HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 27, 2012, 4:50 AM
Meh

I got a building height for the Seaholm Apartment tower. It will be 314 feet. I'm still working on getting the heights to the main roof vs the mechanical penthouse, but at least now we know kind of where it'll be. That would make it the 18th tallest building in Austin right between the Chase Bank Tower and the Texas Capitol.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 6:15 AM
Meh

As expected the 314 foot height that I received for the Seaholm apartment tower is only to the main roof. He told me the height came from a progress print and didn't show the mechanical penthouse height. So the building could be another 10 to 15 feet taller.

He also told me that the site elevations are still being developed. He said the design team (STG Architects), is not ready yet to submit for a building permit. He said he expects that to happen this fall.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 7:13 AM

So yet further delays.....sigh, this thing has been the never ending saga....
at least four and a half years into the process and what do we have to show for it???????_______________NOTHING!!!!!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 7:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixcity View Post
So yet further delays.....sigh, this thing has been the never ending saga....
at least four and a half years into the process and what do we have to show for it???????_______________NOTHING!!!!!
i wanted to say the same thing but didn't wanna sound like a pessimist. i have a feeling that "this fall" will continue into "next spring" and so on.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 5:09 PM

Hahaha, yea my pessimistic side has been showing more and more recently....still love my city though

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
i wanted to say the same thing but didn't wanna sound like a pessimist. i have a feeling that "this fall" will continue into "next spring" and so on.
It is all about funding. I am sure the developer intends to use as little of its own money as possible for construction. Construction loans are still hard to come by, but I bet once they line up the dough, they'll be fast-forwarding towards a start date. I never really believe in a project until the developer makes an announcement regarding financing that contains some specifics as opposed to broad generalizations. Those are the projects that get built.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2012, 8:21 PM

I don't think this has been posted before, but I found some renderings from December 7, 2011 of a proposed Second Street auto & pedestrian bridge over Shoal Creek and some other stuff.

Go here and then click on each of the 7 pdf files.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2012, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
I don't think this has been posted before, but I found some renderings from December 7, 2011 of a proposed Second Street auto & pedestrian bridge over Shoal Creek and some other stuff.

Go here and then click on each of the 7 pdf files.

It says webpage not available?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2012, 5:13 AM

I don't know what to tell you. It works for me. Here's the url not hyperlinked

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/Lower_Shoa...11_Submission/

Is anyone else having trouble seeing, or just Jon?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2012, 6:05 AM
Meh

It works for me.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 5, 2012, 6:23 AM

It worked for me.... its gonna look very nice. It somehow still has like a typical small downtown look to it even though it will be more modern. I think its awesome.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2012, 7:54 AM
~Hook'em~

I like it. That is prefect for Second Street which is a very small road and mostly pedestrian anyway.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2012, 11:08 AM

City in talks to save big trees at Green redevelopment site downtown
By Sarah Coppola
Austin American Statesman
August 6, 2012

Quote:
City of Austin officials are in talks with Trammell Crow Co. about possibly saving eight large trees on a city-owned block the company plans to redevelop.

The City Council OK'd a deal with Trammell Crow in May for the company to buy and transform the former site of the city's Green Water Treatment Plant into a $500 million project with shops, eateries, offices and housing spread across a few towers.

[SNIP]

City staffers have met a few times with company officials since May and plan to meet again in the next few weeks, but no agreement has been reached, city arborist Michael Embesi said.

Trammell Crow Principal Adam Nims did not return a phone call or email Monday. The company has said it plans to break ground on the Green project early next year.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2012, 3:22 PM

Old Posted Aug 7, 2012, 3:37 PM

yawn, early next year
and why has it taken until now to have this talk about the trees???

Old Posted Aug 7, 2012, 6:24 PM
Meh

Patience people. And it's a good thing they're thinking of saving the trees. Texas just went through the worst drought we've seen in more than 50 years. The state lost an estimated 500 million trees. I don't have a problem with them moving 8 trees. They could easily be moved to a downtown park. It won't even take that long. They can move a tree in less than a week.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 7, 2012, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Patience people. And it's a good thing they're thinking of saving the trees. Texas just went through the worst drought we've seen in more than 50 years. The state lost an estimated 500 million trees. I don't have a problem with them moving 8 trees. They could easily be moved to a downtown park. It won't even take that long. They can move a tree in less than a week.
It's not that I don't want those trees to be saved, its that there yet arrives some other issue delaying yet another project. Why couldn't they have figured this out like 5 or 7 years ago when this area was planned to be redeveloped? You'd figure that if Austin was really all about "saving trees" they'd of figured out something that simple a long time ago.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2012, 6:42 PM
Meh

I would assume the thinking was don't spend the money on the trees, stress them and go through the work of moving them until you know for sure that something is going to be built there. I take the news that they're planning to move the trees as a good sign since it means Trammel Crow is serious about starting construction. This isn't any normal highrise project. We're talking about 4 towers with almost 2 million square feet of space covering around 4 acres. It's likely the largest highrise development Austin has probably ever seen. Seaholm will be similar, although, there are no trees at the Seaholm site.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 7, 2012, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I would assume the thinking was don't spend the money on the trees, stress them and go through the work of moving them until you know for sure that something is going to be built there. I take the news that they're planning to move the trees as a good sign since it means Trammel Crow is serious about starting construction. This isn't any normal highrise project. We're talking about 4 towers with almost 2 million square feet of space covering around 4 acres. It's likely the largest highrise development Austin has probably ever seen. Seaholm will be similar, although, there are no trees at the Seaholm site.
Ok, I guess I see what you're saying now. I hope it all works out just fine.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 4:41 AM

More on the trees (with a video)

Fate of downtown Austin Heritage Trees still uncertain
By: Chris Cybulski
Your News Now
August 7, 2012

Quote:
The design for the project isn’t complete because it depends on the location of the historic trees.

[SNIP]

Project director, the Trammel Crow Company, hopes to begin construction in nine months. Crow plans to extend Second and Nueces streets before putting up four towers.

They say the project should take between five and seven years to complete, once they know what to do with the trees.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin