excited at any project that was planned. I would drive to the top of a parking garage and imagine what a 10, 14, 20 story building would do to the skyline and was thrilled at what could be built in my hometown.

I moved to Reston in '88.

Today, I share a similar excitement for Reston where like Silver Spring and Bethesda there is a very walkable downtown. In fact Reston has a European center with a bandstand/ice rink that is an anchor to pull people into it especially on weekends.

Tysons does not. It is for me and perhaps others a wasteland. I've read through this thread and driven every block of every planned project, shaking my head at what some think will work there. You cannot walk anywhere. You can't. What will and has worked in Silver Spring and Bethesda and Reston Town Center isn't in place for Tysons. Some want a sixty, eighty story building, others rave in support of the three Macerich buildings going up adjacent to Lord and Taylor-but where will people walk? When you "land" in Tysons on the Metro, if you want to walk to the Ritz or the Marriott, exactly how do you do this? If I have a suitcase how am I going to get from the Metro to either?

Until this question is answered I am a bit dismayed with Fairfax County: nobody has exactly explained the mechanics of living at Tysons. It is NOT Ballston, it's not Clarendon nor Bethesda nor Silver Spring. It's Tysons Corner: a suburban area with islands of office buildings separated by acres of parking that would scare the hell out of my grandmother or grandfather from walking between them.

Until somebody goes into a bit of detail for how this new downtown is going to work, I cannot help but question its future growth. I don't think this has been properly thought through.

Reston Town Center and the others I've mentioned above, yes. But Tysons is a huge, for me, wasteland seemingly intent on a nightmarish next phase that Fairfax is committed to delivering. I am only questioning how people will live and work there? I think not an insignificant question.

Last edited by Joe H; Jun 4, 2012 at 1:22 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations