HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 5:56 PM

It's very important

A good read on the history

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/...d-canadas-best

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 10:32 PM
ハルウララ

Yeah, the actual background history of the Voyageurs Cup itself is really neat and not enough people know about it. I'm glad the CSA has continued allowing volunteers and supporters to support the trophy and hand it out annually. Canadian Championship is only going to grow and become a bigger deal in the future.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 1:11 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

This should be interesting. A nice change from hockey, and basketball is very popular with our whole skeet underclass.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ohns-1.4185733

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 1:18 PM

Interesting development seeing as a few weeks ago the NBL said the deal was dead since Mile One wanted all revenues from concession sales AND advertisements. Profit from ticket sales alone wouldn't make the team feasible, so I guess something changed.

I probably won't go see a game, but it's a good move. Wonder what dumb name this team will get though

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 1:53 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Probably Sun Lattes.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 4:13 PM

I feel like this is a disaster waiting to happen.

St. John's couldn't support the QMJHL, which had unpaid players, with about 1000 fans per game. I have real doubts that basketball will draw more than 500 per game after the first night. Maybe that's totally off base and out of touch, but I don't see skeets ponying up $20 to go to a basketball game when there's a food court to hang out in at the Village.

My money would be on this team not making it through the season. Player salaries, inflated travel costs, questionable stadium terms (most likely), are going to put this thing behind the 8-ball before it even gets off the ground.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 4:26 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

They started strong, with over 6,000 per game. But it dropped over the years. I don't believe down to 1,000, though? Wasn't it 3,000 at its worst, after the rumours were already flying they'd be moved anyway?

As for whether basketball will work... I doubt it. But we should be able to keep Mile One at least open for a couple of years out of it.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
They started strong, with over 6,000 per game. But it dropped over the years. I don't believe down to 1,000, though? Wasn't it 3,000 at its worst, after the rumours were already flying they'd be moved anyway?

As for whether basketball will work... I doubt it. But we should be able to keep Mile One at least open for a couple of years out of it.
I'm talking about the Fog Devils. I went to the 2nd last home game, it was in the playoffs against Bathurst and the announced attendance was about 1200. The IceCaps in the AHL were a bigger draw right down to the end and managed to stay above 3000 for the most part. There's something about sports fans out there, like they've been spoiled by the AHL and aren't willing to compromise for something else. Maybe next time around will go better if they get a chance.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 4:40 AM
Go Chiefs!

Milos Raonic is off the QF in Wimbledon after winning a heated affair with Alexander Zverev.

Milos impressed me once again. I though he was for sure done after losing the 3rd set.

Roger Federer next on Wednesday! Federer is playing one the best tennis of his career (at 35, soon to be 36!!!) so the Canadian will have to elevate his game even more.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 8:37 PM

The AHL schedule was released today and included were two new Canadian teams that I had totally forgotten about... the Belleville Senators and the Laval Rocket.

So there we go, two new pro hockey teams in Canada.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The AHL schedule was released today and included were two new Canadian teams that I had totally forgotten about... the Belleville Senators and the Laval Rocket.

So there we go, two new pro hockey teams in Canada.
Not the pro hockey teams I was hoping to see - two more NHL teams in Quebec City and southern Ontario - but I will take it. Isn't Laval moving from St. John's?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 9:40 PM

^ You're probably right, now that you mention it I do seem to recall that the Rocket is the team that was formerly the IceCaps. So I guess we're only up one team.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 4:49 AM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Milos Raonic is off the QF in Wimbledon after winning a heated affair with Alexander Zverev.

Milos impressed me once again. I though he was for sure done after losing the 3rd set.

Roger Federer next on Wednesday! Federer is playing one the best tennis of his career (at 35, soon to be 36!!!) so the Canadian will have to elevate his game even more.
Well, Roger teached Milos a lesson about what perfect tennis looks like.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 8:06 PM

Ljubljana, the 2016 tour champions, won the first ever FIBA 3x3 basketball World tour stop in Canada this last weekend, against the home city team Saskatoon. The Saskatoon team remained undefeated until the Final game against Ljubljana in the tournament.

http://thestarphoenix.com/sports/loc...-masters-event

Video Link

Saskatoon will be the loan stop for Canada in hosting the FIBA 3x3 World tour next year and in 2019 before the Tokyo Olympics in 2020.

The hot weather would have played a factor in the event this last weekend with temperatures each day exceeding +30℃, in addition the night time temperature in Saskatoon didn't go below +22℃ Saturday night (the hottest over night temperature yet this year in Canada for 2017)

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/...atoon/historic

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 3:31 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Calgary city council votes to continue exploring 2026 Olympics bid

Canadian Press August 3, 2017, 12:27 AM

Calgary city council has voted to continuing exploring a potential bid for the 2026 Winter Olympics.

The Calgary Bid Exploration Committee presented council Wednesday with an option not to move forward with the bid, and another option to keep exploring potential funding opportunities.

Council endorsed the second choice, saying it would provide the city’s administration with the time to investigate potential solutions "that could help reduce the city’s risks" associated with a bid.

The city says that regardless of whether a bid goes forward, the exploration committee’s work has provided valuable information about the costs of sustaining or upgrading Calgary’s 1988 Olympic facilities.

The 17-member committee chaired by former Calgary police chief Rick Hanson has said that while it’s feasible for the 1988 Olympics host city to have another turn, more work is needed to determine if it would be prudent.

When the bid exploration group was formed, it expected a September deadline for the city to decide on a bid, but the International Olympic Committee has since extended the invitation phase for 2026 bids, meaning the city has another year to mull it over.

The committee told city council last month that the price tag to hold the 2026 Games would be about $4.6 billion.

It said the Games would generate almost half that in revenue, but another $2.4 billion would be needed.

The 2010 Winter Games in Vancouver and Whistler, B.C., cost $7.7 billion.

Calgary’s estimate is lower in part because the city could reuse venues from the 1988 Winter Games.

Sion, Switzerland, and Innsbruck, Austria, are among Calgary’s potential rivals for a 2026 bid.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/olympics/cal...-olympics-bid/

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 2:09 AM
Go Chiefs!

Denis Shapovalov is off to the 3rd round of the Rogers Cup. Only 18 and so talented!!! Canada's future in tennis is extremely bright.

Meanwhile Milos Raonic lost.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 3:53 AM
Go Chiefs!

Insane win over Nadal!!!

The atmosphere at Stade Uniprix was unlike anything you see.
Video Link

The kid is soooo good.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 3:01 PM

With the Eskimos undefeated and the Oilers being solid contenders for the first time in forever, I am putting everyone on notice that I officially hate Edmonton again

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 4:12 PM

Quote:
With the Eskimos undefeated and the Oilers being solid contenders for the first time in forever, I am putting everyone on notice that I officially hate Edmonton again
I never stopped.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 6:49 PM

Quote:
With me, they had a slight reprieve from my wrath when they fired Hervey, but winning like they are now can make a team quite unlikable.

Strange, I really like the REDBLACKS but they haven't seemed to have got much traction outside Ottawa, so I hear. They play exciting football, have good ownership and support, what's not to like.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada