HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priller View Post
I do, too. This is pretty awesome!

That IS awesome. Seems like it puts a lot of the views out of the 360 in jeopardy. Something to take into consideration for anyone planning on buying there.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGuy View Post
That IS awesome. Seems like it puts a lot of the views out of the 360 in jeopardy. Something to take into consideration for anyone planning on buying there.
Yup blocks my view.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 5:52 PM

Actually if the shorter tower isnt too high up I should be fine.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 6:00 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I love the first rendering the best too.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 7:04 PM
the air is great up here

Height!

Though it's hard to discern building heights from the renderings, the print version of the story has a table indicating a 54 or 55-story building for a couple of the proposals. Look out Austonian!

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 10:44 PM

This is just a personal thing I guess, but I don't really like the 1st rendering.

I mean, the height, and design of the buildings are awesome!! But I hate that they all look like eachother. I personally like for each building in a downtown to have its own character. I would maybe even be ok with twin towers or something, but to have 5 buildings that all connect with eachother in design, with the blue things on the roof and such, it just looks too simcity to me. Does anyone know what I mean? Its kind of hard to put what I'm thinking into words.

My favorite is the HEB proposal, one because it would be SOO awesome to have an HEB downtown, but also from the looks of the base, the design looks pretty great too!

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 12:03 AM

From the Statesman's article
Quote:
Although the city has imposed an unusually short time frame for the selection of a development team, the redevelopment of the sites won't begin for several years. The city won't be able to turn over the water treatment site until 2010, and the Austin Energy site won't be available until 2011.
So we're looking at 2013-2015 for completions...gives a lot of time for changes between now and then.

Too bad precious lots like the CSC buildings and AMLI 1 are squatty in a truely emerging 2nd st. District

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 1:38 AM

Quote:

Now imagine the two huge buildings across from the federal court house, the court house it's self, the W, the new art museum and office building and woh talk about an awesome time to be downtown! Heck by the time these condo's start selling I might actually maybe able to afford to move back!! I'm totally EXCITED!!!!

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRCool View Post
My favorite is the HEB proposal, one because it would be SOO awesome to have an HEB downtown, but also from the looks of the base, the design looks pretty great too!
It would be freak'n awesome to have an HEB downtown.. but east downtown is where it is needed BADLY, IMO!

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGuy View Post
ohh.. yeah that does suck but look on the bright side. Their utility bill will be cheaper.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsjv View Post
It would be freak'n awesome to have an HEB downtown.. but east downtown is where it is needed BADLY, IMO!
Amen to that!

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 5:05 AM
De Lurk Squad

If any of these proposals become a reality it will be a success. A productive use of downtown land and connectivity to seaholm development with 2nd st. Now thats progress people!!

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 6:17 AM

Quote:

What I really like about this design is that they made use of the (is it called...) "power station" that will remain. Looks like they put solar panels over it. Will help it not be such an eyesore! They also included the library in the rendering!

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 2:15 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by austintilIdie View Post
...So we're looking at 2013-2015 for completions...gives a lot of time for changes between now and then...
Possibly...the GWTP site will be ready for development in Feb. 2010. I would assume that these projects will not be built all at once; they may be phased in over time and/or as market demand warrants. If this is the case, and if construction begins at GWTP by the end of 2010, we may see delivery of the first building(s) by late 2012 (and complete delivery by 2013-2014).

Furthermore, phased projects are subject to a higher probability of modifications to the overall master (or site) plan due to potential alterations in market conditions. These changes may lead to setbacks in the city permitting process, thus delaying delivery time.

With regard to the ECC site, which will be made ready by 2011, all five proposals indicate only one building on that property. Therefore, if construction begins by the end of 2011, we may see delivery of that structure some 24-30 months later.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 5:31 PM

Am I missing it or is the site plan/rendering from Stratus Properties not availble? All I see is the street sceen, but no other drawings to see what they will put on each part of the site.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 5:43 PM
Meh

They didn't release one. I was a bit confused too, until i read the print edition which listed all the developers and what renderings they belonged to.

There's a thread in the Mid-level highrises proposed section that has a bit more details about it.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=150674

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRCool View Post
This is just a personal thing I guess, but I don't really like the 1st rendering.

I mean, the height, and design of the buildings are awesome!! But I hate that they all look like eachother. I personally like for each building in a downtown to have its own character. I would maybe even be ok with twin towers or something, but to have 5 buildings that all connect with eachother in design, with the blue things on the roof and such, it just looks too simcity to me. Does anyone know what I mean? Its kind of hard to put what I'm thinking into words.

I have heard many folks like that design because of the HEB. Problem is we can't really see the design. I would like to see how the big picture looks for them....or is it there I just can't connect the dots? In any case..... perhaps the idea of another grocery store will be popular enough that the city could nedgotiate it into any proposal. (?not sure such negotiaions are possible, but can't imagine a company that wants to get this gig wouldn't consider such a popular move)

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 4:43 PM

IMO... all of these proposals should have 2 images...

1. the overall arial view/vision
2. a street level shot to show emenities and lifestyle affordancees and overall street level aesthetic.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 3:25 PM

Provide feedback on The Green Proposals!!

http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrob...d=oid%3A625020

we need some support to get some citizen tax dollars rather than fight this "sell off" where we as citizens are not getting anything in return.

The only thing citizens really have a right to provide input on are what amenities should be on this land [and yes developing would lighten tax burdens on our city].

Crashing the Green Water Treatment Plant Proposal Party
BY KATHERINE GREGOR

Want to hear developer proposals for the biggest Downtown Austin redevelopment project in history? Then plan to spend an afternoon at City Hall on Thursday, May 22. Starting at 1pm, council will hear from the five proposing master developers for the Green Water Treat­ment Plant (and Austin Energy) site. Each team will make 45-minute pitches of their visions and proposals (to be aired and rebroadcast on Channel 6), and council members are scheduled to vote on the winning team June 19 – unless Juneteenth and the annual parade force a reschedule.

But the noisy parade of activists upset about this huge sell-off of citizen-owned land to developers could blow Juneteenth out of the water, if the public doesn't get an adequate voice in the selection and the project. Departing Assistant City Manager Laura Huff­man had said the city would provide a significant forum, such as a town hall meeting, for interactive public input on the developer proposals. However, Andrew Moore of Council Member Mike Martinez's office said Tuesday that no public meetings are scheduled. Instead, the models and visual displays will be placed in the City Hall atrium lobby after the May 22 meeting. The public can provide feedback on computer terminals nearby and via the city's website. Got questions? See www.ci.austin.tx.us/seaholm/green.htm, or call the city staffer in charge: Fred Evins, 974-7131.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 7:00 PM
Meh

I would love to get down there and take pictures of the models.

Thou shall not indict

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin