HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 7:05 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BairestoLA View Post
I could have swoooooorn that someone with insider knowledge said that this wasn't happening and totally false

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
This is infuriating. LA seriously needs new leadership. We need someone to come in and run things with common sense.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 7:09 AM

So. I took a little trip to downtown yesterday. I was at the Espys. I noticed something with Circa. The tower on the Fig side had a big temporary "Chase" sign at the top. Please tell me that is only temporary and wont be permanent. Something needs to be done with companies slapping logos on every single tower over 20 floors. Its tacky, its annoying, it sometimes ruins the whole tower and is just sad for the skyline as a whole.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 8:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
So. I took a little trip to downtown yesterday. I was at the Espys. I noticed something with Circa. The tower on the Fig side had a big temporary "Chase" sign at the top. Please tell me that is only temporary and wont be permanent. Something needs to be done with companies slapping logos on every single tower over 20 floors. Its tacky, its annoying, it sometimes ruins the whole tower and is just sad for the skyline as a whole.
Lol...a little dramatic.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahaboheme View Post
Sad to see another LA theater repurposed for commercial use instead of renovated for the stage. I guess we should just be thankful the structure is being saved.
I would love to see a revitalized theater scene in DTLA, but the Tower theater stage is way too small to accomodate anything other than one-person shows or stand-up comedy. I can imagine no more than 6 people on stage before it gets crowded. And it’s definitely not large enough for a movie screen.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 7:26 PM

There is a lot of potential for revitalized night-time cultural activity in that theater area, but still feels many years out.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I also prefer those Broadway theaters remain theaters. But an Apple store is definitely better than a church.

I was horrified (and so were many others) when the old historic Rialto Theater in South Pasadena was leased to a "modern hipster" church called Mosaic recently. Churches are such wastes of real estate. I was hoping it would be bought by the American Cinematheque or something, and restored to its former glory, and used for live entertainment and films, and special events.
Let's not hate on churches. You can have both, they can be leased by churches for Sunday services as well as being kept up for Broadway shows and smaller acts and films. Variety Arts Theater is being restored by a church, whereas before it was just sitting unused. The Mayan and Belasco Theaters are nightclubs but have been used by churches as well. As far as the Rialto in South Pas, the owners probably didn't have any better offers, so I'm just glad it's bringing people to the downtown area of South Pas instead of just sitting unused and falling apart.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 9:40 PM
Paramoderator

I know The Metrograph from NY was or is looking for a space to set up a theater in LA. I could totally see them taking over a downtown space.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 3:37 AM

http://www.dialogdesign.ca/open-dialog/la-studios/

Curious to see if you guys see a development of this caliber happening in LA Anytime soon. Similar in scale to Hudson yards but a development like this in Downtown or city west would be gamechanging.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 4:09 AM

Onni Times Mirror Project....one big TALL tower instead of two?

If the preservationists insist on preserving the 1973 Periera modernist building, Onni should consider erecting one very tall tower on the block. The current proposal is for 37 and 52 story towers, one of which would need to be built on the Pereira footprint presumably. Instead, how about a single 70 or 80 story supertall on one corner of the block if the Pereira is preserved? Same number of units in one big tower instead of two smaller ones. Is this a possible solution?

Alternatively (as some have suggested) parts of the Pereira could be incorporated in the base of one of the towers somehow...another "Frankentower"?

Last edited by CaliNative; Jul 21, 2018 at 4:53 AM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
Let's not hate on churches. You can have both, they can be leased by churches for Sunday services as well as being kept up for Broadway shows and smaller acts and films. Variety Arts Theater is being restored by a church, whereas before it was just sitting unused. The Mayan and Belasco Theaters are nightclubs but have been used by churches as well. As far as the Rialto in South Pas, the owners probably didn't have any better offers, so I'm just glad it's bringing people to the downtown area of South Pas instead of just sitting unused and falling apart.
I always used to smile at the "Jesus Saves" sign that used to be below the 42 story Crocker Bank tower on 6th St.--is the sign still there? Churches are doing an important job in helping homeless people, especially the Salvation Army.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jul 21, 2018 at 4:40 AM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
Totally agree with you about slapping logos on towers especially on condos, like really? *Ahem* Chase/1100 Wilshire *Ahem.* However, I do find the Circa towers attractive since it's the first oval condos we have in proper Downtown. The rest are blocky. What I really wanted out of Circa was floodlight installation on top of their silver parapet, something similar to San Francisco's Infinity Towers. It has its standard white lights every night and changes them occasionally with their respective holiday and sports teams colors. Pretty cool.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 1:30 AM

A few aerials from today:

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark2 View Post
Very nice pictures.

Keep it up.

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 1:51 AM

Anyone know if the podium facing flower on circa will be covered?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
Anyone know if the podium facing flower on circa will be covered?
Yes, 100%, we will see some panels, but don't expect anything fancy.

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark2 View Post
Did it look like work was happening on Oceanwide? I heard that the project was on pause.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
Did it look like work was happening on Oceanwide? I heard that the project was on pause.
There were workers on-site, the man lifts were operating and at I think at least one crane was working...and this was on a Saturday.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
That was a false rumor. There have been workers day every day

Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 9:45 PM

Here is a quick summary of building this cycle: I am wondering how much more we can expect to start before it ends. (bonus Hollywood projects) (not counting wood framed projs)

Except for 4th and Broadway, its been 18 months? 2 years? for a larger project to break ground.

1-Cambria-been fenced off, what, half a year now?
2-3 Hotel/2 Tower next to Circa, I think hotels are pretty solid and it will go
3-Shenzen Hanzens, MAYBE the W will go?
4-Mitsui tower on Fig, how many times has it been pushed back. for 8-9 years now?
5-LA Times is now landmark elegible which is going to kill Onni's wishes for this cycle-years of litigation if they want to fight it.
6-Same with Parker Center and the new City office building.
7-Related, crossing fingers, staying positive on a supposed Fall groundbreaking

We'll see about Crescent Heights, the other South Park Onni tower.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Lol...a little dramatic.
Who would I be if I weren't a little here and there. You'll all get bored

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations