HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 6:35 PM

The crane is coming down.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 8:00 PM
Meh

Yep. I'm still wondering how they'll finish the spire. Surely they aren't going to hoist the pieces into place using the spire itself. I guess they could, but that would be hairy. It still seems like a helicopter is most likely what they'll use.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 9:54 PM

Maybe they'll shoot a beam or light out of that stove pipe of a spire, some kind of light show. Ditto for that blank wall on Cesar Chavez. People really need to make a fuss about that wall. It cries out for something visually interesting. Check out the light show in LA for the new Wilshire Grand, currently the tallest building west of the Mississippi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYTsvGblyt0

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Maybe they'll shoot a beam or light out of that stove pipe of a spire, some kind of light show. Ditto for that blank wall on Cesar Chavez. People really need to make a fuss about that wall. It cries out for something visually interesting. Check out the light show in LA for the new Wilshire Grand, currently the tallest building west of the Mississippi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYTsvGblyt0
I really like the Wilshire Grand, and followed its construction in the L.A. forum. But it's the tallest by way of a ridiculous spire like the Fairmont.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I really like the Wilshire Grand, and followed its construction in the L.A. forum. But it's the tallest by way of a ridiculous spire like the Fairmont.
Well,the Wilshire Grand spire is fairly well placed and looks more integrated into the building than the pipe sticking up from the Austin Fairmont. The street to roof height is in the vicinity of 920 feet. I think the US Bank building in LA is probably the true tallest, but Wilshire Grand is a monster building. The Salesforce tower in SF is also claiming bragging rights for tallest west of the Mississippi, although they have a empty cap or shell going on top of their structure to give it some extra height. The heights don't concern me particularly. I am more interested in the way the buildings look. I do like the Chinese style light show at the Wilshire Grand. I wonder whether it will happen all night, every night? The Fairmont could overcome a lot of criticism and attract business too by shelling out some dough for sexy lighting at the top and on that ugly blank wall. Here's a link to some night time pics of the Wilshire Grand.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wils...K5wQ-F9NTgRqM:

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Well,the Wilshire Grand spire is fairly well placed and looks more integrated into the building than the pipe sticking up from the Austin Fairmont. The street to roof height is in the vicinity of 920 feet. I think the US Bank building in LA is probably the true tallest, but Wilshire Grand is a monster building. The Salesforce tower in SF is also claiming bragging rights for tallest west of the Mississippi, although they have a empty cap or shell going on top of their structure to give it some extra height. The heights don't concern me particularly. I am more interested in the way the buildings look. I do like the Chinese style light show at the Wilshire Grand. I wonder whether it will happen all night, every night? The Fairmont could overcome a lot of criticism and attract business too by shelling out some dough for sexy lighting at the top and on that ugly blank wall. Here's a link to some night time pics of the Wilshire Grand.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wils...K5wQ-F9NTgRqM:
The problem is, no one lives in downtown LA. People live in downtown Austin, and will almost definitley complain like crazy if there are lights going off every night remotely close to what's happening in downtown LA. Shoot, my Rainey st. neighbors raise hell every time a bar has a concert, much less a permanent fixture....

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
The problem is, no one lives in downtown LA. People live in downtown Austin, and will almost definitley complain like crazy if there are lights going off every night remotely close to what's happening in downtown LA. Shoot, my Rainey st. neighbors raise hell every time a bar has a concert, much less a permanent fixture....
I get your point, but you are very wrong about nobody living in downtown LA. Current estimates are close to 60,000 living downtown. There has been a massive construction boom there in the past decade. https://www.downtownla.com/do-biz/dt...dential-growth

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 11:31 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
This is part and parcel of living downtown. If you're (not you, specifically) are complaining about lights and noise, you're living in the wrong place.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
This is part and parcel of living downtown. If you're (not you, specifically) are complaining about lights and noise, you're living in the wrong place.
Oh no I agree, If the Fairmont has lights, my apartment faces them directly. But light and noise comes with the territory of living downtown.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 11:45 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Oh no I agree, If the Fairmont has lights, my apartment faces them directly. But light and noise comes with the territory of living downtown.
Oh I know you agree. You probably wouldn't be on this forum as an active participant if you didn't.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 4:08 AM
Meh

The spire is partially lit tonight. It's a white floodlight shining onto it. It's pretty bright. I could see it from South Lamar around Oltorf.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 4:45 AM
PrimaPix Visuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
The spire is partially lit tonight. It's a white floodlight shining onto it. It's pretty bright. I could see it from South Lamar around Oltorf.
Yup was lit last night too. Ill try and snap a pic tonight.
I hope this doesn't mean that is the final product.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 4:52 AM

We'll know it's done when we see a red light on top. I don't think it's going to get any better. But it would be nice if it was lit with color changing LED lighting up the entire length.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 5:13 AM

Sorry for the crappy pics, but it's the best my iphone can do out in the rain. Either way, this looks better than nothing.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 5:16 AM

It'll look OK at night since it's well lit even if white is the only color. But it will always look sad during the day.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 5:33 AM

Here are some crappy cell phone pics of the lit spire from East 5th Street tonight.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 5:36 AM

You out crapped the Gecko with those. I kid, I kid,

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 5:59 AM
Meh

This thing looks like a giant walkie-talkie. Those tiered sections really emphasized it. It really would be great if it could change colors. I'm usually cautious about going nuts with lots of color changing LEDs, but it would look striking and totally different from anything else on the skyline. I'm also really hoping that they light the mechanical screen on the roof. Right now with just the spire lit it looks strangely dark up there, but if the mechanical screen was lit it would elegant and would be one of the best lighting jobs so far.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 6:44 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
You out crapped the Gecko with those. I kid, I kid,
Now, now...let's not turn this into a "who has the crappiest pictures" contest.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 6:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Now, now...let's not turn this into a "who has the crappiest pictures" contest.
I just drove by the Fairmont around 11:00PM. At least those guys took pictures. I didn't stop because it was drizzling, and I didn't want to get damp.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin