HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Copley Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Boston Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 12:33 AM

BOSTON | Copley Place Tower | 626 FT / 191 M | 47 FLOORS | CANCELLED

Copley Place owner unveils tower plan
By Scott Van Voorhis
Friday, March 21, 2008

A luxury condo and retail tower almost as tall as the Prudential building would soar over Copley Square under plans unveiled yesterday by the upscale Copley Place Mall’s owner.

Retail giant Simon Properties proposed a major expansion of the mall’s Neiman Marcus store, as well as new shops and restaurants - all topped by 300 condos priced at $1 million and up.

“With all the services and amenities Copley Place offers, we thought residential was just a natural component,” said Carl Dieterle, executive vice president of development for Simon.

The project’s launch comes after months of planning and efforts to head off concerns raised by some neighborhood activists that the proposed 47-story tower might cast a long shadow across nearby Copley Square and other Back Bay landmarks.

While acknowledging the shadow issue, Simon executives contend the tower’s design will limit the project’s impact.

The high-rise will take shape on a four-story podium, with the tower itself thin and tapered to create the least amount of shadow possible on Copley Square and on the nearby Commonwealth Avenue mall, Dieterle said.

Citing research Simon commissioned, Dieterle conceded the tower will cast a shadow across some of Copley Square and the Commonwealth mall - but only between 11:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. in the winter and fall months. “It’s pencil like,” he said.

Still, the prospect of any additional shadows on Copley Square and the Commonwealth Avenue mall will have to thoroughly reviewed, said state Rep. Marty Walz (D-Back Bay).

And the design of the high-rise, given its proximity to the widely acclaimed Hancock tower, also needs to be carefully considered.

“It will be reflected in the facade of the Hancock Center and it has a very prominent position on the Back Bay skyline,” Walz said. “This needs to be a spectacularly beautiful building.”

More than just a new tower is planned, with a major retail expansion also in the works.

The project aims to add 54,000 square feet to the existing Neiman Marcus store, as well as an additional 60,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space. A four-season winter garden is also planned.

And despite concerns over a weakening economy, Simon’s Dieterle notes the project won’t open until 2012 - likely putting it in a recovering real estate market.

Link

for a high res image click HERE

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 12:59 AM
Run with Love

I hope it doesnt get scaled back, and that the design is better then I'm thinking.

While they are at it they should replace Copley Place- and the huge JH parking garage.
"Dazzled by the needles of light stitching the water, I turned to watch him watch them. I noticed his eyelashes were reflected in his eyes, like awning in windowpanes. As I tried to make sense of that reflection, I found I could not look away. His irises were brown, clouding into orange with brighter flecks around his pupils. Then it became as important not to look as to look, I feared I would be lost in rush of bronze motes."

Last edited by Goody; Mar 2, 2012 at 9:25 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 3:50 AM
Meh

I actually like the idea so far. Let's hope the facade and other details are up to snuff. But that shape of tower for some reason says "Boston" to me.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 3:10 PM

I live right off of Columbus Avenue and work out literally across the street from this proposal. I am ALL for it! It would be such a huge improvement over what is currently there...which is nothing but wasted, wind-blasted space!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 10:21 PM
FYHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
I live right off of Columbus Avenue and work out literally across the street from this proposal. I am ALL for it! It would be such a huge improvement over what is currently there...which is nothing but wasted, wind-blasted space!
As someone who chooses to walk from Government Center to Copley whenever I'm in town (fully aware there's a station there as well, thanks ), I'd love to see this rise! If anything, it would stand out from the blocky appearance the complex has overall and I'm all for that.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2008, 2:27 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Looks like a great location.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2008, 4:45 PM

Hope this is built, anyone know of a Boston Specific thread? Just joined the site and am looking for more Boston related projects.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2008, 6:18 PM
Endless Moments...

I want to see more, but i like the concept so far...

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginjitsuman View Post
Hope this is built, anyone know of a Boston Specific thread? Just joined the site and am looking for more Boston related projects.
archBOSTON.com

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 5:28 PM

that would be a good addition, but I wouldn't say that its "almost as tall as" the prudential building.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 4:31 PM

wow it is smaller than i thought

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 3:05 AM

Tonight was the first public meeting for this project, and here's what I got. It's really a beautiful tower..

The setting:

The architect: Howard Elkus of Elkus Manfredi, Boston's second biggest architectural firm

Skyline shots:

The ground level, looking east down Stuart:

Looking north:

The winter garden:

Site plan:

floor plans:

And model shots:

Looking south from approximately Dartmouth and Beacon Streets:

From Copley Square:

Looking west down Stuart Street. The Clarendon is the structure at the left:

From the Southwest Corridor Park:

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 5:08 AM

What an excellent update. THanks for sharing.

I can see my roofdeck in some of those renderings/photos!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 2:15 PM

any feeling at the meeting about what community opinion on this project is?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 11:31 PM

It was just the first public meeting, so a lot of things hadn't been fully nailed down yet. Having said that, my feelings were that I've been to much more contentious meetings. Although there were a couple who got quite pointed in their questioning over the usual issues (shadows, wind, what zoning mechanism will be used as its an air rights development and not technicially under city laws), nobody raised their voice, and the overall tone was one of agreement.

Of course this was just the first meeting, so perhaps the NIMBYs will come to the next round with M16s and the like. But for now most people seemed to support what they saw.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 12:45 AM
Posting Quick Reply

wow, what a cool looking building. some buildings are beautiful, but this one just looks cool. very boston.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 8:30 AM

I made it to the liberry this weekend and checked out the Project Notification Form:

NOTE: The 569 feet measure is just to the top of the occupiable floors. The height to the top of the structure is actually 625'-8"....so 626 feet is what we're actually dealing with. Could a Mod update the thread title?

fourth floor:

fifth floor:

sixth floor, residential sky lobby:

looking east:

and looking north:

Shadow study, this one for the winter solstice at 12 PM.

I have a full set of shots of the shadow studies, so anyone wants to see the rest speak up and I'll post them.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 2:23 PM
Go Saxons!!

Looks like a very nice building and a good addition to the skyline

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 1:06 AM
Here we stAy

Slick lookin' tower.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 6:51 AM

It's attractive but small, and it's not actually located in downtown.

For the times being what they are (economically speaking) this is probably the best Boston can hope for. However, I really, REALLY wish they'd make some kind of a move on a supertall that the FAA couldn't nix.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive