HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
What was the turnout for the Stamps last Grey Cup victory in 2014? I heard 6,000 showed up for this year's celebration. Seems surprisingly low but maybe that has to do with the capacity of the area they held the celebration. Are there ever any Grey CUp parades in any city that wins? Been so long here in Winnipeg I forget!
There was a Grey Cup parade in Ottawa in 2016. It ran down Bank Street and ended at Lansdowne Park where there was a celebration. It was crazy. I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 7:06 PM

OK, these are pretty clever...

The Bombers made up some Canadian mafia t-shirts for sale

Of course, we won't mention the fact that the guy who made the comment in the first place ended up coaching his team to a Grey Cup win

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 7:16 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Hahaha - I love it.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 5:09 PM

Big move by the Ti-Cats and good on June Jones for doing what is best for the team and not letting ego get in the way

I know it would not have gone over well if Coach O ended up with the Argos

https://www.tsn.ca/steinauer-replace...oach-1.1219960

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 7:44 PM

^ smart move by the Ticats.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 8:55 PM

Looks like LaPolice has withdrawn from the Argos search and it appears according to Arash that Devone Claybrooks will be the coach in BC, so does that leave Corey Chambin in Toronto or do they go with someone different like Noel Thorpe from Ottawa

Either way, looks like all teams will be set for coaches by the end of the year

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
What was the turnout for the Stamps last Grey Cup victory in 2014? I heard 6,000 showed up for this year's celebration. Seems surprisingly low but maybe that has to do with the capacity of the area they held the celebration. Are there ever any Grey CUp parades in any city that wins? Been so long here in Winnipeg I forget!
6,000 is probably as much as you can hold at Olympic Plaza. That said, I think there is a bit of apathy towards the Grey Cup in Calgary. Thankfully not Toronto type apathy, but apathy due to having won it a few times over the last 10 years, and having been to the final three straight times.

Also Calgary suffers a bit from the same thing that plagues Toronto and Vancouver. IIRC Calgary has the third highest percentage of population (after Van and Tor) made up of people from other countries and cities, the local fan base isn't proportional to the population. CFL fans to to be more local than say NHL.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones2451 View Post
Looks like LaPolice has withdrawn from the Argos search and it appears according to Arash that Devone Claybrooks will be the coach in BC, so does that leave Corey Chambin in Toronto or do they go with someone different like Noel Thorpe from Ottawa

Either way, looks like all teams will be set for coaches by the end of the year
The local sports hacks in Winnipeg were predicting LaPolice would stay put because apparently the MLSE ownership situation in Toronto is not all that appealing to him... but still, it's surprising that he would turn down the prospect of an HC job.

I was asked many times within this forum and IRL about who would possibly coach the Bombers if O'Shea got axed... it sure looks like a lot of other teams had no trouble finding adequate coaching talent out there. Yet here we are in Winnipeg, heading into year 6 of the regime, hoping to advance to our first Grey Cup game under O'Shea

Speaking of the Bombers and Grey Cups and parades, the pics from our last parade/celebration look like they are from ye olden times now...

At the old Winnipeg Arena:

Old Posted Dec 8, 2018, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineN View Post
6,000 is probably as much as you can hold at Olympic Plaza. That said, I think there is a bit of apathy towards the Grey Cup in Calgary. Thankfully not Toronto type apathy, but apathy due to having won it a few times over the last 10 years, and having been to the final three straight times.

Also Calgary suffers a bit from the same thing that plagues Toronto and Vancouver. IIRC Calgary has the third highest percentage of population (after Van and Tor) made up of people from other countries and cities, the local fan base isn't proportional to the population. CFL fans to to be more local than say NHL.
Bingo. Calgary has the third highest percentage of immigrants of Canadian cities, around 30% and probably the same percentage of Canadians who weren't born and raised in another city. Sometimes it amazes me the Calgary has a decent fan base at all.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2018, 10:50 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Yep - most people in Calgary are from somewhere else and thus not necessarily fans of the local teams.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 3:36 PM

Corey Chamblin (former Grey Cup winning HC of the Sask Roughriders for those with foggy memories) has just been hired as the new Toronto Argonauts HC.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 4:04 PM

Bombers star Andrew Harris opens up in revealing documentary
3Down Staff December 9, 2018

No college football. No father. Two rushing titles. One Grey Cup and no one stopping him.

Andrew Harris opens up like never before in a new documentary produced by Sway and aired on TSN about his incredible rise to the top running back in the CFL.

“I’m definitely nervous about the whole documentary being out there. There’s definitely some sort of weird feeling inside. But I’m pretty proud of who I am and what I’ve come through and where I’m at today,” Harris told the Winnipeg Sun.

“I’m not an overly open person to begin with. But it’s for a bigger purpose.”

Harris was born and raised in Winnipeg, didn’t play university football and still has become the back-to-back CFL rushing champion.

“You go from living in Winnipeg to a trailer park in Steinbach,” Harris says at one point in the film. “And I’m the only black kid in the school. And I’m getting called a n—-. And they’re just tearing me down. The fact I went through fatherhood. The fact I didn’t go to a big school, or didn’t go to school at all. I grew up in a predominantly white neighbourhood and town,” Harris said.

“But it hasn’t all been negative. I’m being real about my story, but there’s definitely been a lot of positives, too. Humble beginnings. I’ve been in places and seen situations where I never want to be again. It keeps me working hard. It keeps me in check.”

If you missed it on TSN during Grey Cup week, check it out below.

‘I Shouldn’t Be Here: The Andrew Harris Story’

Last edited by elly63; Dec 10, 2018 at 4:15 PM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Corey Chamblin (former Grey Cup winning HC of the Sask Roughriders for those with foggy memories) has just been hired as the new Toronto Argonauts HC.
And DeVone Claybrooks in BC. Great to see some new faces in the coaching ranks.......

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 4:29 PM

I have listened to a few interviews with DeVone Claybrooks in BC and he is amazing, candid, funny, straight shooter, but knows his stuff

I think he will attract free agents to BC that want to play for him and the fans and media will really like what he brings

Very excited about this hire!!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineN View Post
6,000 is probably as much as you can hold at Olympic Plaza.
They held it in the plaza in front of City Hall, so not even Olympic Plaza (which can hold many more people).

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 8:59 PM

Argos sign Canadian QB Noah Picton
3Down Staff December 16, 2018

The Toronto Argonauts have signed Canadian quarterback Noah Picton to a three-year contract.

Picton finished his USports career with the University of Regina Rams as the all-time passing leader throwing for 11,496 yards. Only six Canadian university quarterbacks have ever gone over 10,000 passing yards.

After a stellar 2017 season, Picton showed he was more athletic than scouts predicted, but it didn’t lead to any CFL team taking him in the 2018 draft. The Argos signed Picton to a free agent deal, bringing him to training camp in the spring and then-Argos head coach Marc Trestman was impressed enough by Picton that he vowed to watch Canada West film from his final season with the Rams. The Argos have kept tabs on Picton and elected to bring him back into the fold.

The Regina native was a star coming out of LeBoldus High School in Regina, leading the team to a provincial title in 2012. After redshirting the 2013 Canadian university football season, Picton took over Regina’s starting quarterback role in 2014. He started every game for the Rams until Sept. 29 – staying healthy and available through the rigours of a fast-paced university schedule – when he became the USports passing leader in style, tossing a 35-yard touchdown.

But that was the last time Picton stepped on the field in a university game. After playing against Manitoba Picton’s foot flared up with what was eventually diagnosed as septic arthritis, which led to excruciating pain and even can be lethal in some cases. That kept Picton on the sidelines for the final three games of his university career.

However, Picton has been recovering and should be ready to hit the field for Argos training camp in May.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 1:47 PM
arf

I wish him the best and hope he's successful at the next level. Somewhat disappointed he couldn't have ended up here. Training camp would have been worth making the trip to Saskatoon given the crazy attention he would have got here.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 9:54 PM

Let's hope the 2019 CFL Schedule is released this week!!!!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I wish him the best and hope he's successful at the next level. Somewhat disappointed he couldn't have ended up here. Training camp would have been worth making the trip to Saskatoon given the crazy attention he would have got here.
Jim Popp has a proven history of looking at Canadian QBs, here's hoping he's given a chance, unfortunately he will have to be twice as good because of the stigmas of his citizenship and his size.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 11:00 PM

The times they are a changin'

Canadian DL Kwaku Boateng works out for Los Angeles Chargers
Justin Dunk December 18, 2018

Canadian defensive lineman Kwaku Boateng worked out for the Los Angeles Chargers on Tuesday.

It’s Boateng’s second visit to an NFL team after going to the New York Jets last week.

Boateng had a stellar first season as a full-time starter for the Edmonton Eskimos recording 26 tackles and nine sacks in 16 games. The 23-year-old is a fast-rising ratio-breaking pass rusher.

Edmonton selected Boateng in the fifth round, 41st overall in the 2017 CFL draft and immediately made an impact for the Eskimos making 21 tackles, four sacks and one forced fumble during his rookie season. He was the team’s most outstanding rookie last year and most outstanding Canadian following the 2018 campaign.

Boateng stands six-foot-two, 255 pounds. When Boateng gets on the field that’s where he really excels: playing the game.

The two-time USports All-Canadian played an integral role in the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks run to a 2016 Yates Cup championship, the program’s first since 2005. Laurier’s career sack leader (20.5) proved his ability to rush the passer at the university level. He was a two-time academic All-Canadian as well.

Boateng is a pending free agent in the CFL. NFL interest – Boateng attended Chicago Bears rookie mini-camp in 2017 – will raise his stock north of the border while giving him the potential of signing a futures deal down south.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada