HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 10:07 PM

No Real Summer = More Walking = More Photos = [ST. LOUIS]

A random set of Android phone pictures from around St. Louis. There have been exactly 0 days this summer with triple-digit temperatures, so that means there has been tons of aimless walking and photo-taking. Hope you enjoy the pictures from some of the walks!

01. Laclede's Landing warehouses and the Arch, as seen from the Four Seasons Hotel's rooftop patio.

02. A pair of Central West End houses:

03. A feline resident of the "Manhattan Mews" development in the Central West End goes for a stroll:

04. Wide skyline shot taken from south of Downtown:

05. Lafayette Square:

06. A traditional Arch shot (south leg):

07. This building, in the resurgent Old North St. Louis neighborhood, is about to undergo stabilization:

08. LaSalle Park

09. Downtown - near the Eagleton Courthouse:

10. Shrine of St. Joseph, Columbus Square -- the site of a Vatican-approved miracle.

11. 1980s-era housing in Columbus Square

12. A LaSalle Park beauty:

13. And...another LaSalle Park (similar) beauty:

14. Yet another LaSalle Park building. Obviously was once mixed use, but has been converted into apartments:

15. LaSalle Park streetscape

16. At the brand new Anheuser-Busch biergarten in Soulard:

17. A rehab of a mixed use building in the Benton Park neighborhood:

18. A recently completed rehab in Old North St. Louis:

19. The Armory in Midtown -- sadly, now featuring all too convenient views of Highway 40 / I-64.

20. The suburban-esque Kingsbury Square development, housed within the otherwise very urban Skinker-DeBaliviere neighborhood:

21. The view from a recent loft party Downtown:

22. More Arch.

23. Underneath the Arch is the American Zinc Building, a small but visually striking mid-century modern building:

23. Historically-sensitive infill in the Lafayette Square neighborhood:

24. The Arch at ground level, viewed from Laclede's Landing.

25. A somewhat grainy shot of three downtown (or downtown adjacent) bridges: the 1875 Eads Bridge; the 1951 Martin Luther King Bridge; and the under-construction Stan Musial-Veterans Memorial Bridge.

26. Infill in the Bohemian Hill neighborhood that may, believe it or not, be threatened with demolition a dozen years after the buildings' completion:

27. Colorful mansard roof in Bohemian Hill:

28. Lafayette Square:

29. More Lafayette Square:

30. You guessed it -- Lafayette Square:

31. Row houses in Lafayette Square:

32. A Romanesque building in Lafayette Square with a dramatic arched entryway. A twin building sits across the street.

33. Views from the new St. Louis University Law School building (located downtown) are shown below:

34. Looking south and west at the Civic Center: City Hall, Municipal Courts, and Peabody Opera House:

35. Looking north and east into the heart of Downtown:

36. Looking due east at the Arch. The much-reviled Serra sculpture (titled "Twain") is the triangular arrangement.

37. Looking west-northwest at the recently rehabbed Park Pacific Apartments:

38. The Fox Park neighborhood - an up-and-coming neighborhood just southwest of Downtown:

39. More Fox Park streetscapes:

40. One of my favorite residential rows in the City (also in Fox Park):

41. More Fox Park:

42. Just west of Fox Park is the Tower Grove East neighborhood:

43. A bed and breakfast on Compton in Tower Grove East (TGE):

44. More TGE:

45. A Fox Park streetscape. The building with the blue trim was very recently boarded up and not looking so good. Nice transformation, and in short time, too!

46. In the Benton Park neighborhood, early on Saturday morning:

47. A cool Benton Park corner building under a long, slow rehab:

48. A long-boarded up building next to the popular and quirky Venice Cafe in Benton Park. It recently received a coat of minty green paint:

49. And here is Venice Cafe, a Benton Park landmark famous for its crazy, art-glass patio:

50. Benton Park streetscape:

51. More Benton Park:

52. Benton Park corner:

53. More Benton Park:

54. Benton Park rehab underway:

55. ...which is located next to a recently completed Benton Park rehab:

56. On Arsenal in Benton Park:

57. This corner bar in Benton Park was hopping at ~9am on a Saturday. It is famous for serving third shift employees at A-B and other nearby industrial sites.

58. On Illinois Avenue just east of Benton Park (the park) -- yours for $350,000.

59. Also on Illinois Ave. These could be your neighbors:

60. On Arsenal:

61. A row of homes on Salena in Benton Park, built up later than most of the surrounding houses:

62. A "guard octopus" on a mail slot in Benton Park:

63. Benton Park corner:

64. More Benton Park:

65. Moving onto a new neighborhood...Benton Park West, which is thankfully usually abbreviated to BPW. I was on the Rehabbers Club Tour of BPW, where we saw 5 homes, some completed, some down to the studs.

66. BPW Streetscape, with the distant St. Anthony's church barely visible in the background:

67. One of the houses on the tour:

68. Another BPW streetscape:

69. A neat row in BPW:

70. A local artist painted every single fire hydrant in BPW with the colors of the St. Louis flag. Here is one example:

71. Back to the tour...this is a former bar that was closed down when a murder occurred there 20 years ago. It has been vacant since. It is now being rehabbed into three residential units.

72. A shot of a pair of houses on Wyoming Street in BPW:

73. BPW streetscape with a corner building in need of rehab:

74. One of my favorite corner mixed use buildings in BPW, sadly vacant. It's across the street from an active rehab -- maybe its next?

75. This is its neighbor from across the street, bought by an out of town investor for $30,000 and now under rehab into 5 residential units. The non-matching windows are the mistake of a swindling contractor that has since been fired from the project (the things you learn while on a rehabber tour!).

76. Benton Park proper, facing the park:

77. Brick detailing in BPW -- whose face is that?

78. Light rehab work in Benton Park:

79. More Benton Park:

80. An old section of Benton Park with row houses that feature "mousehole" gangways:

81. A break from the red brick South Side of St. Louis -- this shot is of the bustling Delmar Loop, which straddles suburban University City and the very western edge of the City of St. Louis:

82. A cool business with a cool sign on the Loop:

83. And now back to Benton Park:

84. Benton Park streetscape, on Sidney Street:

85. Soulard -- St. Louis's oldest neighborhood, located just east of Benton Park.

86. Rearview of a BPW street:

87. A block-long mural on a construction wall in the Loop:

88. St. Louis Hills - a vastly different neighborhood than any other pictured above. Built up mostly in the 1930s and 1940s, it is St. Louis City's "newest" neighborhood:

89. Awesome art deco in Grand Center:

90. The Ashley Street Power House just north of the Arch:

91. A streetscape in Lafayette Square:

Hope you enjoyed!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 12:10 AM
Rock'N'Roll Warlord

I most definitely enjoyed. Thanks and good stuff!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 12:44 AM

Nice photos and what appear to be cool neighborhoods. I am curious though as one constantly sees St. Louis near the top in crime stats just how safe are these neighborhoods? And is all the crime concentrated in different areas and if so where?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East72nd View Post
Nice photos and what appear to be cool neighborhoods. I am curious though as one constantly sees St. Louis near the top in crime stats just how safe are these neighborhoods? And is all the crime concentrated in different areas and if so where?
This map may be useful. It is a map of homicides aggregated from 2005-2012 in each of the city's 79 official neighborhoods. It was created by nextSTL [see the related article].

While homicide is only one crime, it is a good indicator of where other (less serious) crimes occur as well. (Note also that this map does not calculate homicide rate -- some of these neighborhoods have very small populations and therefore higher murder rates).

Most of these pictures were taken in Benton Park (a relatively safe and quiet neighborhood, ranked #46 on the map) and Benton Park West (considerably poorer and higher crime, but improving slowly, ranked #20 on the map). St. Louis's poverty rate is very high (~27%), but this metric obviously varies from neighborhood to neighborhood. In general, the neighborhoods in the left column on the above image would be considered relatively "safe".

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 1:19 AM
St. Louis. Bitch.

I honestly feel sorry for people who don't live in St. Louis. My city is an original, authentic, unpretentious, unfiltered, raw, red brick bitch. And isn't she lovely. Anyone who doesn't know St. Louis--- do yourselves a favor and explore this, what was for over 120 years, among America's 10 largest and wealthiest cities. They will never build another city like it, and we should all feel so honored to share a nation with this most amazing metropolis of almost 3 million lucky motherfuckers. I love my city. Outstanding thread.

To answer the question about crime-- St. Louis is as safe as any major city in America. There are some horrible neighborhoods, but by and large, it is as safe as anywhere. Crime stats do not account for distribution/concentration. They make the whole city sound bad. This is a wonderful place to live, and most neighborhoods are totally livable and oozing with awesomeness and soul.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 1:28 AM

Ask and yea shall receive. Outstanding map and answers my questions, Cheers!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 3:18 PM
Red brick mama.

DAMN!!!! Nice one, Matt. And you even got a pic of my friend Eric's house!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JivecitySTL View Post
I honestly feel sorry for people who don't live in St. Louis. My city is an original, authentic, unpretentious, unfiltered, raw, red brick bitch. And isn't she lovely. Anyone who doesn't know St. Louis--- do yourselves a favor and explore this, what was for over 120 years, among America's 10 largest and wealthiest cities. They will never build another city like it, and we should all feel so honored to share a nation with this most amazing metropolis of almost 3 million lucky motherfuckers. I love my city. Outstanding thread.

To answer the question about crime-- St. Louis is as safe as any major city in America. There are some horrible neighborhoods, but by and large, it is as safe as anywhere. Crime stats do not account for distribution/concentration. They make the whole city sound bad. This is a wonderful place to live, and most neighborhoods are totally livable and oozing with awesomeness and soul.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 5:39 PM

So much red bricks... I'll always be astonished at the amount of burning red bricks in the English-speaking world. This is clearly one of the few places that make it look the best indeed. It's just apparently so carefully preserved in every thread of it.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 12:14 AM

Great city. These tours are a wonderful way of attracting and securing interested parties for future rehabs. Excellent, thanks for the info. 30 grand for that house. Wow. I see real derelict houses go for ten times that here.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 6:03 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

all i have to say about this thread is BLA-OW!!!

i do wish Venice Cafe would fix their upstairs windows. those board-ups look like sh*t. and it's been like that for years, hasn't it? how does that pass code?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 6:32 PM

^I think the eclectic owner likes it that way. He is quite a unique individual, in a good way!

Nice thread, thanks!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 7:02 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

cool views around town here -- i love pouring over stl!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 11:36 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Nice set of photos.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Nice set of photos.
^ Thanks! I am headed to your fair city in a few days -- for the first time. I'm very jazzed about that. Look for an SFO thread from me soon... (assuming your profile is correct and you're in San Francisco and not Flint, MI!)

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 3:46 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

nice thread. i may be a soulard or benton park resident in the near future.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 4:12 PM

This is a really awesome set--thank you for putting this all together.

This perspective is striking:

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 5:02 PM
Editor

Nice pics!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
nice thread. i may be a soulard or benton park resident in the near future.
Oh really now?

One bad thing about renting in Soulard is that its renaissance occurred mostly in the early 1980s--the nadir of interior (and perhaps exterior) design. Some of the apartments haven't been substantially updated since. So you have to grin and bear lots of beige carpeting, awkwardly placed mirrors, white particle board-looking cabinetry with khaki trim, and oversized "studio" light bulbs in bathrooms.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos