HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbssfelix View Post
Explain to me how continued development in your "now gentrified" area from densification and urbanization somehow destroys your home value? Very few builders/developers are interested in the SFH that you've purchased, nor is that were the value lies. The $$ is in the land, and as development continues and the area continues to add value, your land/home value will also continue to rise accordingly. Having a mixed-use multi-story on the corner a block away from your SFH not only doesn't hurt your investment, it often adds to it by bringing walkability, retail options, and additional character to the neighborhood.
The word your looking for is empathy.
A less judgemental discussion of how some folks might dare to want to keep the neigborhood they bought in. They are allowed.

FYI: I live in a very dense area... highrise, etc..... but I would still fight to make sure development out my window benefited my building and my value.
Any homeowner is a NYMBY at some point.
You have to be.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 6:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The word your looking for is empathy.
A less judgemental discussion of how some folks might dare to want to keep the neigborhood they bought in. They are allowed.

FYI: I live in a very dense area... highrise, etc..... but I would still fight to make sure development out my window benefited my building and my value.
Any homeowner is a NYMBY at some point.
You have to be.
I agree. I became a suburban nimby when a nearby company expanded and decided to turn the greenbelt behind my house into a parking lot. We fought them and lost. My backyard was
small and the noisy parking lot was about 50 feet from my house. It took almost 4 months and 2 price reductions to get my house sold to a reluctant but bargain happy family.
So I have empathy to the existing nimbys trying to defend their space, neighborhood, whatever. Progress cost me over $10k. I don't have empathy to nimbys who just got there and want progress to concede to their wishes. If you don't want someone to build in your backyard, buy a house in front of a lake or river.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
If you don't want someone to build in your backyard, buy a house in front of a lake or river.
I've lived on East 12th Street since 2004. I'm glad I bought a house across the street from a cemetery, at least the view out my front door is not likely to change. I can't say the same for the other three sides.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2016, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
As expected, the Planning Commission officially killed this project as proposed on Tuesday just because a few NIMBYs screamed about it. But something substantial could still be built on the site. Anything would be better than an abandoned Safeway being used as a bingo parlor. This city needs to grow up.
I spoke with an "insider" the other day (the same guy I'd been talking about with WPP, if you've been following that thread), and he mentioned to me about how this project is absolutely not dead. He'd said the only thing that's dead is the height, and probably the grocery store along with it, since they'll need that space to still include the number of housing units they want. So although it seems to have stalled, I think the developer still has big plans for it (although they might not be as nice as we imagined).

Just like the Saltillo plan (which had the grocery store nixed), I'd really like to see some retail here, particularly a hardware store, or a general store (think Target). Downtown residents and East Austin residents alike are really lacking in those areas if they don't want to drive up to Mueller....

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 6:15 PM
World Traveler

That's good news, thanks for sharing. If I remember correctly, doesn't the Breckenridge development tract have a market as a part of it? Perhaps that could satisfy at least some of the need for a grocery store in the area. I really wouldn't mind seeing more Royal Blue-type grocery stores pop up in some of these other areas, if nothing else.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
I spoke with an "insider" the other day (the same guy I'd been talking about with WPP, if you've been following that thread), and he mentioned to me about how this project is absolutely not dead. He'd said the only thing that's dead is the height, and probably the grocery store along with it, since they'll need that space to still include the number of housing units they want. So although it seems to have stalled, I think the developer still has big plans for it (although they might not be as nice as we imagined).

Just like the Saltillo plan (which had the grocery store nixed), I'd really like to see some retail here, particularly a hardware store, or a general store (think Target). Downtown residents and East Austin residents alike are really lacking in those areas if they don't want to drive up to Mueller....
I hadn't heard about Saltillo Plaza dropping the grocery store. Is that confirmed?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
That's good news, thanks for sharing. If I remember correctly, doesn't the Breckenridge development tract have a market as a part of it? Perhaps that could satisfy at least some of the need for a grocery store in the area. I really wouldn't mind seeing more Royal Blue-type grocery stores pop up in some of these other areas, if nothing else.
Maybe something like Royal Blue....but a bit cheaper

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 2:24 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
Maybe something like Royal Blue....but a bit cheaper
Good point.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 11:42 PM

There was a recent update to the filing to subdivide the site. But it contains absolutely no info on what is planned for Rev 2 of this project. But it does indicate that the developers are moving forward with something.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11568084

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 11:47 PM

Quote:
There was a recent update to the filing to subdivide the site. But it contains absolutely no info on what is planned for Rev 2 of this project. But it does indicate that the developers are moving forward with something.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11568084
Whatever it is, I hope the neighbors hate it but can't do anything about it.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 8:42 PM

Will this project be moving forward? Any new updates about it ?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyHannah View Post
Will this project be moving forward? Any new updates about it ?
The project as originally proposed is dead. Another project is apparently in the works, but there are no details yet.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 1:03 AM

The filing for subdividing the site went inactive after the last update in 2016. But the plans are back in review, and there was an update (with no project details) added to the filing about a week ago. Hopefully we should know what the new plans are for the site sometime soon.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyrsn=880082

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 5:37 AM
Meh

I hope it's a supertall with no windows facing the neighborhood.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 7:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I wish. Unfortunately they could just be subdividing the site to sell off a part of it for a fast food restaurant. Since "traffic concerns" was such a big part of their complaint against this project, I wonder if the same traffic concerns will apply to a high volume restaurant that just happens to not block their views?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 11:43 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
I wish. Unfortunately they could just be subdividing the site to sell off a part of it for a fast food restaurant. Since "traffic concerns" was such a big part of their complaint against this project, I wonder if the same traffic concerns will apply to a high volume restaurant that just happens to not block their views?
Haha, if it's a Chick-fil-a or something it could easily surpass 10,000 cars per day with a location right next to downtown....

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Haha, if it's a Chick-fil-a or something it could easily surpass 10,000 cars per day with a location right next to downtown....
Ha! As much as I hate to see bad developments get built in prime areas, I'd also love to see the city council approve a chick-fil-a, and have more traffic come to the area than any condo would ever bring. Although that's pretty petty....

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I prefer medium tall and very wide with a completely blank wall facing all the Nimbys. Maybe they can put a mural of Ora Houston on that wall to lessen the monotony.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 3:47 PM

A site plan was filed this morning for the new version of this project. It's called "The Huston." From the site plan:

Quote:
The applicant is proposing to construct multi-family development with parking spaces and associated improvements.
There are no project details yet, but stay tuned:

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 7:50 PM

Quote:
A site plan was filed this morning for the new version of this project. It's called "The Huston." From the site plan:

There are no project details yet, but stay tuned:

I guess since it is spelled Huston instead of Houston, we can assume the new project is not named after Ora Houston?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin