HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 9:35 PM
Ex Houstonian

Memphis; Lets Get Drunk

About a week and a half ago I went on a trip to St. Louis, I stopped in Memphis on Friday night and went around taking pictures and then afterwards went back down to Beale Street and had some shots.

Beale St. was probably one of the coolest things Ive seen, for sure nothing else like it in the south, except maybe New Orleans of which I havent been to yet, but plan on going soon.

I started off taking pictures S. Front St. and Huling Ave. and walked to downtown and then to Beale St. and then back again.

Loraine Motel, where Martin Luther King was killed.

Where he was murdered.

S. Main St.

Trollies were everywhere, it was awesome. Didnt see too many people riding em though so that kinda sucked.

Still S. Main St.

Downtown

Beale St.

N. Front St, lots of old buildings were being converted into lofts in this area, it was pretty sweet.

Awesome old brewery

Some new lofts.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 9:44 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Well done!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 9:49 PM
tilted & shifted

Marvelous shots of an underphotographed city.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 10:03 PM
She needs her space

Looks interesting, but it looks really really dirty. Did you feel unsafe at all while you were there? Love the history, though!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 10:13 PM
Ex Houstonian

Almost every black guy that I came across was like, yo man, give me money, so that was pretty ridiculous. But I never really felt unsafe. I got suckered in to buying some "groceries" for some black guy at a corner store and the douche got 20 dollars worth of crap and expected me to pay for all of it. I was like, wtf man, Im not an ATM machine. He eventually took most of it back but I still paid for 5 bucks of it, and I then had 15 bucks left over and he came really close to me, and was like just slip it into my pocket. He expected me to just give him the rest of my money. I cant stand people like that, they are pretty much the worthless scum of the Earth.
Not to be racist or anything, but only black guys do that, rarely if ever has a homeless looking white guy just asked me for my money in rude ways like the black guys do. Whenever I go back home to Houston and I walk around at night, almost every black dude I come across downtown also just pretty much tells me to give him my money for no good reason too. I'm sure I'll get accosted now on this forum for not being politically correct.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 10:15 PM
St. Louis. Bitch.

Yet again, BRAVO!! I like Memphis. It's weird, but I like it.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 10:18 PM
Eurosceptic

Looks like St. Louis... on acid

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
Almost every black guy that I came across was like, yo man, give me money, so that was pretty ridiculous. But I never really felt unsafe. I got suckered in to buying some "groceries" for some black guy at a corner store and the douche got 20 dollars worth of crap and expected me to pay for all of it. I was like, wtf man, Im not an ATM machine. He eventually took most of it back but I still paid for 5 bucks of it, and I then had 15 bucks left over and he came really close to me, and was like just slip it into my pocket. He expected me to just give him the rest of my money. I cant stand people like that, they are pretty much worthless scum of the Earth.
Just say "No."

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 10:22 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
I almost always do, I just got suckered in with that guy because I talked with him for like 20 minutes and he seemed genuine.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 11:25 PM

Great shots. All the signage came out looking good in the photos. Memphis is a bit rough around the edges but it's a great town.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 11:38 PM
She needs her space

Quote:
Almost every black guy that I came across was like, yo man, give me money, so that was pretty ridiculous. But I never really felt unsafe. I got suckered in to buying some "groceries" for some black guy at a corner store and the douche got 20 dollars worth of crap and expected me to pay for all of it. I was like, wtf man, Im not an ATM machine. He eventually took most of it back but I still paid for 5 bucks of it, and I then had 15 bucks left over and he came really close to me, and was like just slip it into my pocket. He expected me to just give him the rest of my money. I cant stand people like that, they are pretty much the worthless scum of the Earth.
Not to be racist or anything, but only black guys do that, rarely if ever has a homeless looking white guy just asked me for my money in rude ways like the black guys do. Whenever I go back home to Houston and I walk around at night, almost every black dude I come across downtown also just pretty much tells me to give him my money for no good reason too. I'm sure I'll get accosted now on this forum for not being politically correct.
Well if it stands for anything I agree, and I know my college educated, job holding black friends would agree, too. It's the sort of thing that puts a damper on blacks having a better reputation, and they know it more than we. Same thing happened to me 2 months ago in Atlanta after talking pleasantly with a very smelly bum. I agreed to buy him a sandwich and a drink from the convenience store, little did I know he thought I meant I would buy him the convenience store (including the beer cooler). He offended me enough not to get anything, but I doubt he learned anything from it. I'm still in college, so I can't really afford to buy someone $4 worth of food on a whim to begin with, let alone a whole store.

Great photos, though, and thanks for them!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 2:57 AM
International

Niggas always ruinin' things..

Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 2:58 AM
Community Guy

now that's what i am talkin bout

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 3:03 AM
Closed account

I suspect this thread (which could have been a good one) is going to have a short life.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 3:05 AM

Quote:
I know what you mean man. I get bugged everytime I go shooting in some ghetto area. Though I never end up buying anything for these low lives, I do get the pitty trip. After the second time I gave away my toll change I end up always saying "nah im broke too dude" or "sorry just got a card on me" but this is coming from the guy with a expensive looking camera in a run down area. Next time Im going to come with some fake monopoly money to give out or write out a I.O.U with the address of someone I dont like.

Otherwise I'v really been enjoying these threads from your trip. Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 3:08 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
Thanks dude, I still have a couple more to make from my trip, I took a short detour through Branson MO on my way back and there will be a thread for that armpit of America and then I have one coming for Little Rock too so be on the lookout for those ones

Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 3:09 AM

Memphis and Little Rock have a lot in common. Both are river cities and two of the roughest cities in the South but also have vibrant avenues in otherwise desolate downtowns (Markham in Little Rock and Beale in Memphis). I like both of them but you have to know where to find the cool, unique areas.

I love that shot of the bridge over the Mississippi.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 3:13 AM
Ex Houstonian

Little Rock and Memphis imo really arent the same. Memphis is much dirtier feeling and much bigger. Its downtown is also much more vibrant with Beale St. and all. The River Market in Little Rock has a few bars but nothing at all like Beale St. Plus Memphis has a lot more of its historic buildings left, Little Rock pretty much decimated all of its historic buildings downtown. Memphis also has a lot of really nice lofts near downtown, of which Little Rock is pretty much lacking. But, if I had a choice to live somewhere, Id chose Little Rock over Memphis anyday of the week.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 4:02 AM
Future God

Memphis gives me instant wood. One of the things I like MOST about it is it's gritty, grimy soul. Sure, it has a bit of a panhandling problem, but does every city have to have a Jamba Juice and Whole Foods on every corner to get recognition? Anyway, that's not directed at anyone here. Just a general rant. Awesome photos buddy.

Quote:
Did you feel unsafe at all while you were there?
Lmao...wow...

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 4:15 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
The only place I have ever felt unsafe was walking around the ghetto near Central High School in Little Rock with my nice camera, and Ive walked around some pretty bad ghettos in Chicago, Houston, and now St. Louis at night and never felt unsafe. But Little Rocks ghettos are a class in and of themselves, they are really quite scary at points. In fact, two weeks ago when I was in Little Rock taking pictures at about 9 I heard two gun shots really clost to me and some chick screaming bloody murder about 500 or some odd feet away from me, got out of there pretty quick.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 5:34 AM

This is badass:

Great tour.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos