HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 9:47 PM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Hey I can't seem to open that file...is it a video? You have me very intriqued I wish I could see it.

I agree Harcourt was better than a lot of the old pack!!!

Old Posted May 31, 2007, 6:24 AM
Don't hold back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden West View Post
I wonder if he makes catamarans too?

Old Posted May 31, 2007, 8:55 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Grrr I can't open that file!

My friend David who lives in N. Carolina sent me a cool photo of some sea side character homes in Charleston. We have had some good talks regarding cities etc.

Anyways here is the photo he sent me. I think this is what the James Bay N. E. A. belief they want on the water front on Dallas Rd. However, they don't have it.

Old Posted May 31, 2007, 4:53 PM

^It's a .ram file (RealAudio).

======

Colwood councillor's resolution would remove height restrictions

Bill Cleverley,
Times Colonist

Published: Thursday, May 31, 2007

Colwood Coun. Gordie Logan hopes removing height restrictions in the city's core will break a council log-jam blocking some highrise development proposals.

Logan will bring forward a resolution in two weeks that would see the current six-storey limit removed from the existing Official Community Plan.

That would reduce the need to keep going through the OCP amendment process, Logan said.

If it passes, Logan's motion would open the door for developments such as Les Bjola's proposed $1-billion highrise remake of Colwood Corners that has been stalled one vote short of a council majority.

Logan notes that council recently has approved medium to highrise proposals ranging from eight to 29 storeys. The public has spoken in favour of building up as opposed to sprawling out, Logan said, referring especially to the public backing given the proposed 23-storey Silkwind condominium just approved for Wale Road.

Not all of the projects favoured by the majority of speakers at public hearings have cleared the approval process. Most notable is Bjola's vision to craft a city core, home to 2,800 people, for his 5.7-hectare site at Goldstream Avenue and Sooke Road.

Mayor Jody Twa and Coun. David Saunders have absented themselves from voting on this project because of potential conflict of interest.
Councillors Cynthia Day and Jason Nault don't want to see radical amendments to the OCP until a comprehensive review and rewrite of the document is completed. The other three council members support Bjola's proposal, but four votes are needed for an OCP amendment.

Logan, meanwhile, says his motion isn't just directed at Colwood Corners, but would encompass Colwood's entire core, because "I believe there's going to be more projects coming in, as well."

One question is whether Twa and Saunders would be eligible to vote on Logan's motion or would still be in potential conflict of interest. Twa said they probably are eligible. Colwood chief administrator Chris Pease said it's up to them to decide.

"They must follow what they feel is the right thing," Pease said.
Nault said he's not necessarily opposed to the projects coming forward, he just wants a comprehensive plan for the community before approving them "willy-nilly."

He said people keep talking about smart growth -- building up instead of out -- but with recently approved highrises and subdivisions such as Royal Bay and Olympic View, Colwood is doing both. "So we're sprawling out and going up, We're getting the worst of both worlds."

If Logan is going to propose removing height limits, Nault would want to see a referendum to see how many storeys residents would favour.

Logan said even if his motion passes, council would still be able to regulate the number of storeys through the zoning process. Bjola said he would be "absolutely thrilled" if Logan's motion passed.

© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2007

Old Posted May 31, 2007, 7:22 PM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

I read that in the paper today. Pretty exciting. I really hope this proposal goes through. Being an almost life time resident of Saanich I really don't want the West Shores municipalities to build the way mine did. Saanich is so far spread out with no identity and no core. Colwood has the oportunity to define itself, while significantly broadening their tax base, and increasing pocket densities. Hopefully by have these density hubs it will provide good future Lrt nodes. I also just really like the Colwood Corners proposal. I would like to see that kind of a proposal in Harris Green.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 5:22 AM

Scaper, the Dallas Road waterfront would compare well with or even surpass that stretch in Charleston...if only there were several fine Victorian houses on it.

But there aren't.

It seems the wealthy crowd of a century ago weren't too interested in Victoria's southern waterfront. The best we can hope for now are some fine modern houses, because they'll never let a new condo building be built there. If memory serves me, there are one or two new houses on Dallas Road that are quite appealing.

Anyway, did you see gumgum's pics of Shutters?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 5:51 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Aastra,

That's so funny, your comment about "but there aren't any"

Those are beautiful photos by the way, I love the first one especially. I really like that building. My mom, who is a realtor and who also holds to that cliche of "Victoria is a bit of Old England" thinks that Shutters over powers the songhees. I love those buildings. Also in Vic West, the Dock side development with the Parc and the two new office buildings (Coast Capital) is looking awesome. I want to get some good photos of that this weekend!!!

Aastra I had a good talk with Rene on the phone tonight, I am going to be in Vancouver around the end of the month in June. Ren and I are getting together. Maybe we could grab a lunch or the three of us hang out one night and have some fun in Van.

Cheers

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 6:53 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

I finally got some of my photos posted on Flickr.com

Here is the link to my photos. I just started to upload some of my photos. Unfortunately lots of my really cool photos are on other memory chips for my camera in time I will upload more. I also bought a new 8 gig mp3 player and have been downloading lots of music. It's good for the work out program!!!

Here's my Flickr link .....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55063726@N00/

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 11:01 PM
I'm cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K. View Post
Cool. Is this the project that's pulling you back this way?
Yes, higher pay, better benefits and more insentives. But I won't move back to Vancouver Island. I currently have an interview at VGH set for the 12th. I'm excited about that.

Anyway, I'm really liking Radius. It's very modern and sophisticated and will sit very well at the entrance to Victoria.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2007, 5:54 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Jarrod I am glad things are going well for you in Calgary!!! I also love Calgary too, it's a fun city!!!

Anyone go to the Oakbay Tea party???

I was trying to get Zoomer to go but for some reason he's scard of fairs!!! I am not sure if it's the clowns or the fact that he had someone rip off his glasses and stomped on him at his concert he went to Friday night!!! Sorry buddy but I am still kinda laughing at the story.

Well....Going out to take some photos tomorrow too Johnny and I are going out for a couple of hours anyways.

Have a fun weekend all!!!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2007, 5:59 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Check this guy out!!! Absolutely amazing!!!

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=594257&cache=1

Old Posted Jun 4, 2007, 4:40 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Wow.....

That was one of the longest photo treks I have ever takin'. Crazy...Anyways, I have a ton of photos to share with everyone soon...I don't know if I should make the post on the B.C. section or the Canadian Section....

Anyways I have to charge my battery, I used a full battery today!!!

Update..... Crazy I took over 200 photos today! Yikes....gonna take a while to edit through them I think!!!

Last edited by The Great Scaper; Jun 4, 2007 at 5:49 AM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2007, 6:20 AM

A few pics I took this weekend, first starting off on Saturday. I'll post more later, if I fall asleep soon!

I really prefer Astoria to Belvedere.

the two together:

Belvedere:

maybe I'll post some construction pics tomorrow. For larger size, visit my Flickr page

Last edited by zoomer; Jun 4, 2007 at 7:07 AM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2007, 6:58 AM

The Fix is an awesome new coffee shop. It's just like an authentic European coffee shop except without the dirty floor, bad food, and cigarette smoke.

I still get Belevedere and Astoria mixed up. They're like the Olsen twins. I know one's skinnier but that doesn't help me remember which is which.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2007, 7:29 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Zoomer, Fantastic photos buddy!!! Fun day today too.

Holden Astoria is the taller one in the middle, The Belvedere is the darker brown twin on the outside!!!

I am uploading my photos on flickr and it's taking bloody forever!!! Grrrr....

Oh well, If I don't have time tonight I will post a thread tomorrow in the B.C. section.

Cheers

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 7:28 PM
Everything will pass

Quote:
Who can explain the history of the purple glass blocks in Victoria's downtown sidewalks to me? I've always loved them, but never understood their purpose, if any, apart from decorative.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 7:37 PM

^ I'll take a shot at it since we've got them in Vancouver too, though Victoria's seem to be in much better shape. Many of the old Victorian and Edwardian warehouses had store rooms below grade that extended out beyond the floorplate of the building. The thick purple glass allowed some natural light to filter down into these workspaces and augment the need for gas and electrical lighting. The glass blocks was thick enough to support the weight of pedestrians and even early vehicles that may have rode up on the curb. In parts of Gastown and Chinatown the glass blocks were asphalted(!) over at some point and only recently, it seems, have the blocks been uncovered, and possibly even restored. Beyond this, I don't know anything further.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 7:43 PM
Everything will pass

THANKS! Fascinating. I'd love to see a shot from below looking up on a bright sunny day.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 8:29 PM

Everything you'd ever want to know about Victoria's Sidewalk Prisms. Including a view from below.

You'll be happy to know that several new construction projects are planning on installing new prisms outside their buildings, including The Hudson.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 8:32 PM
Everything will pass

To think I spent eight years walking over Victoria's prisms without a clue what they were for or that I was actually crossing over a basement room. Thanks, Holden. Great read.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia