HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 8:20 AM

One of the simplest ways of "making Vancouver sustainable, livable, affordable" is to have the VPD start doing their jobs. The laws that they are mandated to enforce are not to be "picked and chosen". What happened to having constables on patrol? I'm very glad to see these fine officers at Starbucks in Yaletown, but it might also be to have them walking the beat in other more sensitive areas of the city.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 12:46 PM
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
I for one hope the city decline's this proposal.

I have lived in wood built condo's and have had nothing but headaches with them. As the buildings age, they tend to creek and slant. They are prone to excessive noise from neighbors as well as those living above and below you. Not to mention the fire hazard risk they pose: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mv5qg2-MLs

They city would be extremely naive and foolish to pass this amendment.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed Kandi View Post
They city would be extremely naive and foolish to pass this amendment.
But with a naive nutbar like Gregor in control, expect foolishness.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 7:09 AM

"Living above the store" | Vancouver leads Canada's urban mixed-use charge

Property Report
Living above the store

FRANCES BULA

VANCOUVER — Special to The Globe and Mail Published on Tuesday, Nov. 10, 2009 12:00AM EST Last updated on Thursday, Nov. 12, 2009 3:01AM EST

Paul Buck has spectacular views of downtown Vancouver from the two glass walls of his condo, which wow everyone who walks in.

But what really impressed one of Mr. Buck's friends, in from a town near the Yukon border, is that he lives over a giant Home Depot.

"He was visiting from Dease Lake and he was beside himself that I was living right next to a hardware store," says Mr. Buck, the CFO at a biotechnology company that is a convenient two blocks from his condo.

Mr. Buck also lives over a major grocery store, a Winners, a sushi restaurant, a cellphone shop, and a Starbucks, in a complex that has broken new barriers when it comes to an increasingly popular development trend: the mixed-used project.

The Rise is attracting attention and even awards from across North America for its combination of big-box stores on the bottom, with condos and townhouses clustered around an enclosed garden on the top.

But while the combination of uses is unusual, the underlying concept is not.

Cities are aiming to maximize their land use and build greener and denser. At the same time, certain developers have discovered the joy of multiple revenue streams as a niche market of tenants and buyers are drawn to hybrid life. Mixed-use projects have become not only more prevalent but are incorporating wider ranges of uses with each passing year.

In Vancouver, the Shaw Tower has divided a tower on the waterfront edge of the central business district with Triple A office space on the bottom and high-end condos on top. The city's Woodward's project near the Downtown Eastside combines condos, social housing, space for non-profits and city offices, a grocery store, a drugstore and Simon Fraser University's School for the Contemporary Arts, with its multitude of performance spaces.

On Georgia Street, the Shangri-La incorporates a hotel, restaurant, spa, sculpture gallery and condos. Near GM Place, Concord Pacific has four residential towers over a Costco outlet.

In Toronto, the Distillery District east of downtown has mixed 1,500 units of condos with art galleries, offices, restaurants, a theatre and space for non-profit operations. For the World on Yonge, currently being planned in Markham to the north, the drawing board at Liberty Development includes four residential towers, a large shopping complex with an interior plaza, and an office building. In Yorkville, Quadrangle Architects created a complex at 155 Cumberland that combines high-end retail, offices and expensive apartments.

Fans of mixed-use developments say this is a case of cities returning to the way they used to be.

"Zoning was very much a post-war phenomenon when there was a move to separate different uses," says architect Les Klein, whose firm, Quadrangle, is also working on mixed-use projects in Ontario's Kitchener and Niagara-on-the-Lake. "What we're really trying to do is return to a mixed-use society, which also makes cities more green. It's planning catching up with reality."

But even enthusiasts such as Mr. Klein say that challenges come with building mixed-use projects. Often developers dive into them when they know how to do only one part well - the offices, the condos or the retail - but they add on the others, thinking they'll be easy gravy. It turns out they aren't.

Some uses just don't work together, with restaurants being especially problematic because of their smells, waste and noise issues.

Or developers don't think about timing problems and they end up with different groups of users clashing as one tries to leave while the other is arriving.

What does work best is when developers create multiple uses that appeal to a similar demographic.

Both Matthew Rosenblatt at Cityscape Developments, which is part owner of the Distillery District, and Marco Filice at Liberty say they aim to create complexes where each part - shopping, office or residential - draws people from the same general niche.

"We market to the same demographic generally," Mr. Rosenblatt said. So the offices, condos and shops at the Distillery District work together to attract people who like an urban, arty environment.

"We wouldn't entertain the idea of having a nightclub there with 18-year-olds lining up," says his partner, David Jackson.

Mr. Filice said his company aims to create a critical mass of residents who are interested in the kind of retail or office services integrated in the complex. For that reason, he structures his projects so that two-thirds of the space goes to residential, one-third to retail and office.

"It's basically a life-cycle approach - we have a captive audience for them." It's not that different, he thinks, from the area he grew up in near St. Clair and Bathurst, where people lived over shops on the ground floor and doctors' offices on the second floor.

In spite of that, many Torontonians, such as Mr. Klein and Mr. Jackson, are skeptical about Vancouver's radical experiments in putting people on top of giant stores.

"The jury is very much out on the idea of residential on top of big box, like we're seeing in Vancouver," Mr. Klein says.

But Vancouver's planning director, Brent Toderian, said he believes the Rise is a wonderful new example of mixed use. It's one that the city went out of its way to encourage.

The developers of the Rise say it's proven to be a good experiment for their company. "We had to take a bit of a leap of faith," says James Patillo, senior vice-president of Grosvenor Americas.

It wasn't the easiest project. The banks don't always understand mixed-use projects, he acknowledged. And the designers had to come up with an internal loading system for the building underground, so that residents wouldn't be annoyed by constant deliveries or garbage pickup.

Now, he says, they're achieving good rents - about $2.25 a square foot, comparable with anything in the area - and they have very low turnover.

"Some might say they don't like the retail below, but I think the acceptance grows and grows," Mr. Patillo said. "We've made a strategic shift to retail and residential. We think it's here to stay."

Mr. Buck agrees. He doesn't care about the retail below except that it's handy for him. He shops at all of the stores in his building. What matters most is that he lives across the street from his work, he's a block from the subway line to the airport, and it's a cool space.

Living over the store isn't so bad.

THE CHALLENGES OF MIXED USE

Some projects work better with separation

"There is a sense among condo owners that there are strangers in their territory if they aren't separated from the offices users," says Les Klein, Quadrangle Architects.

Some projects work better without much separation

"When you separate your users too much, you lose the opportunity for the synergies. Residents want to be in the mix they bought into," says David Jackson, Cityscape Developments.

Some combinations just don't work no matter what

"Most pure office-type tenants would not want to be in a building with cooking smells, a lot of traffic or after-hours groups," says Rob Armstrong, managing director, Avison Young Toronto.

They're not for every developer

"You don't see a lot of mixed-use projects because most companies are capitalized to do their single-purpose specialty," says Matthew Rosenblatt, Cityscape Developments.

You might need a partner

"Most developers specialize in one area and then they add the other component. But you can end up with something - retail or office or condos - that feels like it's left over if you don't work with a partner who knows that area," says Mr. Klein.

Source

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 5:26 PM
Vancouver User

Laneway Housing Becoming a Reality

This is very cool from Square Space...

LaneFab.com/

Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 5:35 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Latest from the COV on it's green plans. Pretty big goals, let's see how implementation goes. I'm too tired to take out the details so I'm just going to link to the documents.

http://vancouver.ca/ctyclerk/cclerk/...ents/penv3.pdf

http://vancouver.ca/ctyclerk/cclerk/...ents/penv4.pdf

Last edited by jlousa; Sep 9, 2010 at 1:28 AM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 3:49 AM
Transit User

The Feds saving Cities from themselves

Port authority is buying industrial land to preseve it from the condo developers. Nice move.

http://tinyurl.com/yfajse2

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 3:24 PM

^ I read that the other day it's what needs to be done for sure.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2010, 1:14 AM
supersonic

I love Vancouver!
--Ronnie

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 5:37 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

As per the laneway implementation policy, staff have reviewed laneway housing after receiving 100 applications. Here are some of the more interesting tidbits.
They are already up to 173 applications but the report is focused on the first 100 which makes the numbers easy to work with.

100 applications after 9 months (~11/month)
39 on pre-existing houses
61 on new construction
During the same time the city processed 506 applications, so one in 8 new sfh are having laneway houses built.
The distribution of laneway houses is fairly even between the east and west side.
Costs are higher then anticipated, at $180K on an pre-existing house, and about $125K on new construction. Much cheaper due to cost savings of doing both at the same time.

Anyways the city seems fairly happy and there will only be a few small tweaks and they will report back at a later day as things progress.

http://vancouver.ca/ctyclerk/cclerk/...ion-Report.pdf

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 7:42 AM

Thats not bad, almost 200 in the first year. These laneway houses probably add like 1.5 or so people (my ruff guess) each. At this pace they should have 200 in 12 months and that could be 300 extra people in singlefamily neighborhoods in one year on top of everything else. Thats pretty impressive imo.

My only question is who the hell would pay $180grand on a laneway house on a existing building unless money is not a issue for them(likely west side residents). I mean if you just want it as guest housing then its a great idea but at that price it would never pay for itself if you rented it out.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 2:20 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I agree the costs seem much more then they could be. If you crunch the numbers it still makes sense for as many people as possible to build. Even at 180K you'd be looking at a monthly mortgage payment of ~$900 with zero down and a standard 25yr term at current rates. Rental rates for lwhs are between $1200-2100/month so they are all cashflow positive from day one.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
Thats not bad, almost 200 in the first year. These laneway houses probably add like 1.5 or so people (my ruff guess) each. At this pace they should have 200 in 12 months and that could be 300 extra people in singlefamily neighborhoods in one year on top of everything else. Thats pretty impressive imo.

My only question is who the hell would pay $180grand on a laneway house on a existing building unless money is not a issue for them(likely west side residents). I mean if you just want it as guest housing then its a great idea but at that price it would never pay for itself if you rented it out.
I saw on TV about a kid - well in his 30's who was building a laneway house at his parents property in east van - cause it was the only way he could ever afford to get into the real estate market - i have to imagine there are a number of people doing the same as him - making homes for their kids

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 2:16 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I know these numbers will probably be met with skepticism by some but it's important that they are out there.

Quote:
BC Hydro reports that the city-wide tally of unoccupied condo units in December 2010, measured by electricity use of 75 kilowatt hours a month or less, came in at 2.4% of low-rise units and 3.9% of high-rise apartments.
Source this weeks BIV

These rates should prove that there isn't the amount of empty condos out there that some assume, these numbers shown still account for vacant units for relocation and vacations so the real number is even smaller.

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 2:30 AM

Whats the average electricity use of a condo in a month?

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
I know these numbers will probably be met with skepticism by some but it's important that they are out there.

These rates should prove that there isn't the amount of empty condos out there that some assume, these numbers shown still account for vacant units for relocation and vacations so the real number is even smaller.
Thanks for posting. Would still be interesting to know what those stats are on a neighbourhood by neighbourhood basis though. I would predict, for instance, that the Coal Harbour and Yaletown numbers are much higher than, say, the West End or Gastown.

Would also be interested in knowing whether the "condo" number includes rental buildings as well. The technical definition of condominium of course does not, but the two are sometimes conflated.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 3:26 AM
Vancouver User

The sheer number of potential land packages that are cropping up on Cambie & Granville right now are astonishing! I swear there's at least a couple sections of 3-5 houses in every block!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 4:02 AM

there are a few on oak street between 37 and 41 ave as well... you know, the old bungalows sandwiched between the townhouses on 37th and the lowrise appartments on 41st.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 4:33 AM

I also did a quick search on realtylink.org to check out some of the houses for sale on Cambie St. I chuckled (maybe out of jealousy) to see some of them reaching past $5M, of course these are large 69X150 lots between Kind Ed station and QE park, but nevertheless that is freaking insane. The less desirable ones (those south of 49th ave start at $3.3M). If I only had a house on Cambie St... sigh.

Have a look for yourself:http://www.realtylink.org/prop_searc...=RA&Page=Next&

Here's the "property description":
Quote:
Developers, Investors Alert -- Large Cambie Corridor project site--pontential 3 blocks assemble opportunity.Combine to be sold with other 9 properties (also on MLS).Cambie Corridor plan for 6 storey apartment up to net FSR 2.5. True rare opportunities for investment in prestigious Westside!! Great location--steps to Queen Elizabeth Park, minutes to Oakridge Mall, Steps to Canada Line station, downtown, all amenities and top schools! All houses are good condition for great mortgage helper. Future Project building upper floors will have amazing View!View!View! If you're smart buyers, ACT NOW!All offers will be presented to the owners at 10:00am Wednesday Sept.7,2011.
We'll see how the offers (if any) will fare.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 12:14 AM
Vancouver User

I noticed one assembly or development site on Nanaimo near McGill that's sign had been labelled as "Reduced" though... so at least there's some consolations that the Lower Mainland hasn't reached a complete inferno.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues