HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
REMINDER

Jan 24-Feb 2

http://www.iceonwhyte.ca
This must be what I saw driving to Saskatchewan Drive last night. Looking really cool and lots of people there. I'll check it out this weekend!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 2:46 PM
Community Guy

Busting Some Myths

Winter in Edmonton is Better than You Might Think!
Myth: We Live in a deep freeze for 6 months of the year.
Reality:

Edmonton has on average:

4.2 days in the year when it is colder than -30C.
The average temperature in January, our coldest month of the year is -11.7C.

Source: Environment Canada

Myth: Winter is a dull and boring time in Edmonton.
Reality:

One third of Edmonton’s public celebrations take place during winter months. Last year these events attracted more than 100,000 people.

In winter you can, among other things:

Take in one of our many winter festivals
Take in the Lunar New Year Firecrackers Parade
Enter a deep freezer race
Skate and toboggan
Rent a segway and go for a ride in the river valley
Celebrate at outdoor winter parties
Cross country ski on our city’s 50 km of groomed trails
Hit the slope at one of our four downhill ski hills
Myth: You should always take wind chill into account when you dress for going outside in winter.
Reality:

If we design our city spaces to block wind and capture the sunlight (as recommended in Edmonton’s WinterCity Strategy), we won’t have to worry so much about wind chill.

Myth: Edmonton’s Festival Season happens in the summer months.
Reality:

As Canada’s Festival City, Edmonton boasts vibrant, exciting festivals year round.

Our winter festival season includes:

Deep Freeze
Ice on Whyte
The City of Light/ La Cité en Lumières and Flying Canoe Adventure Walk
Canadian Birkebeiner Ski Festival
Lunar New Year Extravaganza
Silver Skate Festival
Global Visions Film Festival
Expanse Movement Arts Festival
Myth: Bad winter weather forces our airport to close often.
Reality:

Winter has the potential to become one of Edmonton’s biggest assets: providing a quality of life and competitive advantage for Edmonton.

The winter season is a novelty for the majority of people in the world: we could offer tourists ‘exotic’ cold weather experiences like ice bars and hotels, ice canoe races, winter weddings or snow camping.
The winter season offers businesses here the opportunity to excel in certain areas, such as cold weather construction, or winter fashion design.
Myth: Going outside in winter puts you at risk of getting sick.
Reality:

You’re more likely to become ill if you stay inside most of the time.

Myth: Edmonton is ugly in the winter.
Reality:

Look around!! Winter provides a gorgeous backdrop in many parts of our city: the river valley, the Alberta Legislature, the Muttart Conservatory, and in every park and most back yards. It’s not difficult to look around and find beauty during the winter months.

Myth: It is a given that outdoor street life will disappear in winter.
Reality:

We have outdoor patios at some businesses year round in Edmonton, with more opening every year. If designed properly - to capture the sun and protect people from the wind – sitting at an outdoor patio on a sunny winter day is one of life’s great experiences.

Myth: Ideally we should create summer-like sidewalk conditions after every snowfall.
Reality:

There’s no question sidewalks must always be safe to walk on, especially for those who have mobility challenges. But clearing all public walking surfaces down to the pavement isn’t always necessary. A thin layer of smoothed snow can be easier to navigate and allow for new forms of active winter transportation (kick-sledding or skiing). And piles of clean snow in public spaces, provide great play opportunities for children of all ages.

For more information:
Susan Holdsworth

Title WinterCity Strategy Project Manager
Telephone
780-496-3664

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...ome-myths.aspx

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 3:59 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 9:36 PM
Community Guy

Latitude's Park Patio Party photos are up.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 10:21 PM

Sorry we missed it this year. Had some good parkas to wear. that and the missus could not stand for that long. We will be back next year.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 8:35 PM
Community Guy

(http://static.squarespace.com/static...6/?format=500w)

January 28 - 30, 2015
Shaw Conference Centre
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Call for Field Trips and Presentations

We are excited to announce the Call for Field Trips and Presentations!

Call for Field Trips:
We invite local groups to submit ideas for Field Trips for delegates!

Deadline is May 9, 2014!

Call for Presentations:
We want to hear about your new research and best practices, creative projects and initiatives, and bold ideas that will shake-up the way we've traditionally done things in a winter city. How are you using winter as an asset?

Deadline is September 8, 2014!

Further details are online at www.wintercitiesconference.com

Contact Us

Email: Winter@buksa.com
Phone: 780-436-0983 ext. 223

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 10:40 PM
Community Guy

The WinterCity Office is proud to announce that The City of Edmonton is the
recipient of a national urban planning award. The Canadian Institute of
Planners (CIP) has awarded an *Award for Planning Excellence – Merit Award *in
the category of *City and Regional Planning *for the WinterCity Strategy
and Implementation Plan.

The Award for Planning Excellence recognizes projects for “their
excellence, innovation, impact on the profession, implementation potential,
and overall presentation”.

We would like to thank the very hard-working volunteer members of the
WinterCity Advisory Council and the four Working Groups, our partners, and
all of our winter champions. Together we are a building a great winter city.

The award will be presented at the CIP 2014 Conference in Fredericton, NS,
July 9 – 12, 2014. Simon O’Byrne, co-chair of the WinterCity Advisory
Council, will be in Fredericton to receive the award on our behalf. More
information about the award can be found here:
http://www.cip-icu.ca/web/la/en/pa/C...C/template.asp

Cheers,

The WinterCity Team.

--

*Isla Tanaka*
WinterCity Office
Community Initiatives
City of Edmonton
Facebook: www.facebook.com/WinterCityEdmonton
Twitter: https://twitter.com/wintercityyeg or follow @WinterCityYEG

Old Posted Jun 29, 2014, 10:15 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 3:39 PM
Community Guy

Edmonton’s WinterCity Strategy Earns National Award for Innovation and Leadership

July 16, 2014

The City of Edmonton has won an award for its leadership in planning excellence, innovation, and implementation potential. The award, presented by the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP), honours Edmonton’s WinterCity Strategy in the category of City and Regional Planning.

“It is an honour for the City of Edmonton to be recognized for its leadership and for thinking differently,” said Councillor Ben Henderson. “The WinterCity Strategy is about working together as a community to embrace winter, to take advantage of the assets of the season that make us special as a city, and to take our place as a world-leading city.”

The CIP works on behalf of 7,500 planning professionals nationwide. The award was presented at the 2014 annual conference of the CIP and the Atlantic Planners Institute (API) in Fredericton.

In 2011, the City of Edmonton began developing the WinterCity Strategy, a unique concept that sets out to transform Edmonton into a great winter city. This initiative embraces winter as part of our northern identity and supports innovative urban design to address the opportunities that all four seasons provide. Edmonton's WinterCity Strategy is a community-led project that is co-chaired by Councillor Ben Henderson and Simon O'Byrne, Vice-President of Planning at Stantec.

This award helps build momentum for the 2015 Winter Cities Shake-up Conference, being held in Edmonton in January 2015. Urban planners and designers, municipal leaders, community organizers and entrepreneurs from around the world will be gathering in Edmonton to share best practices and brainstorm new approaches to help winter cities be more livable, attractive and exciting.

http://edmonton.ca/city_government/n...nal-award.aspx

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 8:06 PM
Community Guy

Updated website, schedule, programming.

Get the word around!

http://www.wintercitiesconference.com

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 2:41 PM
Community Guy

Dear all,

This coming January, Edmonton will take its place on the world stage of winter cities as host of the Winter Cities Shake-Up - an international conference on making winter way cooler!

The Winter Cities Shake-Up (www.wintercitiesconference.com) is an international conference on all the ways we can improve the quality of life in winter cities. It’s an opportunity to share best practices, think outside the box, and network with delegates and speakers from winter cities around the world. The conference will take place January 28 – 30, 2015. It’s also a great occasion to showcase Edmonton’s leading edge winter initiatives: from cold-climate construction to urban planning, and from internationally recognized winter festivals to our city’s award winning WinterCity Strategy.

We hope you and your organization will help us in getting the word out, by inviting those that you believe would be interested to join us as delegates! There’s more information below, and also at www.wintercitiesconference.com. As well, please feel free to contact winter@buksa.com for further promotional materials, or with any questions that you might have.

Regards,

What is the Winter Cities Shake-Up?
Winter Cities Shake-Up 2015 is a conference for people who live in winter cities and want to improve their communities’ quality of life year-round, but especially in the winter. For three days in January 2015, international experts in many areas, including designers, artists, and civic leaders, will gather in Edmonton, Canada to present findings and share experiences in one of three areas:
T Winter Fun - there are lots of outdoor activities that can bring in all types of people - even those who think they'd rather hibernate in winter. Find out how to program inviting, accessible activities and try some of them out yourself.
T Winter Design - explore how we can plan and design our cities so that streets and public places are warmer, more fun and easier to get around in during winter months.
T Winter Business - from companies that are finding great economic value in locating to a winter city, to how people are marketing the cold season as one of their community's greatest assets, discover how winter economies can hold great untapped potential for urban centres.

When and Where is the Winter Cities Shake-Up?
January 28-30, 2015 in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada at the Shaw Conference Centre

Who Should Attend the Winter Cities Shake-Up?
Anyone interested in winter urban life. Urban planners and designers, community members, architects, artists, entrepreneurs, government, business people, academics; this is an interdisciplinary conference that takes a holistic approach to all the great things winter has to offer. We've invited more than 400 guests from many different countries, and have speakers coming from Finland, Denmark, Japan, the United States and Canada. If you live in Edmonton and want to take in just some of the conference, you can register for one or two days only.
To register for the conference, go to: http://www.wintercitiesconference.co...-accomodation/.

For more information on the following components, please visit the corresponding links:
T Edmonton’s WinterCity Strategy: http://www.wintercitiesconference.com/about/
T Program: http://www.wintercitiesconference.com/program/
T Registration & Accommodation: http://www.wintercitiesconference.com/registration- accomodation/
T Sponsorship Opportunities: http://www.wintercitiesconference.com/sponsors/

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 4:04 PM
Community Guy

Winter City Shake Up Conference Jan 28-30, 2015

We have also extended the deadline for the winter photo submissions to January 15, 2015. Please continue to send us your best winter photos.

Thank you,

send to, they will be credited

jessica.lui@edmonton.ca

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 10:13 PM

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 2:28 AM

Massive ‘impromptu’ snowball fight to happen in Edmonton
http://globalnews.ca/news/1662305/ma...190d696536ddee

Quote:
The Make Something Edmonton project is called #yegsnowfight. How it works is people who want to participate in the fight submit their phone numbers to the organizers. Then, when the timing is right and the weather conditions are perfect, organizers send out a text message with the location and time. The announcement will also be made on Twitter, using #yegsnowfight.

More than 100 people have already signed up for the text message announcement.
Quote:
If you want to be alerted when the snowball fight happens, email your phone number to yegsnowfight@gmail.com. Also keep an eye on #yegsnowfight on Twitter.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 6:43 PM

It's official! The final stage of Red Bull Crashed Ice will be held in Edmonton March 12-14, 2015!

http://www.redbullcrashedice.com/en_CA

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 6:49 PM
DRINK

So very awesome.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 6:52 PM

"The season finale stop is consistently renowned as the most iconic of the circuit, and Edmonton's will feature the longest track of the entire season. It will start within the city centre and will make its way down to the North Saskatchewan River Valley. "

http://www.marketwired.com/press-rel...15-1967239.htm

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 7:30 PM

Awesome, too bad I am in PHX at that time, would love to go down and watch.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 8:53 PM
Derp

Can't wait to see the track layout, this is going to be huge

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 8:53 PM
Community Guy

Fantastic to see it finally coming to Edmonton, let's hope for a ton of associated events pre/post.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton