HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 5:26 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbellamy View Post
Enjoy every stage of the process... The glass will come and it will be there a long time.
Exactly. While I am pleased we will be seeing the glass soon, I don't understand this minute to minute obsession with it. Expect to see it before Christmas,
and be pleasantly surprised when it appears. Meanwhile, enjoy the continuing climb of the buildng as it slowly makes its mark on the skyline.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 3:53 PM

This is actually good news as the writer points out. If Durst didn't think the tower could get the higher rents in the open market he would certainly come down on the rates for the government tenants...

Real Estate Weekly

Durst reveals that state tenants will likely not occupy 1 WTC

Daniel Geiger
11/4/2010

Rents in building too expensive to be economical for the state Durst says as deal with Conde to fill 1 million s/f progresses

Douglas Durst, the patriarch of one of Manhattan’s most successful real estate families who is negotiating with the Port Authority to become an equity partner in One World Trade Center, said that state tenants might not take space in the 2.6 million square foot tower after all.

Speaking at a real estate conference organized by the financial reporting and media firm Bloomberg LLP in midtown this morning, Durst, who is head of the real estate development and investment company the Durst Organization, projected that the tower’s rents would be about $70 per square foot, too expensive for state tenants.

When One World Trade Center was first conceived, state and Port Authority officials said that government tenants both on the federal and state level would lease hundreds of thousands of square feet of the tower’s space in what was essentially a government subsidy to make the over $3 billion tower financially viable.

Although the Port Authority was able to structure a non-binding agreement with the General Services Administration, the government office that handles leasing for federal tenants, in the years following 9/11 when plans to rebuild the site were originally drawn, the state’s commitment and what tenants it had in mind to occupy the tower remained murky.

There has been speculation before that government tenants might not occupy as much of One World Trade’s square footage as originally envisioned, but Durst’s statements are among the first from someone so closely involved in the building to seemingly confirm that the state will not move in.

“The state would have to sign a lease at rents that are higher than what they’d have to pay at other buildings and doesn’t make economic sense,” Durst said.

Federal tenants would likely still take space in the building, Durst said, noting that that arrangement made sense because “the building was designed and built to their specifications.” It still isn’t clear what federal offices will move into One World Trade but Durst said that the roster that may have originally been envisioned might also be in flux to “more business-oriented types of tenants than originally planned.”

The good news, of course, is that One World Trade Center no longer appears in such desperate need of public sector occupants. Conde Nast, which currently has its headquarters in a Durst-owned tower in midtown, Four Times Square, is negotiating to take about one million square feet in One World Trade in a deal that overnight appeared to reverse the building’s image as a white elephant. Durst said that between the federal tenants, Conde Nast, and a deal with the Chinese real estate company Vantone that was arranged in 2009, nearly two million of the tower’s 2.6 million square feet had been leased.

The Bloomberg real estate reporter David Levitt, who moderated the panel that Durst was participating on, noted that the remaining 600,000 square feet of space suddenly made what had initially seemed like a daunting leasing assignment far more manageable.

Durst said that leasing of the remaining space, which is situated in the upper portion of the 1,776-foot tall building and will likely command higher rents because of its views, would be now be done at a more patient pace to allow the Manhattan office market to continue to improve and the building to hopefully fetch those higher rents.

Though the building is scheduled to be ready for occupancy in 2013, but Durst said that the vacant 600,000 square feet wouldn’t likely get filled until 2015, in part also because it will take time to build out the space to prepare it for occupancy.

Durst said that both his deal to invest about $100 million to become an equity partner and the lease transaction to bring Conde into One World Trade Center were both progressing.

http://www.rew-online.com/news/story.aspx?id=1113

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 6:22 PM

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 6:23 PM

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 7:09 PM
A before E

Wow, they are actually constructing this tower...I honestly thought they were still in the foundation phase of doing nothing.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 7:32 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Wow, they are actually constructing this tower...I honestly thought they were still in the foundation phase of doing nothing.
That would be not acceptable for the developers and the whole city. There is too much public pressure to get this thing done.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 9:21 PM

New steel 564' to steel splice on floor 48.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 10:29 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
This is actually good news as the writer points out. If Durst didn't think the tower could get the higher rents in the open market he would certainly come down on the rates for the government tenants...
It was my wish that all the government offices be moved to the Port Authority tower (tower 4). There's about a third of the space left there, assuming the City takes its third. That would leave more typical tenants for an office building of this type - meaning those who could pay the higher rents. Durst also said they would be keeping the top floors off the market until 2015, when presumably rents would be higher.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 11:00 PM
BANNED

I absolutely love that shot, Bucktown...

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 5:35 AM

Its nice seeing the new World Trade Center rise..
but i miss the Twin Towers so much!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
New steel 564' to steel splice on floor 48.
It's going to be huge when they get to the 50th floor and should before December...........I think. Amazing this thing is almost a 50 story tower already.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 6:39 AM

I wonder what each one of those vertical 26'4" beams weigh that they are installing for floor 47,48?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 8:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthornton17 View Post
It's going to be huge when they get to the 50th floor and should before December...........I think. Amazing this thing is almost a 50 story tower already.
But its not really almost "50 floors" is it? I mean look at all the buildings that are all still much taller around it. These are all not 50 floor buildings. I think the way that WTC1 is numbering its floors is misleading. And, there can not be that much difference in floor size between WTC1 and the buildings around it. Does no one think in that last shot its looks pretty short for an almost 50 story building?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 9:09 AM
Astorian

November 12th, 2010

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 12:46 PM

Apparently corner cladding has arrived.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePDX View Post
But its not really almost "50 floors" is it? I mean look at all the buildings that are all still much taller around it. These are all not 50 floor buildings. I think the way that WTC1 is numbering its floors is misleading. And, there can not be that much difference in floor size between WTC1 and the buildings around it. Does no one think in that last shot its looks pretty short for an almost 50 story building?
The tallest WFC buildings (the ones with the green tops) are 50 and 54 floors.
WTC 7 is 52 floors.
WTC1 floor numbers from 20 on up are apparently measured from the lowest part of the structure, 70 some feet below ground level.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 3:21 PM
don't *meddle*...

the old 7WTC (174m) had 47 floors and the new 7WTC (226m) has actually 56 floors if you take the mechanical floors into consideration. so i don't understand what's all the fuss about 1WTC cheating with floor numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draegen View Post
Hey STR do you think you could get a pic of 1WTC and the Empire State Building together?
that would be great!

Last edited by hunser; Nov 13, 2010 at 3:44 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 3:44 PM

Looks like a 3rd floor has been fireproofed

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXodius View Post
Looks like a 3rd floor has been fireproofed
Mhm.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 3:47 PM

Smile wtc

i think,this weekend they begining with the fassade,because at the floor 21,22 and 23 you cant see the black grid.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive