HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 12, 2011, 9:20 PM
the air is great up here

The last couple of weeks or so, the bulldozers have stopped flattening the Green site and started terrasculpting. They're turning this huge parcel into what looks like a cross between a 9-hole golf course and a BMX track, complete with miniature hills and valleys. I'm not kidding, you have to see it to believe it.

What on earth is going on? Some kind of temporary park use while the credit markets recover? I had thought the city might move forward with the extensions of 2nd and Nueces Streets and utility infrastructure, even if Trammel Crow's master-plan development is a few years off. But that certainly does not seem to be the case.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars-man View Post
The last couple of weeks or so, the bulldozers have stopped flattening the Green site and started terrasculpting. They're turning this huge parcel into what looks like a cross between a 9-hole golf course and a BMX track, complete with miniature hills and valleys. I'm not kidding, you have to see it to believe it.

What on earth is going on? Some kind of temporary park use while the credit markets recover? I had thought the city might move forward with the extensions of 2nd and Nueces Streets and utility infrastructure, even if Trammel Crow's master-plan development is a few years off. But that certainly does not seem to be the case.
yea... I asked earlier on here.... we speculated it was a "holding pattern". The seeding is so the dirt does not continue to blow around while the planning of the development continues. AND we guessed that they just left the holes knowing the buildings that go there would want to dig down anyway

But those are big guesses !

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 10:34 PM

I was looking at the grading of the site today, and it is really strange. It seems they went out of their way to create a weird landscape.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 7:23 PM
the air is great up here

Exactly. You really need a bird's-eye view to appreciate the weirdness of what they've done. It's almost like an environmental art installation. Perhaps Christo is in town?

I'll see if I can take some pics from 360 if the sun ever comes out again.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Exactly. You really need a bird's-eye view to appreciate the weirdness of what they've done. It's almost like an environmental art installation. Perhaps Christo is in town?

I'll see if I can take some pics from 360 if the sun ever comes out again.
Oh... I would love to see that from that angle. I was just doing some research on him yesterday!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 3:31 AM
Meh

Seaholm Hotel & Condos. It looks like it's around 300 feet tall or so.

http://www.seaholm.info/

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 9:53 PM
the air is great up here

Smile

The scale of this rendering is a little wacky. Notice the smokestacks, which appear to be slightly rearranged from their current position.

Nice to see some apparent movement on this project, though! Interesting how the tower mirrors Monarch. From a distance they'll look like a couple of butterflies flirting.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 3:50 PM

I've never noticed the street level entrance by the train track. I was wondering what access would be like to the Seaholm building. So that means you can have a drop off point on a lower level. That would make a great entrance from what I hope be a grand staircase up to the main hall. That could be cool.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 6:25 PM
the air is great up here

Update on Green redevelopment

Tantalizing news… Anyone who has full access to ABJ, please post the whole article if you can.

Trammell: Dirt could turn in Q1 on downtown Austin Green Water project

An ambitious public-private partnership that could further transform the south end of downtown Austin may start by early 2012 if developer Trammell Crow Co. can hammer out a final master development plan with city officials and, more importantly, find financing.

But there are hints that the project could be different than the grand project first presented to city officials about four years ago.

Rising from what’s now a grassy field and the former site of Austin’s first water treatment plant in southwest downtown, the Green Water mixed-use development was originally presented as a 2.6 million-square-foot complex consisting of a high-rise …

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/pr....html?ana=e_ph

Old Posted May 8, 2011, 6:02 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Im going to throw up if they downscale the project. It better be different in the way that it will be even better than the original project.

Old Posted May 8, 2011, 6:11 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Im going to throw up if they downscale the project. It better be different in the way that it will be even better than the original project.
I take it that its going to be smaller. Why would they use the word "grand" to describe the original project if the new project were "grander"? Whatever, the important thing is that there are more people living downtown. I'm assuming that a story will be in the Statesman soon.

Old Posted May 8, 2011, 8:39 PM
Meh

Well, I doubt grand was the developer's words even if the author did interview them for it. Newspaper columnists can sometimes get zealous with their words. Remember the article about the "ambitious" downtown plan?

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 6:51 PM
Meh

It looks like they just approved a contract with a construction company to move the Austin Energy Center site. The contract is for the construction of a new site in East Austin. The old (current site) in downtown is slated for two towers, one will likely be at least 500 feet tall.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...oks-large.html
Quote:
Austin City Council OKs large contracts: May 27

Austin Business Journal
Date: Friday, May 27, 2011, 10:15am CDT

Austin-based DPR Construction Inc. won a contract for up to $61.9 million for an energy system control center project. The city is relocating the center from West Avenue to a 2500 Montopolis Drive building that will be expanded to 174,000 square feet.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
It looks like they just approved a contract with a construction company to move the Austin Energy Center site. The contract is for the construction of a new site in East Austin. The old (current site) in downtown is slated for two towers, one will likely be at least 500 feet tall.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...oks-large.html
WOW! Happily surprised they are moving on that.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 3:12 PM

???

I forget the name of the properties I'm thinking of, but they built the 360. Is this the same project they're talking about? The one on the site of the current Post Office?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
WOW! Happily surprised they are moving on that.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRockstead View Post
I forget the name of the properties I'm thinking of, but they built the 360. Is this the same project they're talking about? The one on the site of the current Post Office?
I believe this is a smaller parcel of land that is North of Seaholm, East of West avenue in the curve of Shoal creek. Across the creek from 360.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 7:34 PM
the air is great up here

Right you are. This is the sleek little duo slated for directly west of 360 -- on the left side of the rendering below. I hope they haven't been scaled down.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Right you are. This is the sleek little duo slated for directly west of 360 -- on the left side of the rendering below. I hope they haven't been scaled down.

Who's right? Now i'm confused.

I really really hope Trammel Crow cranks out all those buildings in that rendering you posted... I think they would fill in a huge gap in our skyline... and they look great. Love the green roofs and terraces.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 7:17 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Yes I hope they build out those buildings as well, though we do know that they have changed the plans somewhat, my hope is it will be even bigger and better but I do not know. I really like those buildings next to 360, I think it will be a very neat complex once its finished.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 7:24 PM
the air is great up here

MichaelB is right. I was agreeing with him that Austin Energy is across the creek from 360, and will be making way for the sleek double-tower development on the left side of the rendering, as part of the larger Trammell Crow project. The unsightly post office, a tragic waste of the prime block at Guadalupe & 6th, is a few blocks to the northeast.

Unfortunately, from what I know about Taylor Andrews and his 360 partner Novare, don't hold your breath on anything happening soon with the post office site. Unless another developer ends up doing something there.

Who's right? Now i'm confused.

I really really hope Trammel Crow cranks out all those buildings in that rendering you posted... I think they would fill in a huge gap in our skyline... and they look great. Love the green roofs and terraces.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin