HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Abraj Al Bait in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Mecca Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 8:22 PM
Imster

Lightbulb You can if....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
I like the clock tower, as well as the tents on top of the smaller towers, but overall I think this building is an abomination. I'll admit, though, that I'd like to see it in person because of it's combination of height and mass. Oh wait, that's right, I'm not allowed to see it in person

You can see it in person if you became a Muslim. I would really like to see the whole developent surrounding the building nearing completion and a few more towers as Mecca really needs stunning buildings. I hope they can get the best designers around the world and take inspiration from buildings built and being built to really build some awesome structures. Saudi already has one of the best looking skyscrapers in the world

My favourites are
Burj Khalifahangahi
Shanghai World Financial Centre
International commerce centre
Bahrain WTC
The Shard (UC)
WTC one (UC)

We are going to see some amazing structures in the next 20+ years!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 9:48 PM
BANNED

oh my god i didn't even see the side view until now...

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Imster View Post
You can see it in person if you became a Muslim.
I'm aware of that, hence my comment. I think I'll pass.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 2:40 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
Just fake it, thats what I would do if I ever go there. How in the world would they know if you were or werent?

On another note, this tower imo is so freakin gaudy and tacky. And I cant stand, even though Im not a Muslim, how much freaking history they are utterly destroying in Mecca with this tower and everything else they are doing to the historic core of the city. Saudi Arabia and Islam in general doesnt respect historic things. I think I remember reading that to preserve history would somehow be making it an idol or some crap. What a shame, oh well.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
^
Just fake it, thats what I would do if I ever go there. How in the world would they know if you were or werent?

On another note, this tower imo is so freakin gaudy and tacky. And I cant stand, even though Im not a Muslim, how much freaking history they are utterly destroying in Mecca with this tower and everything else they are doing to the historic core of the city. Saudi Arabia and Islam in general doesnt respect historic things. I think I remember reading that to preserve history would somehow be making it an idol or some crap. What a shame, oh well.
Not something I'd like to risk.

I agree, I think the tower (and it's already failed attempt to change mean time from Greenwich to Mecca) is a sign of arrogance that is not well earned.

I'm not sure about the Islamic world's respect for it's own historic sites, but I'm quite aware of their attitude toward historic sites of other religions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhas....2C_March_2001

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 3:18 AM
Hala Wal'la

Quote:
Saudi Arabia and Islam in general doesnt respect historic things. I think I remember reading that to preserve history would somehow be making it an idol or some crap. What a shame, oh well.
I am sure many muslims would agree that the Saudi government on many occasions has proven to show little "care" towards historic sites. I just do not see how this is related to Islam. Also, i am aware the internet is the best place for trolls to dump all their bull and try and pass it as fact, but seriously come on , have some self respect and put a little effort into research.Stop embarassing yourself. You think you remember ? No where in islam does it say "destroy" historic sites.

Yum

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 10:32 AM
Imster

Exclamation Islamic heritage sites

Quote:
^

I think you are missing the point here - Islam forbids idolatry of any form - you will be surprised that quite a few Muslims unfortunately fall into this trap despite attesting to strict monotheism. Some buildings or sites attract people to such practice as they don’t fully understand their religion. Non-Muslims may find this strange but it is important to understand the religion and cultural significance of this.
I do however see your point in that the Saudi authorities need to balance Islamic heritage sites that do not symbolise any form of idolatry and ensure that they blend 21st architecture with preserved history from the past.
I personally love to see the best designed buildings in the world in Mecca & Medina - not only to serve the purpose of the pilgrims who visit the sites but enhance the beauty of these two holiest cities to the rest of the world. With the number of pilgrims attending Mecca and Medina increasing year by year - this would be a fantastic opportunity for the Saudi authorities to really get the best architects to design the best buildings that complement the surrounding buildings and religious significance of the place.
I see some peoples arguments of the clock tower being out of place - it could have been better I must admit it, however I do think that the Clock tower will grow on people over time as the WTC did in the 1970’s.

Time will tell!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 1:55 PM

from SSC & http://www.kapl.org.sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roukaya19 View Post

King Abdulaziz Public Library present

The Hajj

New website : kapl-hajj.org

Hajj: Journey to the Heart of Islam

The Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, His Majesty King Abdullah Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud has given directives to commence a major expansion of Al-Haram Mosque.

With this in mind, The King Abdulaziz Public Library, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia has launched an initiative to inform and update the global community of this ground breaking expansion project. As part of this initiative The King Abdul Aziz Public Library has partnered with the British Museum, London UK, to launch the “Hajj Exhibition – Journey to the heart of Islam”

The new kapl-hajj.org website www.kapl-hajj.org is a wider part of this initiative to provide information, news and updates as well as feedback from the global community on their personal experiences.

This website endeavours to provide a rich resource of text and media not only of the current work taking place but also of both historic and future plans of the Hajj expansion program, to provide pilgrims with a peaceful and safe spiritual journey to the heart of their Islam, the Hajj.

Very interesting website with beautiful pictures!

The Makkah al-Mukarramah Clock Tower

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 12:54 PM

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 6:36 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Great shot, yousef! It looks like there are still cranes on the back side. Are they still finishing up exterior work?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 7:31 PM
SMH 304

Talking

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 2:18 AM

Nothing says 'religious pilgrimage' like praying within a sea of skyscrapers and neon lights...might as well put a mat down in central park.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWestisDead View Post
Nothing says 'religious pilgrimage' like praying within a sea of skyscrapers and neon lights...might as well put a mat down in central park.
And what about the pilgrims 500 years ago trekking to Chartres Cathedral, or Notre Dame, or the Milan Duomo?

Medieval cathedrals were hardly exercises in humility, solemnity and deference to a creator. They were and still are among the most ostentatious, over-the-top, even garish paeans to any god. Certainly not humble. And the benevolent Catholic Church built these extraordinarily expensive houses of worship to tower above the hovels and shanties and straw huts of the poorest, most destitute serfs in Europe.

We love those buildings and loathe this one, and yet there is no reasonable argument I've heard for how this is any different.

Flickr Blog Site

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 6:20 AM

Fantastic! I was wondering what the other development project was across the way?

Thanks

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boquillas View Post
And what about the pilgrims 500 years ago trekking to Chartres Cathedral, or Notre Dame, or the Milan Duomo?

Medieval cathedrals were hardly exercises in humility, solemnity and deference to a creator. They were and still are among the most ostentatious, over-the-top, even garish paeans to any god. Certainly not humble. And the benevolent Catholic Church built these extraordinarily expensive houses of worship to tower above the hovels and shanties and straw huts of the poorest, most destitute serfs in Europe.

We love those buildings and loathe this one, and yet there is no reasonable argument I've heard for how this is any different.
We loathe it because, to us, it looks hideous. There's not much new here. Building big buildings to attract attention and display wealth is not new. Nor is this the first time someone has tried to create a mean time (in this case, a new mean time) in the name of supposed cultural-superiority.

Those Cathedrals you spoke of revolutionized architecture and created new styles. To me, this building signifies a very tacky "new gold" sense of unearned arrogance.

I get your point about Cathedrals being over-the-top and possibly even wasteful for their time, but do you really think the Al-Baijwhatever will stand the test of time like this beauty has?: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laon_Cathedral

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 5:57 AM
Ach, du.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boquillas View Post

Amen.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 4:31 PM

I still can't really comprehend just how large this building is. It makes the nearby 20 story hotels look like mobile homes.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 5:16 PM
Only Mostly Dead

In that aerial, the scale is just so overwhelming to everything around it. But the detailing on the clock face and crown is incredibly stunning. It's a shame the best part of the building (IMO) is so far off the ground. It would be great if visitors could somehow get a close-up look at that part of it. I'm curious if the detailing throughout both the exterior and interior is as good as the top of the building.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
In that aerial, the scale is just so overwhelming to everything around it. But the detailing on the clock face and crown is incredibly stunning. It's a shame the best part of the building (IMO) is so far off the ground. It would be great if visitors could somehow get a close-up look at that part of it. I'm curious if the detailing throughout both the exterior and interior is as good as the top of the building.
u can see the details from down below .... i went there and it looks better in person and different ... its one of the things that you have to see it your self..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roukaya19 View Post
Abraj al Bait

Raffles Makkah Hotel

Design by Areen Hospitality

Raffles Makkah Hotel Reception

Raffles Makkah Hotel Library

Raffles Makkah Executive Lounge

Raffles Makkah Business Centre

Raffles Makkah Restaurant

Raffles Makkah

Raffles Makkah Reception

Raffles Makkah - Room

http://www.flickr.com/photos/areende...7629442053696/

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 4:25 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfArabia View Post
u can see the details from down below .... i went there and it looks better in person and different ... its one of the things that you have to see it your self..
That's good to hear, and speaks to how massive that clock must be in person! Thanks for posting all those interiors as well. It looks fantastic.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive