HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

3 Hudson Boulevard in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
This was from a while ago
And that article is 100% correct. It's just that certain forumers don't seem to understand that concept of air rights (which is muddying up the 225 W57 thread, this thread, and now even the Hudson Yards North thread).

Again, this tower has air rights to top 432 Park. It probably has air rights to top any building on earth (assuming FAA permits could be granted). So what? Air rights have nothing to do with height. This building has always been 1,060 ft., and the fact that it has air rights to go taller has nothing to do with whether it will.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 1:01 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
And that article is 100% correct. It's just that certain forumers don't seem to understand that concept of air rights (which is muddying up the 225 W57 thread, this thread, and now even the Hudson Yards North thread).

Again, this tower has air rights to top 432 Park. It has air rights to top any building on earth. So what? Air rights have nothing to do with height. This building has always been 1,060 ft., and the fact that it has air rights to go taller has nothing to do with whether it will.

I realize that, I was more just asking if anyone had any further information considering that people last year had been talking about this thing being significantly taller, that wasn't the only article to mention it either.

I wasn't even referring to air rights, air rights or not it said "could rise a similar height" (as 432) That implies there is a chance of a taller building, maybe not anymore but at least there was at one time, and that's all I was asking.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 1:19 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I realize that, I was more just asking if anyone had any further information considering that people last year had been talking about this thing being significantly taller, that wasn't the only article to mention it either.

I wasn't even referring to air rights, air rights or not it said "could rise a similar height" (as 432) That implies there is a chance of a taller building, maybe not anymore but at least there was at one time, and that's all I was asking.
I thin he's lost. This building was never planned to rise higher. It is of a similar height, both are 1,000 ft tall buildings. From the time this tower was revealed, it has been the same design. Even the renderings released today reveal nothing new. We have always known what this tower was going to be. Obviously it could be developed as a taller building, but when you know what the plans are, you stick with the plans, not your imagination. To do otherwise would be foolish, and there are people who would have you be. I am not one of them. Stick with what you already know, until proven otherwise....

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 1:57 AM
Metal Up Your !

I'm really happy they kept the design. Simple and elegant. Really like the slight twist neat the top of the tower's "fins." Also excited about the lighting!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 12:19 AM
New Yorker for life

Christine Quinn (city council pres/mayoral candidate) will be the keynote speaker at a conference on the future of Midtown west, but some of the real estate bigs will be there also...
http://www.cvent.com/events/future-o...2ed37a3c3.aspx

http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-rea...-block-in-nyc/

Quote:

Yesterday, The Moinian Group announced its plans for 3 Hudson Blvd, a parcel that Joe Moinian bought 20 years ago. We snapped him—right, with with Avison Young tri-state prez Arthur Mirante II—at Moinian's new 3 Columbus Circle office. Moinian will spend $800M to $900M to build 1.5M SF of office, 22k SF of retail, and another 350k SF at the top that could go office, luxury condos, or a combo. And it'll be LEED Platinum. Arthur, who's speaking at Bisnow's Future of Midtown West event, says asking rents for the 47k SF base floors are $85/SF, and office on the upper floors would go for triple digits.

We also snapped Moinian Group development director Oskar Brecher and architect Dan Kaplan of FXFowle. Oskar says the full-block parcel means wide roads on three sides (34th Street, Eleventh Avenue, and the to-be-built Hudson Boulevard) that allow plenty of light and air, 360-degree views, and an efficient structure (concrete core, flexible steel from there to the periphery). The site also sits on solid bedrock, unlike much of the rest of Manhattan. "It's as if someone from heaven wanted us to build here," Oskar says.

What truly makes the site unique, though, is that it's the intersection of three major infrastructure projects. Office entrances will be at 34th and Eleventh (at the High Line's terminus) and 35th and Hudson Boulevard. That's also the entrance to the subway's 7 line extension. Oskar says the underground cavern of the station—NYC's largest station—could hold the Empire State Building on its side. A residential entrance, if condos happen, will be on 34th Street. 3 Hudson Blvd also is across the street from the Javits Center, where renovations overseen by Dan—including the city's largest green roof—are just about done.

Dan's 3 Hudson Blvd design features two six-story wings with 300-foot-wide LED screens for an office tenant to play with. And a two-level common space with Sky Lounge (lounge, meeting space, bar, restaurant, and terraces) tops it all off. Oskar says the MTA expects to finish 7 line construction in early 2015 but adds that if an anchor tenant or two have signed on, Tishman Construction could start foundation work while the MTA is wrapping up, as the subway's escalators cut through 3 Hudson Blvd's foundation.

We'd love you to join us a week from today to hear more about 3 Hudson Blvd, the rest of Hudson Yards, and Manhattan West from Art, New York City Council Speaker Christine Quinn, Related Hudson Yards president Jay Cross, Brookfield Office Properties Dennis Friedrich, Silverstein Properties CEO Larry Silverstein, Cushman & Wakefield global brokerage chair Bruce Mosler, CBRE's Rob Stillman, Hudson Yards Development prez Ann Weisbrod, FTI Consulting's Bruce Schonbraun, and Langan's George Leventis.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 12:23 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I thin he's lost. This building was never planned to rise higher. It is of a similar height, both are 1,000 ft tall buildings. From the time this tower was revealed, it has been the same design. Even the renderings released today reveal nothing new. We have always known what this tower was going to be. Obviously it could be developed as a taller building, but when you know what the plans are, you stick with the plans, not your imagination. To do otherwise would be foolish, and there are people who would have you be. I am not one of them. Stick with what you already know, until proven otherwise....

Ok here we go again... I never said it was, there were rumors so I was simply asking if anyone knew anything about it. Amazing how the simplest things get blown out of proportion on here.

Quote:
I'm really happy they kept the design. Simple and elegant. Really like the slight twist neat the top of the tower's "fins." Also excited about the lighting!
I agree completely, this building, like most in development in NY at the moment, is amazing

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 12:28 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Ok here we go again... I never said it was, there were rumors so I was simply asking if anyone knew anything about it. Amazing how the simplest things get blown out of proportion on here.
Really.

Quote:
Remember like a year back when they were talking about making this thing 1500+ feet? Whatever happened to those plans...
What's amazing is your short term memory loss. You started this particular course of discussion with that statement. If you don't want people to respond to your comments, then don't make any.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2013, 4:02 PM

Sounds like this one is inching closer to happening. This is like the dark horse of the Hudson Yards development.

Quote:
Moinian Group Selling Downtown Loss Angeles Land

Rapti Gupta
Jun 22, 2013
Realty Today

Joseph Moinion, owner of Moinian Group, the famous New York-based commercial property developing firm, is reportedly seeking buyers for a 4.5 acre piece of prime land in downtown Los Angeles. A luxury hotel project was supposed to come up in the area, but however got cancelled. Now the land is up for sale.

According to Bloomberg, the land has already garnered bids from ten potential buyers with the price going up to around $180 million. Bids are bound to get higher and the deal is expected to close within the next two months.

Joseph Moinian purchased the property from Anschutz Entertainment Group for around $80 million in 2006. He had planned to develop a mixed use development project on the land but decided to focus on real estate in New York instead, reports Daily Business Review.

More recently, the Moinian Group revealed plans of a brand new project, which will be a major part of the Hudson Yards development in New York. The new project is slated to be a mixed-use 1000 feet tall, 1.8 million square feet tower called "3 Hudson Boulevard".

"For more than two decades The Moinian Group has believed that the new West Side would emerge as Manhattan's most sought-after neighborhood. Our new mixed-use building at 3 Hudson Boulevard will stand as the pinnacle of elegance along the new Hudson Boulevard & Park. With 3 Hudson Boulevard, you are going to see something truly spectacular," Joseph Moinian said to the Commercial Observer.
http://www.realtytoday.com/articles/...geles-land.htm

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 10:09 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

from today - 1st lets get a panorama of the lay of the land:

^ hmm, hope i got that right? i was standing on the nw corner of w33rd st/11th ave and looking up to w34th st

Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 5:22 PM
New Yorker for life

That's correct. The first shot includes the 1 Hudson Yards site. (Related will probably use the more proper 1 Hudson Boulevard.)

Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
from today - 1st lets get a panorama of the lay of the land:

Does anybody know what that windowless concrete building on the right side of the photo is? It's been built in just the last year. Is that part of the One Hudson Yards development?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 6:30 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
Does anybody know what that windowless concrete building on the right side of the photo is? It's been built in just the last year. Is that part of the One Hudson Yards development?
Yes and no. It is to be incorporated into the base of whatever tower goes up there, but it is for the subway station below.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 10:32 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Yes and no. It is to be incorporated into the base of whatever tower goes up there, but it is for the subway station below.
yes j-biz its for the subway -- and if you look to the very left of the photo you can see another one of those. its just north of the girasole site. btw up close i noticed this gigantic subway vent box now has what looks like fancy dark granite stone paneling. maybe its faux material, but if not i thought that was unusual for something like this. i guess they want them to fit in with whats to come!

here are a couple other views of those i took.
this is the one on w33rd.

this is the one up at w35th:

Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 11:51 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Sounds like this one is inching closer to happening. This is like the dark horse of the Hudson Yards development.

http://www.realtytoday.com/articles/...geles-land.htm

Nah, the Sherwood Equities tower is the darkhorse.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 12:41 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
i guess they want them to fit in with whats to come!
It won't be too hard to blend that into whatever base get's built. Even if it is of a different color and design, it just looks like mechanical space.

( hidden on the left )

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 4:06 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but is that large vent "cube" for when they build the platform over the current yard?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 2:33 PM
New Yorker for life

http://commercialobserver.com/2013/0...-hudson-yards/

Hudson Hawk: The Moinian Group’s Oskar Brecher Talks Hudson Yards
As director of development for the Moinian Group, Oskar Brecher is leading the charge to shift Midtown farther west.

By Gus Delaporte
August 13, 2013

In June, the Moinian Group announced its plans for 3 Hudson Boulevard, a 1,000-foot-tall, 1.8 million-square-foot tower between West 34th and West 35th Streets in Hudson Yards. Designed by Dan Kaplan of FXFOWLE, the property will include 1.5 million square feet of office space, 22,000 square feet of retail and possibly as much as 300,000 square feet of residential space. The man behind the Moinian Group project is Oskar Brecher, the company’s vice president and director of development. Across the United States, Mr. Brecher and his team are involved with nearly 10 million square feet of development. The Commercial Observer spoke with Mr. Brecher at his firm’s 3 Columbus Circle office, where he described the 3 Hudson Boulevard project envisioned by the Moinan Group, headed by CEO Joseph Moinian.

Quote:
The Commercial Observer: Can you give some background on the vision of the plan at Hudson Yards and how it was formulated?

Mr. Brecher: We bought the property on the corner of 34th and 11th Avenue in 2005, and at that time the Hudson Yards initiative was in its earlier stages. But Joe had a vision of Midtown New York heading west. He had assets in this part of the city for as long as two decades and he felt that the city was going to move to the west, which would be part of the historic expansion of New York. In the ’60s, the major buildings of Rockefeller Center were built on the west side of Sixth Avenue, and then in the ’80s around the time Times Square was developed, Ninth Avenue became a respectable address. This was a part of the vision, and Joe bought four major parcels, all of them full block fronts, on 11th Avenue, and we still own those. That is, 25th through 26th, 34th through 35th, then 42nd through 43rd, and 43rd through 44th on the east side. You can see that Joe was positioning himself strategically.

Tell me about the project on the Far West Side and how it fits into Hudson Yards.

This particular parcel is called one of the four corners of Hudson Yards. By sheer strategic location, it became an important part of the Hudson Yards plan. When Joe bought it, it was not viewed as anything special in terms of how Hudson Yards developed. It turns out, it became very central to Hudson Yards in the sense that three of the biggest infrastructure initiatives all line up with this piece of land.

One is the 7 line extension. One end of the subway line actually comes through the building, so people will exit the 7 line through the basement of the building out into the park. Second—and most people don’t realize this—is that the High Line is going to terminate, when it is fully completed, at 34th and 11th, kitty-corner to the site. Third, there is a new Park Avenue-like street being developed in the city called Hudson Boulevard, and we are facing Hudson Boulevard. So the building is really surrounded by 34th Street, 35th Street and 11th Avenue.

What makes the site so unique by New York standards is that it occupies its entire block. What’s even rarer is that it is occupying three block fronts, which are wide streets. Almost no site in the city has this type of exposure, meaning the building stands all by itself. And the buildings around it are some distance away, making it very visible. It also allows for an efficient building to be built with a true center core. This building is going to be as perfect from a planning point of view as you can make it.

What are the plans for the building itself?

The site of the building is about 1.8 million square feet. The current design is 1.5 million square feet of office space and potentially 300,000 square feet of residential space at the top. But it may come out to be all office, depending on demand. We have a street-level retail segment, which is one of the things mandated in the plan, and we feel street-level retail is going to be a very important feature of the building. The building size and shape are an exceedingly good fit for major tenants.

Can you describe your process as a developer for a project such as this?

Clearly the primary basis of determining what we do with a site is the zoning. Zoning was not created in a vacuum, so these buildings that are on the four corners of Hudson Yards have the maximum zoning in Hudson Yards. And that has become a new standard in the city. The maximum is 33 times the floor-area ratio, which is much denser than the old maximum zoning levels were. It turns out, you do need this enormous critical mass to jump-start development in this part of the world.

The other thing you have to look at is the footprint. In this case, the footprint was 50,000 square feet. The plan has some guidelines involved with it. One of them is various setbacks and street wall requirements to create a form that gives the city its density but uniformity. For instance, if you go out on Park Avenue, there is a defined street wall where, if you look up, all of the buildings are virtually the same height. The same ideas were incorporated here to create uniformity.

We have a podium that covers the entire site, and this podium is where we are able to offer to prospective tenants things like trading floor space or showroom space or studio space, depending on which direction they are going. They have high ceilings, at least 11 feet, floor to ceiling.

You don’t want your executives to be on a giant floor with thousands of people. So the architect came up with a solution in which he took the building, and as he made the floors smaller, he created a bit of a pivot.
And this will be a very interesting feature in the skyline. In a sense, what he has done—he has designed something that will follow the sun. The sun is at an angle off the street grid of the city, and he corrected that. It’s a very clever design.

What are the potential plans for the top of the building?

When it came to the apartments on top that may or may not be realized, we constricted the floor even more because those require smaller floor plates.

At the top of the building, we have a 15,000- to 20,000-square-foot event space, either dedicated to a specific tenant or in the form of a dining club or event space available for everybody.

Will there be branding opportunities for tenants?

What we have done is we have wrapped the roof in LED screens, and we will be able to project images either for public art or tenant identification. It will be a very dynamic, active building in the skyline.

Will the building be sustainable?

We took a great deal of effort ensuring the highest sustainability standards. We concluded ultimately that going LEED Platinum was not good enough. We wanted to go beyond that, and we will exceed LEED Platinum in terms of sustainability, [which is] an environmental responsibility.

The energy use in the building is extremely efficient compared to buildings that have been built earlier. At the moment this is state-of-the-art.

Can you speak, as a developer, to the growth of trends such as sustainability and branding and how you’re trying to incorporate them into your projects?

First of all, sustainability seems to be a demand of the major tenants that are interested in these buildings. The reason they are interested, we have concluded, is for two reasons: one is the retention of employees and the other is recruitment of employees. People should feel they are in an environment which does not waste—or needlessly use—energy and is responsible from an environmental point of view. Our sustainability practice is influenced both by our wanting to be recognized but also because it is a powerful marketing tool. Happily, the two come together.

In terms of branding, it seems other cities are much more advanced in terms of tying tenants into the building. We are making progress in that.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 1:00 AM

Vent overbuild building is purely for the subway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but is that large vent "cube" for when they build the platform over the current yard?
AFAIK, that vent overbuild building is purely for the subway. The subway station is supposed to be "air tempered", not just vented.

However, the West Side yards & LIRR electric RR infrastructure WILL need venting when they build the Hudson Yards platform on top. I'd say the biggest example that will require venting is the LIRR substation in the NE corner that will have the North Tower/platform built on top.

And all those LIRR trains being stored in the yard during the midday must have have their AC turned on, dumping heat under the platform.

And the Manhattan West platform to the east of the AP building will restrict air flow through the short two track? wide tunnel under 10th Ave.

Should be interesting problem to deal with.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 4:45 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.costar.com/News/Article/H...154840&src=rss

By Randyl Drummer
November 25, 2013

Quote:
..."Values are obviously going up," said Mirante, who heads leasing efforts for the Moinain Group’s planned 3 Hudson Boulevard, a 1.8 million-square-foot tower at 555 W. 34th Street occupying a city block at 34th Street and 11th Avenue. "We’re making two presentations a week on 3 Hudson Boulevard. The ice has now been broken with the Coach and L’Oreal and SAP transactions, and no longer will it be a big gamble to [invest] there."

Mirante said his bullishness on the Manhattan office leasing market, especially for new construction coming on line within the next three or four years, stems from a recognition that the office stock on the island averages between 50 and 60 years old.

"Leaders in the more successful companies are gravitating to new Class A space that’s more sustainable and efficient than the existing stock, and new buildings are going to lease more quickly than the old," he said. "We may be in equilibrium in this office market and it’s true the tenants are in a pretty good position and still have a lot of choices. But they don’t have many choices if they want to occupy new Class A space."

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 10:35 PM
don't *meddle*...

Lots of interest in this tower!

http://www.rew-online.com/2013/12/12...n-boulevard-2/

Moinian shows off 3 Hudson Boulevard

Quote:
The Moinian Group today unveiled four new renderings for its 1.8 million square foot LEED Platinum tower, located on 11th Avenue between West 34th and West 35th Streets, which is designed by architect Dan Kaplan FAIA of FXFOWLE.

Thw new state-of-the-art, high-performance building will occupy a premiere location in the heart of the dynamic Far West Side, anchoring the new tree-lined Hudson Boulevard Park.

3 Hudson Boulevard will also provide direct access to the No. 7 Subway via the MTA’s new 34th Street subway station at the building’s entrance.

The new renderings of the sustainably progressive 3 Hudson Boulevard include:
· A dramatic image of the building looking west on 34th Street from the intersection with Hudson Boulevard Park;

· A Hudson River view, looking east, with the building prominently featured along the West Side skyline;

· A 40th floor office view looking east towards the Empire State Building; and,

· An interior view of the open 2nd floor sky lobby looking east above the tree tops of Hudson Boulevard Park.

Moinian released the new images as discussions have accelerated with several high-end tenants looking to occupy large blocks of space at the tower. The property is being leased by Avison Young.

In addition to approximately 1.5 million square feet of Class A office space and 22,000 square feet of retail space, on the uppermost floors 3 Hudson Boulevard is set to include another 350,000 square feet of Class A office or up to 14 floors of luxury residences.

Given 3 Hudson Boulevard’s design to maximize sunlight and views throughout the building — with the physical structure enhanced with a ‘twist’ — the tower will also provide 360 degree views of the Hudson River, High Line, Hudson Boulevard Park, Central Park, Times Square, and the Empire State Building.

The location also provides access to the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center for clients to host and attend major events.

“We are set to deliver a truly spectacular building at 3 Hudson Boulevard — the pinnacle of the new Far West Side,” said Joseph Moinian, founder of The Moinian Group. “These new renderings wonderfully present the elegance and sophistication we are bringing to our tenants and the neighborhood.”

“These renderings of 3 Hudson Boulevard express the spirit of the design: open, gracious, connected to greenery, and filled with sunlight,” Kaplan said. “They convey a stunning transformation of a large but underutilized block into a vibrant and sustainable addition to Manhattan”

“There is no question that tenants are responding to this world-class project, as we are actively speaking with several major companies who are considering 3 Hudson Boulevard as their new headquarters,” said Arthur Mirante, president of Avison Young’s Tristate Region. “The new renderings further illuminate just how stunning and sophisticated their new home will be.”

The building includes 48,000-square-foot floor plates on the podium level, 30,000- to 35,000-square-foot, column-free floor plates in the tower office floors, with 11-foot-high ceilings and with floor-to-ceiling windows.

An anchor tenant at 3 Hudson Boulevard will also have a branding opportunity. The tenant’s logo can be prominently displayed on the corner LED screen walls along the 11th Avenue and 34th Street frontages of the base floors, with day/night visibility. The tower will exceed LEED Platinum sustainability standards.

Office space at 3 Hudson Boulevard is being made available to tenants either as a direct lease or as an office condo. Tishman Construction is the lead construction partner on the project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction