HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 5:35 PM

I saw Burj Dubai on the news the other day and was bored today so I had a little fun with sketchup and threw it into the buffalo skyline if it were built on the parking lot behind city hall

Looking west

Looking north

looking northeast, check out the shadow, this is what it would look like at 5 pm in the summer

this is what it would roughly look like looking from the I-190

Last edited by sullymon54; Dec 9, 2007 at 9:51 PM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 7:42 AM

so this is the new tower Iskalo was talking about?

very cool idea. hopefully the city will be at a place to develop above 50 story's someday.it might take two issa towers to get to that point in time.

Dubai has so many beautiful projects. I really like one tower that is being built in Madrid.. i believe and can't remember the name.

this tower is just crazy! its like zeus decided to start a crack habit.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 9:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impressingagent View Post
so this is the new tower Iskalo was talking about?

very cool idea. hopefully the city will be at a place to develop above 50 story's someday.it might take two issa towers to get to that point in time.

Dubai has so many beautiful projects. I really like one tower that is being built in Madrid.. i believe and can't remember the name.

this tower is just crazy! its like zeus decided to start a crack habit.
Pienso que estás hablando acerca de Torre Espacio.

Lo me encanta también.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 12:52 PM

Here's a few pictures on the progress of the Waterfront Tower.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jas23/2...n/photostream/

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 7:16 PM

Three projects proposed for Buffalo waterfront
Sharon Linstedt - News Business Reporter

Three local development groups have filed proposals with the City of Buffalo to develop the last remaining residential land parcel along the Erie Basin Marina.

Benderson Development, best known for its national retail portfolio, is proposing a 60-70 unit condominium complex. Buffalo's Savarino Companies, which has a background in residential and commercial projects, wants to build a 16-unit condominium structure, incorporating green space along the marina's edge.

And Waterfront Medical Professionals LLC, a group of medical professionals, is partnering with Buffalo's McGuire Group, to propose a two-phase development that would include 18 units of mid-rise condominiums, and eight townhouse-style patio homes.

The city expects to name a designated developer for the prime site in early 2008.

http://www.buffalonews.com/258/story/225870.html

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 11:00 PM
Lurkerus Omnipresentus

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastperspective View Post
Damn....that's amazing.
Anything above 50 stories would look out of place in the Bflo. skyline.
All the preservationists would have a stroke if something one-quarter that size was proposed.
I think I'll go ahead and propose one, then, and that way we can kill all these people off (or at least remove them from the public eye), so that we can finally move forward as a city/metro.

Not that I would ever want to see that thing here, but I have about as many financial resources to be able to propose that as many others have had with their proposals.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 5:13 AM

The design for the proposed office building at 1159 Main Street:

http://buffalorising.com/story/midto..._continues#sca

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 5:30 AM

Looks great. It should do wonders for the neighborhood. one million times better than that crappy motel there now.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 3:38 PM
De Lurk Squad

As for the debate of which way to go with the rebuild of Route 5, I support the boulevard design which would encourage positive development and growth through what is now mostly an eyesore. Easier entry and exit to future businesses and residence verses the freeway design.

http://buffalo.bizjournals.com/buffa...ml?jst=b_ln_hl

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 12:04 PM

Higgins: Main Street Construction Begins Next Year

Congressman Brian Higgins (D-NY) said construction will begin next spring on a project to bring motorists back to Main Street.

"We can move quickly toward getting a final design and construction underway toward a completed project in early summer of 2009," Higgins said Wednesday.

Currently, Main Street is closed to cars for a 1.6 mile stretch where the metrorail runs above ground.

Business owners in the area have long said the lack of passing cars hurts their finances.

"I believe it was a nice try but it seems like it's not working," deli owner Albert Ramia said. "I can look around me and there's hardly any businesses open on this strip of Main Street."

City officials say that will eventually change with cars, pedestrians and the metrorail all sharing Main Street at the same time.

In order for that to happen, Buffalo Place Executive Director Michael Schmand says they first must make it easy for people to get downtown. That means turning the 700 block of Main Street into two-way traffic. Currently, it only flows away from town.

"It's all about access," Schmand said. "It's two-way traffic. It's giving people an opportunity to come back on a street that should be a street."

While the entire project could cost more than $50 million, only a portion of that funding has been secured. Schmand said he'll have to work with state and federal officials to find the additional money.

In the meantime, he said the city is taking a piece-by-piece approach by only tackling small portions of construction at a time. He said this limits the burden on business owners.

Higgins, meanwhile, understands why residents may be skeptical about the project getting underway. He knows there have been a lot of missed deadlines but believes the next one is something they can meet.

"I understand the frustrations. I understand the cynicism because I experience it myself. I think what we need here is leadership. I think we have the funding. I think we have to push this forward," he said.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 10:33 PM

^^I was so giddey when I saw this untill I saw that only a portion of the funding was secured. Why cant they do it in chunks of a time when they get funding in?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFFALOVE!! View Post
^^I was so giddey when I saw this untill I saw that only a portion of the funding was secured. Why cant they do it in chunks of a time when they get funding in?
In the meantime, he said the city is taking a piece-by-piece approach by only tackling small portions of construction at a time. He said this limits the burden on business owners.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 4:35 AM

Actor William Fichtner (from Cheektowaga) wrote this about Buffalo

http://fans.nhl.com/members/william_fichtner/blogs/4193

Welcome to Buffalo...
Monday December 17, 2007 @ 04:18 PM EST
Welcome to my town!

"So first things first – if you’ve never been to Buffalo, you’re in for a treat. It’s a great city, a great place to go and have a good time. We have good food, good bars, great people, and great sports teams. And just about everyone is a fan. There is nothing pretentious about the city at all, it’s just a good place to go, have a plate of chicken wings and a beer, watch the Sabres and relax with a good crowd.

Just be sure you remember your long underwear!

So let’s see, first things first: if you’re flying into Buffalo, you’re landing in my hometown, Cheektowaga, NY. And if you’re heading straight to the stadium, make sure you stop by the Galleria for some long underwear. Remember, you’ll be watching an outdoor game – outdoor! – in Buffalo, in January. So you gotta have the right gear. The Galleria will have just about anything you need to keep warm.

If you aren’t flying right in for the game, however – and I’m sure there are going to be people coming from out of town, and most people will probably have been there on New Years’ Eve or before – then you’re going to want to have a good time while you’re here. Buffalo is a town, I mean, I’ll be honest: it’s a party town. The bars are open to 4 am. People like to party in Buff. So you’re going to have to have an idea of where to go while you’re here.

We’ll start downtown. And what used to be the street that you didn’t go on when I was young, Chippewa, in downtown Buffalo, has become a bit of a hotspot. There were some seedy old bars there when I was a kid, but then in the 80s and 90s they blew that whole area out. Now it’s a younger, youth-happening scene, with music clubs, bars with live music, bars that feature pool, and darts; it’s quite a festive section of downtown Buffalo. And the best part? If you don’t like one bar walk 100 yards…there’s another one.

There is another place then, on Millersport Highway, it’s called Jack’s and that’s right across the street from a Marriott I believe…come to think of it that might have some people staying there for the game. You couldn’t be in a better spot. Jack’s is a real festive bar, it has all the local flavor you’d want, the best chicken wings in my opinion in Buffalo – and I know that’s saying a lot (and we’re going to get to chicken wings very soon, mark my words). The thing too, at Jack’s, there’s always a hockey game on, and again, I know you can’t get a bad wing in Buffalo but these are exceptional. It’s really close to get to the arena as well, right off one of the local highways in Buffalo.

As a matter of fact, this place is so good, this coming Saturday night (while I’ll be home with my in-laws), there will be a bit of a party there. A reunion of sorts, one that started about 10 years ago and has become a bit of a tradition. The Saturday before Christmas guys and girls I grew up with will get together for a pitcher of beer and a plate of wings. It started with 10, then 15, then 25 people…but this Saturday from my high school I bet there will be at least 100, 150 people that will be at Jack’s. And I’ll be thinking of ‘em.

So one of those friends, my best friend Joanne from high school, put me on to another place called Duff’s. It’s a chain place, and they just opened up one on Southwestern, right out by the stadium. There are two others, and it’s been a long time since I’ve had a wing at Duff’s, but apparently, it hasn’t changed. Another great place to relax and have a good time.

Then of course you have the original Anchor bar, in downtown Buff, they say that’s where the wings began, so to speak. But the Anchor bar, and it’s been a long time since I’ve been there as well, you know they haven’t been famous for this long if they don’t make a darn good wing.

You know what? Come to think of it – for those that are going to be around, check out any local supermarket, gas station, bar, restaurant, whatever – just find a place where you can get the Gusto, a local paper. It’s something you can get all around the Buffalo area. Pick up a copy of the Gusto, and you’ll get all the action, everything that even I wouldn’t know about. And it’ll all have a Buffalo flavor.

OK, so that’s the bar scene. But for those of you who might be looking for a little extra, if you have never been to western NY and you’re that close to Niagara, you shouldn’t miss the Falls. There isn’t a season it isn’t beautiful to see the falls, and I don’t know the last time this happened, but at its coldest, sometimes the falls can freeze. Usually it happens a little bit later, when a bit more winter comes on, but when it does happen, it looks like a postcard. It looks like a picture of the falls in the summertime – it just stops, it is amazing, it’s perfectly still. When I was a kid and the falls would freeze, it was unbelievable; it was a still photo of Niagara Falls.

I also suggest the trip up to Niagara in itself. It’s a beautiful ride – for the best effect, go over the Peace Bridge, from Fort Erie to Niagara on the Canadian side. You drive up, you look for the road to Niagara Falls, and you can literally follow the Niagara River the entire time. It’s a two-lane road, and that is my favorite way to get to the Falls. When you drive that way you wind up coming right up to the falls and when you come up to them you’re right at the tip of the horseshoe falls. That’s what I think is the most spectacular view. You can walk up to it and the water is just a mater right in front of you, and drops right off; you can feel the ground rumble you get a look at the American falls right on.

Finally, if you’re at Niagara, go to the little towns, the wax museums, you can spend an afternoon and see half of n and the bars and the restaurants, if you find your way all the ay there, see the falls see a wonder of the world.

So that’s good for a start, I think. Personally, I can’t wait for this game. I’ll be there with my family – and the last time I was in Rich Stadium in the winter, the Bills were playing the Dolphins in the playoffs, in early 90s, I kid you not, it was so cold I went to get two beers for me and my brother-in-law, it’s maybe 50 yards away, and by the time I got back, the top inch of the beer was slush. I don’t know if it’ll be that way then but needless to say, its gets chilly in Buffalo.

Next time, we’ll talk a little bit about the food you can get in Buffalo – the stuff you can’t get anywhere else. Until then, just remember one thing…and if you only take one thing out of this blog, make it this one thing…

Bring your longjohns, it’s going to be a cold one!

See you next time. "

I never knew he was from Cheektowaga. I'm glad that he spoke fondly of the city

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 3:10 PM
Go Pens!

I didn't know Fitchner was from the area either...

He's one of my favorite actors too.

That's nice that that he spoke so highly of Buffalo.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 12:11 AM
welcome to the madness

The Aud has been sold to the ECHDA for a buck pending approval! Let the demo proceed!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 5:20 AM

^^amen!!!!!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Bolivar View Post
The Aud has been sold to the ECHDA for a buck pending approval! Let the demo proceed!
They are saying it won't start until 08 and then take 16 months to complete. It's good news but why do things take so long to demo around here.
Once the crap inside is cleaned up then just blow that bitch up.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2007, 2:01 AM

Zepto's puchase of 878 Main Street recorded today (purchased for $70k from the city). They'll be renovating the vacant mansion for office space.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 4:37 PM

From the Buffalo News
http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregio...ry/237024.html

WENDT FOUNDATION
$6.3 million loan to aid Genesee St. renovation

Updated: 12/26/07 6:42 AM

The Margaret L. Wendt Foundation is loaning $6.3 million for the renovation of a block of buildings on Genesee Street bordered by and Oak and Ellicott streets.

The project calls for the mixed-use redevelopment of a cluster of four Civil War-era brick buildings that have sat gutted for more than 20 years.

Genesee Gateway LLC, a consortium of development, construction and funding partners, has already received $1 million of the funds to acquire the properties. Cityview Construction Management, which converted the former Larkin Soap Co. warehouse into a modern office complex on Exchange Street, will be the project’s developer.

When is this project supposed to start? The spring I hope!

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 9:46 PM

Here's a rendering of the Genesee Block redevelopment. I hope this happens soon!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jas23/2139465066/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations