HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

View Poll Results: What team would be more successful in Vancouver?
Major League Baseball franchise 14 40.00%
National Basketball League franchise. 21 60.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
One bonus for baseball is their season doesn't overlap with the Canucks. Imagine how much attention the "Grizzlies" would have got in Vancouver last year? Yes, baseball would also hurt for the first part of the season, but it wraps up the regular season right when the NHL resumes, and a Vancouver MLB team in the playoffs would likely dominate the sports media for the month of October if it were to happen.

It will always be a hockey-first City. That's a given, but #2 is up for grabs. Sorry, the CFL still isn't "major-league" and the MLS is a bit higher than the CFL due to the fact it's an American league mostly. But I think a Vancouver MLB team run properly in an awesome ball park could easily grab the #2 spot. Basketball would do well also, BUT they are always going to be facing up against the Canucks.
#2 will always be up for grabs in this town. You have the Lions, and the 'Caps as the two teams that are competing for that second spot in the hearts of Vancouverites. With that being said, the NBA is still a more plausible and realistic shot here in Van., only because of that issue with stadium. building a new ballpark isn't going to fly here, especially after a newly renovated BC Place, where government just spent half a billion dollars on it. I understand your points, though, and yeah, it'd be awesome to have a MLB team here, but I just cannot see it being done 10-20 years from now at the very least.

An NBA franchise may go head on head with the Canucks, but like you've said, being #2 isn't all that bad. There will be support for the NBA franchise, it's just that more of it will be going to the Canucks, where it should be, because of the hockey mad town we're in. that's just reality.

And having a ballpark out in the suburbs just doesn't make much sense. Having the stadium in downtown Van., or nearabouts the area, will make more sense, as businesses are down there.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 6:52 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I think Basketball would've been successful had it never left, but it did and I think it burnt many bridges when it did. I just don't see it coming back for a generation or so, I'm sure Seattle will get their team back before we do.
I think we could support the team though if we get one.
Baseball on the other hand I don't think there's a market for here, not one big enough to support it's own team. We could certainly entertain a seris ever other year though.
I think we should give our support to the Lions and Whitecaps first and keep them healthy instead.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
I think Basketball would've been successful had it never left, but it did and I think it burnt many bridges when it did. I just don't see it coming back for a generation or so, I'm sure Seattle will get their team back before we do.
I think we could support the team though if we get one.
Baseball on the other hand I don't think there's a market for here, not one big enough to support it's own team. We could certainly entertain a seris ever other year though.
I think we should give our support to the Lions and Whitecaps first and keep them healthy instead.
I think basketball would be successful here should it come back. I think a lot of people don't give enough credit to the asian community here - where with Indo-Canadians, and Chinese-Canadians (immigrants - Taiwanese, Philippinos, etc) the sport of basketball is absolutely HUGE. And we do have a dominant asian population here. It's been said time and time again, that future management of an NBA franchise (should they come here), needs to target those people groups.

I agree though, support needs to be given to the 'Caps and Lions for now, as they are our Summer pro teams. It's been a terrible Summer with regards to our pro sports teams though. The Lions are 1-6 (depending on tonight's game, they could be 1-7), and the 'Caps are not better, actually, worse, at 3-13-9. Granted, the Whitecaps are in their first season in top tier North American Soccer, but no excuses. I am hopeful, that the 'Caps will be better next year, though, with head coach, Martin Rennie (hearing good things about him, thus far).

I think if another professional sports franchise were to come to our beautiful city - it would most likely be the NBA, not MLB. MLB maybe in a couple of decades, but the NBA, I can see returning within the next 5-10 years from today.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
One bonus for baseball is their season doesn't overlap with the Canucks. Imagine how much attention the "Grizzlies" would have got in Vancouver last year? Yes, baseball would also hurt for the first part of the season, but it wraps up the regular season right when the NHL resumes, and a Vancouver MLB team in the playoffs would likely dominate the sports media for the month of October if it were to happen.

It will always be a hockey-first City. That's a given, but #2 is up for grabs. Sorry, the CFL still isn't "major-league" and the MLS is a bit higher than the CFL due to the fact it's an American league mostly. But I think a Vancouver MLB team run properly in an awesome ball park could easily grab the #2 spot. Basketball would do well also, BUT they are always going to be facing up against the Canucks.
Can't stand the CFL, but the MLS has low ratings. Of course there is the potential to grow.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
I think both pro basketball and pro baseball would do well here (major leagues, of course). But because baseball has no salary cap, I would find it hard for a professional baseball franchise here in Van, to compete with the likes of the other franchises in MLB. It would have to go through the Blue Jays of building young, and keeping the core together. With that being said, I think basketball would have a better chance of succeeding the second time around. I know some people here in Van, are still bitter about the 6 disasterous seasons - but let's forget the past, and embrace the future, and not complain about what was, but have enough vision to see what could be. I'd be thrilled if an NBA franchise came to Vancouver, and of course, for that franchise to be managed well (not like the Stu Jackson era). People will give it a chance, if management is competent, and they see gradual improvements (we didn't see that when the Grizzlies were here - it was 6 seasons of tremendous losses, 19 in a row at one point).

I'd love to see both MLB and NBA here in this beautiful town of ours.
This is what I'd like to see

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 11:29 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
I'd be thrilled if an NBA franchise came to Vancouver, and of course, for that franchise to be managed well (not like the Stu Jackson era). People will give it a chance, if management is competent, and they see gradual improvements (we didn't see that when the Grizzlies were here - it was 6 seasons of tremendous losses, 19 in a row at one point).

I'd love to see both MLB and NBA here in this beautiful town of ours.
If Winnipeg can get the Jets back, there's no reason Vancouver can't get the Grizz back.

That being said, I think MLS has a pretty decent shot at taking the #2 spot.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 11:51 PM
See ya down under, mates

MLS should be No. 2, both due to the sport itself and the amount they're paying players. Eric Hassli can't continue making $900,000 a year if Vancouverites are still going to consider soccer beneath them.

I get the impression most people don't even realize the 'Caps are in a much more legit league now. PR failure.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 9:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
MLS should be No. 2, both due to the sport itself and the amount they're paying players. Eric Hassli can't continue making $900,000 a year if Vancouverites are still going to consider soccer beneath them.

I get the impression most people don't even realize the 'Caps are in a much more legit league now. PR failure.
I think people do realize that the 'Caps are in a better league. They've hammered the truth that MLS is the highest soccer league and competition in North America (which is true, it is better competition than say the NASL). But yeah, if the Lions continue to stink up their season, the 'Caps have a decent chance of taking over spot #2 in the hearts of Vancouverites.

To be honest, I have not seen very much advertising about the Lions. Is it because they don't have a large budget for that, or what? I'm curious as to what the 'Caps will do to advertise to the consumer for next season. They need to get a soccer "name" in this town, for some people to continue going to games. Owen Hargreaves, perhaps (even though he's been injury prone)?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 4:15 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I think the lack of advertising this season for the Lions is because of Empire Field (perhaps for the Whitecaps as well). While neither is selling the place out they are both pretty close, not sure spending more on advertising would offer a good ROI. Will be interesting to see if that changes for next season once they have more seats available to sell.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 6:12 PM

Quote:
I think the lack of advertising this season for the Lions is because of Empire Field (perhaps for the Whitecaps as well). While neither is selling the place out they are both pretty close, not sure spending more on advertising would offer a good ROI. Will be interesting to see if that changes for next season once they have more seats available to sell.
I think advertising a bit more than they have would do them some good. They can't compete with the Canucks, we all know that, but there's barely anything from the 'Caps, since their season started, and virtually nothing on tv, or internet or email, or FB, etc., from the Lions. I don't think location (place of play) had to do anything with it. The "love" of Empire Fields has definitely gone, but it's still a nice place to be during the Summer, can't say the same when the weather starts getting cooler, and wetter. It will definitely be interesting on how they're going to advertise themselves respectfully (both the Lions and the 'Caps).

As a side note, I often wonder how MLS is going to raise their quality of play on the field. The league cannot continue to depend on European players. The league needs to grow organically - needs to produce better players from US, and Canada, and if they do attract european players to come over, how do they do that when the players are still young, and entering their prime? MLS has players like Beckham, Keane (recent signing with Galaxy), Theirry, etc., but these players are past their prime. They are well over their 30's (some entering into their late thirties). How does this change?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
If Winnipeg can get the Jets back, there's no reason Vancouver can't get the Grizz back.

That being said, I think MLS has a pretty decent shot at taking the #2 spot.
I agree with you. I think if Winnipeg can get their team back, there's no reason why Vancouver can't get another shot at the NBA. and this time, doing it the right way. Really, though, the only way the NBA is coming back here, is through the ownership of the Aquilini's. Aside from them, I don't see anyone else stepping up. An NBA franchise has got to be owned by CSE (Canucks Sports & Entertainment).

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 6:43 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

To clarify I didn't mean Empire Fields location being the responsible for the lack of advertising, but it's capacity. Both the teams are close to capacity so dumping a ton of money into advertising would've provided very minimal gains.

Imo, the NBA is more likely to contract then it is to expand in the immediate future, and if relocation is the desired path there are certainly a couple of cities ahead of ours in line. Like I said I believe it would work here, but I don't foresee it happening for at least another decade if not two.

I'd rather have more once a year sporting events myself, like a major tennis open, golf open, major car race etc. Stuff that puts the worlds eyes on a city for a couple of days. Looks at how much attention Quebec city gets due to it's crashed ice event. Heck I'd love to see the Red Bull air race come to either False Creek or the Burrard Inlet.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 7:08 PM

I hope David Stern recognizes how this city got ripped off. The players basically sabotaged the franchise, we had terrible ownership, not great management, shortchanged in the draft, and terrible exchange rate($).

At least let the city prove that it doesn't deserve a team. All of the conditions mentioned above have changed significantly. There is a larger international pool of players to choose from, much more dedicated owners, and a far stronger dollar. The new CBA could favour Vancouver as well.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 9:04 PM
Hello World

Just FYI, baseball is huge in Japan, Korea and Taiwan as well. In fact, that is basically their national sports there. So, honestly, I see both NBA and MLB doing well here and they should have no worries attracting the huge Asian population Metro Vancouver has here.

However, I understand that realistically, probably NBA would be the most financially feasible team to have here in the next decade or two.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 9:16 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMapel View Post

However, I understand that realistically, probably NBA would be the most financially feasible team to have here in the next decade or two.
Why is that?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Why is that?
Have a facility ready to host the NBA on a moment's notice.

BC Place would be akin to the Metrodome in Minnesota - if not worse. It would work on the short term, but a baseball-only facility is needed long-term.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 10:18 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:

...a baseball-only facility is needed long-term.
Why is that?

The Blue Jays have not played in a baseball-only facility for more than two decades and have no plans to play in one.

If the new BC Place is indeed configurable for major league baseball, then we have a newly-renovated, state-of-the-art facility ready to host MLB at a moment's notice too.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 10:36 PM
Dont let the name fool u

It's the NBA. But even that isn't likely. Although, the Grizzlies should have never left, I don't think the NBA will be very interested in having a team in Vancouver. To be honest, that's for the better. The NBA has a large amount of issues plaguing that league and its no loss to the city of Vancouver to not have that league in town. There's no way a baseball team would work in Vancouver. Toronto and Montreal could barely sustain a team, why would Vancouver be able to?

PS - Nice to see the Lions win last night. The Lions are far better than their 2-6 record indicates.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 10:39 PM

Stadium requirements for a new franchise or newly relocated team would be more stringent than an already established franchise like Toronto. There is already concern at BC Place about the height of the scoreboard. The fact is, its not a very good baseball venue. While on the other hand Rogers Arena is a good basketball venue, with willing local ownership.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
To clarify I didn't mean Empire Fields location being the responsible for the lack of advertising, but it's capacity. Both the teams are close to capacity so dumping a ton of money into advertising would've provided very minimal gains.

Imo, the NBA is more likely to contract then it is to expand in the immediate future, and if relocation is the desired path there are certainly a couple of cities ahead of ours in line. Like I said I believe it would work here, but I don't foresee it happening for at least another decade if not two.

I'd rather have more once a year sporting events myself, like a major tennis open, golf open, major car race etc. Stuff that puts the worlds eyes on a city for a couple of days. Looks at how much attention Quebec city gets due to it's crashed ice event. Heck I'd love to see the Red Bull air race come to either False Creek or the Burrard Inlet.
Yeah. I know what you mean about the venue. I think I was trying to get across as well the advertising for the team, and the television that the 'caps would be shown. It's strange to me, that the team decided to put the 'Caps on TSN2, rather than just on TSN, or Sportsnet (for the majority of their games, I don't think that's the case, correct me, however, if I am wrong in that regards). I think the 'Caps needed as much exposure to the public about their team, and on field product as possible. Now, with the team reeling at 3-13-9, I really can't see too many people watching those games on tv. Management should have taken the approach the Canucks took (exposing their on ice product to as many people in the lower mainland as possible - through networks such as CBC, TSN, Sportsnet, etc). With that being said, I am a supporter, and will watch the 'Caps play tonight against Portland, unless it's a blowout like the DC United game.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation