HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 29, 2015, 12:48 AM
Proud Homer!

A newly-proposed $250-million waterfront project for St. Louis' upper north riverfront.

A lighthouse part of big project proposed for north city river site
December 25, 2015 12:15 am • By Tim Bryant
St. Louis Post-Dispatch

A developer is proposing a hotel, stores, restaurants, condos, a marina and even a lighthouse next to the Mississippi River at St. Louis’ northern tip.

The 84-acre site on Riverview Drive north of Interstate 270 is the former North Shore Golf Course. The Great Flood of 1993 submerged the course in as much as 20 feet of water. Floodwater returned two years later and did more damage. North Shore never reopened.

Where golfers formerly chased the little white ball, developer Adam Hartig is planning Lighthouse St. Louis, a multiphase project that could eventually cost $250 million.

Included in the planned first phase is a gas station, convenience store, boat ramp, visitors’ center, restaurants, an event center, a hotel and a lighthouse perhaps 60 feet tall.

The $55 million first phase also would have a bike trail connection to the Great Rivers Greenway’s Riverfront Trail that crosses the Mississippi over the Old Chain of Rocks Bridge.

Hartig said he hopes to begin construction next summer.

A later phase could include a marina, condos and a big-box retail store. Hartig said the entire project would be privately financed without public incentives or tax breaks.

All but about 11 acres of the site is in the city. The remainder, along Watkins Creek, is in St. Louis County. Hartig plans to leave that part of the site undeveloped.

Hartig, 30, leads Lighthouse Development LLC. He formerly worked in Columbia, Mo., for Maly Commercial Real Estate and The Kroenke Group. He said Rams owner Stan Kroenke has no role in Lighthouse St. Louis.

The development, with nearly a half-mile of riverfront, could be a hub for recreational activity, Hartig said. The site’s owner, Discovery Pier Landholdings LLC, spent years bringing in dirt to raise the property more than 10 feet and out of the 100-year flood plain.

Read More

Old Posted Dec 29, 2015, 6:01 AM
Proud Homer!

At 1200 feet long (366 meters), BJC's new The Link extension, at Washington University Medical Center is now under construction.

Once finished, the entire link system at the medical center is going to be the longest pedestrian skywalk in Missouri. FYI: The Link at Crown Center in Kansas City is 880 feet long (269 meters).

The BJC Link is going to connect multiple garages, including the new 3,000-car garage - now under construction- and BJC buildings including the new 12-story Mid-Campus Center, which is now under construction.

Video Link

A new 3,000-car garage is under construction at Washington University Medical Center. The BJC Link skywalk will connect to it.

Last edited by Arch City; Dec 29, 2015 at 6:11 AM.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 4:41 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

i like the idea of the marina, but isnt that piece of land under water right now?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 7:44 PM
Proud Homer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
isnt that piece of land under water right now?
I don't know, but there are highways, homes and businesses that are pretty well inland that are flooded.

The metro area is surrounded by four major rivers. When there's a deluge of rain like the region has seen there's bound to be these epic flooding events for many parts of the region.

Hurricanes, oil spills, red tide and Sargassum events happen on the coasts, but development and ordinary life still happens on the coastal waters.

As usual, the region will recover and it will build new levees and rebuild any breached levees to help mitigate the worst of such events.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 7:58 PM
Proud Homer!

By the way, I would prefer for that bottomland to stay a habitat for wild animals and migrating birds that take up residence on the Mississippi during changing seasons like the Trumpeter Swans and pelicans.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2016, 10:10 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

So I wandered across this little New Formalist beaut on Washington Ave.:

https://goo.gl/maps/vxgBuiMrniH2

It says "For Sale or Lease" in the window. Are their any plans for it? New Formalism is a super-underrated architectural style (mainly because it's so esoteric) but it's perhaps the best of the styles that came out of the Modernist era.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jan 1, 2016, 4:04 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
i like the idea of the marina, but isnt that piece of land under water right now?
Ideas like this development heralded as good ideas remind me of how primitive man still is.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 6:37 PM
Proud Homer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
So I wandered across this little New Formalist beaut on Washington Ave.:

https://goo.gl/maps/vxgBuiMrniH2

It says "For Sale or Lease" in the window. Are their any plans for it? New Formalism is a super-underrated architectural style (mainly because it's so esoteric) but it's perhaps the best of the styles that came out of the Modernist era.
Don't know if there are plans for it or not. Hopefully an IT firm or start-ups move into it.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 6:59 PM
Proud Homer!

Another renovation has been completed in the Central Corridor.

This nearly-demolished, former residential mansion-turned office building now has been converted into the Lindell Place apartments.

The 12-unit building is near St. Louis University, Harris-Stowe State University, Grand Center and the exploding Washington University Medical Center.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 9:50 PM
Proud Homer!

One of Washington University's newer research lab buildings, Scott McKinley, is now open on the WUMC campus.

Source: Clayco

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 9:44 PM

More big central corridor development news: Lawrence Group has purchased the Federal Mogul site in Midtown. This was once planned as a big box retail strip mall. An adjacent smaller parcel has been purchased by Cortex - the neighboring innovation district - for future development. Good news all around:

Lawrence Group Plans $100M Mixed-use Development at Long Vacant Midtown Site

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 11:18 PM
Proud Homer!

^This is going to be a great project.

With the new $500-million hospital and office coming at St. Louis University's Medical Center, the addition/renovations in Grand Center and continued construction in the CWE/WUMC, the Central Corridor is on fire.

Let's just hope the Federal-Mogul site gets moving sooner than later.

I think this one could take some time to develop because it may require applying for Brownfields money.

I like this plan for the site versus the old plan even though I thought CORTEX was going to purchase the whole site.

Adding 250-units is a good start, but I just hope they consider more residential - and mid-rise or high-rise development.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 11:29 PM
Proud Homer!

A new in-fill mixed-income project is coming to North Central St. Louis.

Developed by McCormack-Baron-Salazar, North Sarah Phase III is about to get underway.

-A $10-million phase, mixed-income apartment community
-77 total units (18 - 1 Bedroom, 42 - 2 Bedrooms, 16 - 3 Bedrooms)
-Affordable Units: 46

This development is to be built in North St. Louis near the Central West End.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 11:55 PM
Show me the blueprints

Is it just me or does it seem like so many of these neo-trad new urbanist projects feel like they're designed and built at 4/5 scale?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 2:41 PM

Real skyscraper news for the skyscraper page. The "other" Louis Sullivan building in St. Louis is about to get a remake as a Marriott boutique hotel. The building sits between two other significant buildings in downtown St. Louis. This is a huge step forward!

Story and more photos:
Adler & Sullivan 705 Olive Building to Become Boutique Marriott Hotel

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 9:00 PM

^^^^That's great news. Would love to see the last couple big buildings left downtown rehabbed soon. Starting with its neighbor, the chemical building.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 1:10 AM
new day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Is it just me or does it seem like so many of these neo-trad new urbanist projects feel like they're designed and built at 4/5 scale?
I can see your point from the rendering, but after checking out phase I and II, I can say that this is a solid development and feels right from the street.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 3:50 AM

$100M Remake of Union Station Moves Ahead, 200ft Ferris Wheel Included

According to the Post-Dispatch, the next redevelopment of St. Louis’s historic Union Station is set to break ground next month. Planned are more hotel rooms and more entertainment, including light shows, a fire show, and a 3D experience.

Past plans for a roller coaster are no more, but the 200-foot Ferris Wheel is still planned, and the historic train shed will see a full restoration. The total project is expected to be near $100M.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 4:21 AM
Show me the blueprints

And you one of these days it will be an actual train station again too, but clearly not for a while.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 6:18 PM
Proud Homer!

Life goes on St. Louis. A Plan B was in place for the proposed NFL stadium site just in case the Rams and NFL bolted. And here it goes.

With some tweaking and twerking, the site is practically shovel ready.

This is in addition to the $400-million project currently underway on the riverfront and Archgrounds.

These are concept renderings.

With Stadium

Without Stadium

Last edited by Arch City; Jan 15, 2016 at 3:01 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations