HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
I like it.
Now we have to work on western Ontario and Eastern BC.
Maybe one day we'll have 4-lane divided from Sydney NS to Sydney BC.
It's Northwestern Ontario! LOL Traditionally Western Ontario was what is now known as Southwestern Ontario. Northwestern Ontario wasn't part of Ontario from its beginning. I realize that it's the westernmost part of the province but it's not called "western" due to historical reasons.

But Northwestern and Northeastern Ontario are often just referred to as Northern Ontario which is often like a province of its own.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 1:01 AM

For those who can read French :

''Le Canada et le Québec s'allient pour achever la construction de l'autoroute 85''

The article :
https://www.mtq.gouv.qc.ca/salle-de-...oroute-85.aspx

PDFs :
https://www.mtq.gouv.qc.ca/salle-de-...d_Feuillet.pdf
https://www.mtq.gouv.qc.ca/salle-de-...ases3_A-85.PDF
https://www.mtq.gouv.qc.ca/salle-de-...rojets_cou.pdf

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 3:39 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
It's Northwestern Ontario! LOL Traditionally Western Ontario was what is now known as Southwestern Ontario. Northwestern Ontario wasn't part of Ontario from its beginning. I realize that it's the westernmost part of the province but it's not called "western" due to historical reasons.

But Northwestern and Northeastern Ontario are often just referred to as Northern Ontario which is often like a province of its own.
Ok, sorry then, "NORTHwestern" Ontario it is.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Ok, sorry then, "NORTHwestern" Ontario it is.
No need to apologize. LOL

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 11:29 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

^ Just being Canadian.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 5:15 AM

We really need to develop a national highway system where the Feds drop 50 billion on 4 laning between all the provincial/territorial capitals and major economic centres.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 12:57 PM
Heart of the Continent

I think if we devoted money to a ) finishing the freeway through BC, b ) eliminating dangerous and slow intersections in the prairies, and c ) to four landing strategic sections (Falcon Lake to Kenora, the single highway area around TB, from Ottawa to North Bay, and from Sudbury to SSM) it would go a long way towards making the TC about 10 times better.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 1:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
I think if we devoted money to a ) finishing the freeway through BC, b ) eliminating dangerous and slow intersections in the prairies, and c ) to four landing strategic sections (Falcon Lake to Kenora, the single highway area around TB, from Ottawa to North Bay, and from Sudbury to SSM) it would go a long way towards making the TC about 10 times better.
Agreed. I think your observations are spot on. The TCH 17 should be divided from Ottawa all the way to Sault Ste Marie, from Nipigon to Thunder Bay and from Kenora to Winnipeg. Ideally it would be nice to divide the whole damned thing across northern Ontario, but the AADT probably can't justify this. Also, a decision would have to be made between dividing the northern route (11) or the 17. I would imagine practicality would favour the northern route.

I also agree with everything you have said about western Canada as well.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Agreed. I think your observations are spot on. The TCH 17 should be divided from Ottawa all the way to Sault Ste Marie, from Nipigon to Thunder Bay and from Kenora to Winnipeg. Ideally it would be nice to divide the whole damned thing across northern Ontario, but the AADT probably can't justify this. Also, a decision would have to be made between dividing the northern route (11) or the 17. I would imagine practicality would favour the northern route.

I also agree with everything you have said about western Canada as well.
It would take a very very long time to 4 lane highways 17 and 11 across Northern Ontario. Hwy 11 would be cheaper to do but it doesn't have larger communities along it. It is also very isolated between Hearst and Longlac. It is the main truck route across Canada because it isn't hilly like Hwy 17. I do feel that all larger towns should be bypassed.

A lot of people don't know that Hwy 66 in Northern Ontario is part of the Trans-Canada network. It connects to Quebec Route 117 which is Quebec's Northern route of the Trans-Canada (transcanadienne). ON Hwy 66 goes through Kirkland Lake which QC Route 117 goes through Rouyn-Noranda, Val-d'Or, Mont-Laurier. The Trans-Canada then goes along Autoroute 15 once you get to St-Jerome and connect to the main Trans-Canada highway (Autoroute 40) in Montreal.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 1:45 PM

hell, even smaller sections like Arnprior - Petawawa and Sudbury - Espanola would be nice.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
hell, even smaller sections like Arnprior - Petawawa and Sudbury - Espanola would be nice.
I believe those will happen eventually but the progress is very slow. The focus right now is on Hwy 69. I can't believe that the Hwy 17 Sudbury bypass is still only two lanes.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 6:01 PM

The MTO is slowly working on Arnprior-Renfrew. 3 years ago they finished a freeway bypass of Arnprior, and now they're working on a small stretch west of Arnprior (about 5km or so).

It doesn't help that the TCH connecting Ottawa to Northern Ontario runs through a PC party stronghold.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 6:19 PM

Quote:
I believe those will happen eventually but the progress is very slow. The focus right now is on Hwy 69. I can't believe that the Hwy 17 Sudbury bypass is still only two lanes.
I'm not an expert on this, but I think that might be intentional. The 17 is 4 lanes west of Sudbury and the 69 is 4 lanes south of Sudbury, because most of the traffic is likely going to Sudbury. The bypass route only handles traffic for people who are going through Sudbury, and I imagine there's less of this.

The important thing is that most of the route is grade-separated. I actually would rather drive on a road that's just 2 lanes with full interchanges than a 4 lane road with frequent traffic lights (e.g. everything in BC!).

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 1:07 AM
Urban Fanactic

Quote:
Making Hwy 17 four lanes between Whitefish and Coniston is suppose to get started after Hwy 69/400 is done.

After that I have no clue what other work will be done on Hwy 17.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwils01 View Post
Making Hwy 17 four lanes between Whitefish and Coniston is suppose to get started after Hwy 69/400 is done.

After that I have no clue what other work will be done on Hwy 17.
The highest priority segments IMO are:

* Arnprior to Chalk River
* East of North Bay to the Espanola turn (Highway 6)
* Thessalon to Sault Ste. Marie, including a bypass
* Nipigon to Shabaqua Corners
* Dryden area (bypass)
* Kenora to Manitoba border

Those IMO need to be done immediately and are overdue for upgrades. Politics is the hinderance in many ways, especially in the Ottawa Valley.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 12:46 PM

Here's a pic of the southern section of A-85 in Quebec taken in May showing the twinning construction. A-85 is a pretty rugged road at times:

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 12:54 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post

The section by Arnprior is being twinned right now.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
The section by Arnprior is being twinned right now.
It's currently twinned to about a few kilometres outside of Arnprior and the work that is being done now is only extending it about 3km west from where it is now, maybe with an interchange, but know knows. Extension is useless in small phases, we need a big push now.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 6:16 PM
National Capital Region

Hwy 17 - Division Street in Arnprior to Scheel Drive in McNab/Braeside Township is under construction... next phase will be to Bruce Street in Renfrew. Property acquisition is complete or nearly compete but it is is post 2018 in the government's expansion plan.

There was a study underway for the Highway 7 corridor from Peterborough to Carleton Place but it seems to have died or been put on hold. In 5 years the 407 will be linked to Peterborough (via 35/115), so it will be interesting to see how travel patterns change on Highway 7.

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Jul 19, 2015 at 6:32 PM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 9:43 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenTheGreat97 View Post
It's currently twinned to about a few kilometres outside of Arnprior and the work that is being done now is only extending it about 3km west from where it is now, maybe with an interchange, but know knows. Extension is useless in small phases, we need a big push now.

The current project is listed at 14.9 kms.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada