HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovativethinking View Post
Did you see the area before the development? Lower East Burnside is much better and more livelier than its ever been
This.

Also, "Johnny come lately transplants"? Portland was founded it 1845, was basically a small to mid-sized town for the first 50+ years and has gained 200,000 people since 1990. Unless you are part of the Chinook tribe, we are all essentially "johnny come lately transplants."

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Walch View Post
This.

Also, "Johnny come lately transplants"? Portland was founded it 1845, was basically a small to mid-sized town for the first 50+ years and has gained 200,000 people since 1990. Unless you are part of the Chinook tribe, we are all essentially "johnny come lately transplants."
thats about 180 years and people dont know where oregon is still.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 12:24 AM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
[QUOTE=RainDog;7956628]Yeah this area used to be happening. So many memories. We used to go hang out in the vacant lot where the dumbbell is now. It really was the best place in Portland to sit and watch traffic go by. We would get trashed on whatever we could convince the local junkies to buy for us from the plaid pantry, then stumble home with only the neon light of the united finance sign to guide us. Years later I proposed to my wife at the used auto wholesaler across the street. Stuck the ring in the tailpipe of a '02 Buick Century, I will never forget the look on her face as she reached down there. Her face lit up with the light of a passing semi. I couldn't hear her response over the deafening rumble, but her lips made the unmistakable shape of "I do". Many times since then we would walk hand in hand past Fishel's furniture and comment how "we should really go in there some day" and though it would always remain as no more than an intention, it was empowering to know that we had the choice to buy patio furniture without having to support a corporate retail chain, but that was.....

Hilarious! Good short-story writing skills.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovativethinking View Post
Did you see the area before the development? Lower East Burnside is much better and more livelier than its ever been
Yes, I worked in the central eastside for most of the 2000s. It was plenty lively back then. The bridgehead had so much potential, but all we've gotten is shitty architecture most of the city despises and a surf shop that will inevitably close within a few years. The Home Depot they threatened to build would have been an improvement over the clusterfuck of garbage buildings there now.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelBoy View Post
The Home Depot they threatened to build would have been an improvement over the clusterfuck of garbage buildings there now.
is there an urban planning equivalent to Godwin's Law?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 3:37 PM
Semi-Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
is there an urban planning equivalent to Godwin's Law?
I think this is about as close as you could get

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 2:04 AM

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelBoy View Post
Yes, I worked in the central eastside for most of the 2000s. It was plenty lively back then. The bridgehead had so much potential, but all we've gotten is shitty architecture most of the city despises and a surf shop that will inevitably close within a few years. The Home Depot they threatened to build would have been an improvement over the clusterfuck of garbage buildings there now.
I think there are a couple good buildings there. bSide, Slate, and I'll include Dumbell with reservations. Doug Fir is fine. There are also some stinkers. Yard, Linden. I'm disappointed that the design/development community and the city aren't consistently implanting the arcade pattern.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 8:47 PM

Notice of a Pre-Application Conference for 234-236 SE Grand Ave.

Notice of a Pre-Application Conference for 203 NE Grand Ave.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 4:24 AM

^^ Both of those links are bad fyi.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 8:09 AM

How weird. They worked yesterday.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 8:00 PM

The Pre-Apps were both held on the 19th (I was a bit late in posting them). The links used to work after the meeting was held, but maybe they've changed their policy.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 6:31 AM

ODOT Blocks

From Prosper Portland

http://prosperportland.us/prosper-po...r-odot-blocks/

Quote:

Prosper Portland releases RFP for ODOT blocks

Qualified developers are invited to submit proposals to redevelop three parcels in Southeast Portland recently purchased by Prosper Portland from the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT), collectively known as the ODOT Blocks. The property is on SE Water Avenue between SE Taylor Street and SE Madison Street in the Central Eastside Urban Renewal Area (CES URA).

A primary goal for the development is to achieve an industrial mixed-use project that includes ground floor industrial space, preferably with an affordability component; ground floor retail space; and industrial or industrial office space on upper floors to maximize employment. Proposals are due Wednesday, February 28, 2018.
Click to access RFP

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 8:56 PM

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 11:35 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Took these the other day, thought I'd post them. Pics of around Burnside Bridgehead and Dumbbell.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 7:11 AM

This is becoming a pretty cool area. The Dumbbell is striking. Slate is gorgeous. The Aura is okay and continues the arcade pattern. BSide is wonderful. The Jupiter addition . . . I hope covering it with asphalt roof tile is somehow transformational. Further out, the Delta is going to be striking. The two on Burnside at 14th will be, um, big. Then the $64,000 question is 5 MLK. Can it rescue the bridgehead from the Yard?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 5:47 PM

Notice of a Type II Proposal for The Vivian - KEX Portland at 110 NE MLK.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 9:37 PM

Nice to see this little building get some life breathed into it. It looks like it's about to crumble to the ground right now. In fact, I'm surprised that they're able to install the weight of a green roof on top without structural/seismic upgrades (unless I missed that part of the proposal).

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 10:42 PM

They probably are required to do a seismic upgrade, but it's just not listed as it's not subject to design review.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Notice of a Type II Proposal for The Vivian - KEX Portland at 110 NE MLK.
Judging by the signage proposed, this is going to be a branch of Icelandic hostel KEX (who proposed on the Grove Hotel back in 2014).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland