HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Also I just noticed Mission is greyed out in the map... is it generally not considered part of Vancouver? I always thought it was...
Mission is part of Abborsford CMA and Abbotsford population centre.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Headingly was part of Winnipeg, took a vote to leave, and left! (And haven't looked back)
Hahaha, that's right! They sure did.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 8:37 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by YannickTO View Post
Amazing post. Wish you could do the same drawing for all other potential cities mentioned, with the population (could you add the sq km?) ...

Nice. It's time for Vancouver to join the big leagues. I'd give it Richmond to cross the 1M mark
Unfortunately I just don't know enough about other cities to do things like this. I've had this drawing on my computer for a while, so I just threw it up to help explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuzika View Post
The Vancouver area would stand to use some amalgamations, but I'm wondering if your proposed Surrey might be a little too big and spread out? What about North Delta/North Surrey (called Surrey), South Surrey/White Rock (called White Rock) and Cloverdale/the Langleys (called Langley)?
I've thought about that too, but given how spread out the are already, I fugred it would work for my example for now. Surrey already has most of the "White Rock area," while Langley has Aldergrove which is really far. I like your idea, but I wouldn't know what to do with Aldergrove, and how to split up the farmland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Can only imagine the shitfit Langleyites would have after realizing they are now part of Surrey.

I am completely anti-north shore amalgamation. CNV has nothing in common with DNV and West Van, you can say goodbye to any liberal progressive pro-density voice on the north shore if that were to happen.
North Delta would have a shitfit being lumped in with Surrey too. The name is toxic. But as far as lines on a map goes, it just makes sense.

I anticipated you responding, and so made sure to include that disclaimer about not knowing anything about the North Shore specifically for you hahah. I agree with you if that's the case; an urban mindset cannot be lost through amalgamation. It's why I wouldn't merge Coquitlam into Vancouver.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Can only imagine the shitfit Langleyites would have after realizing they are now part of Surrey.

I am completely anti-north shore amalgamation. CNV has nothing in common with DNV and West Van, you can say goodbye to any liberal progressive pro-density voice on the north shore if that were to happen.

You're absolutely right. Langley's my hometown and it actually irked me as soon as I got to the part of the post where Langley became part of Surrey. Realistically though, my biggest problem with such an amalgamation would be the fact that Surrey would then have more leverage to push for at-grade LRT down the Fraser Highway instead of Skytrain.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 10:23 PM

Vancouver Burnaby and New Westminster should all just be Vancouver.

North Delta and Surrey.

The North Vancouver's and West Vancouver should also be merged, and merge the tri cities into just coquitlam.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 10:26 PM

Why should they all just be Vancouver? Even if Airdrie becomes connected to Calgary I don't want to live "in" Calgary. Never have never will.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Agreed. The last thing the City of North Van needs is some old suburbanites from Caulfeild telling them not to densify because it will make their commute over the bridge 48 seconds longer.

Just because it looks good on a map doesn't mean it makes any sense politically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Also I just noticed Mission is greyed out in the map... is it generally not considered part of Vancouver? I always thought it was...
Like Yannick noted, Anything east of Langley/Maple Ridge is not part of Matro Vancouver, but part of Abbotsford. It's kinda like the Barrie situation in Toronto, where Barrie isn't part of the GTA but it really should be given its dependence on the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
Why should they all just be Vancouver? Even if Airdrie becomes connected to Calgary I don't want to live "in" Calgary. Never have never will.
Well there are a lot of pros and cons to the uni-city approach. We saw some of the cons in Toronto's election of Mayor Ford, yet we see some of the cons in the multi-city in Vancouver's latest transportation plebiscite.

It's really all about what works best for each individual region. For the time being the multi-city approach works best for Metro Vancouver, though it's not perfect.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 8:08 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
I anticipated you responding, and so made sure to include that disclaimer about not knowing anything about the North Shore specifically for you hahah. I agree with you if that's the case; an urban mindset cannot be lost through amalgamation. It's why I wouldn't merge Coquitlam into Vancouver.
Heh, if anything, the logical border is between South North Van and North North Van, from Lions Gate to Ironworkers, if we're grouping people on values instead of how pretty it looks on a map. Those would be some great municipality names too.

West Van and North North Van could amalgamate, but West Vancouverites wouldn't like being associated with people whose houses are only worth $3 million.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 4:11 PM

Well since the OP said forget the politics etc so in that spirit here goes. I am surprised nobody said the big one to merge. I would merge Gatineau into Ottawa. It works for Lloydminster as it is a single municipality in 2 provinces so why not here. Make the National Capital Region as one.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
This was habfanman's schtick until the forum got tired of it a few years ago. You could look up his posts to see where he took it. Maybe you can bring something new to the game.
It is habsmanfan. He even made the Cleveland comparison.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big W View Post
Well since the OP said forget the politics etc so in that spirit here goes. I am surprised nobody said the big one to merge. I would merge Gatineau into Ottawa. It works for Lloydminster as it is a single municipality in 2 provinces so why not here. Make the National Capital Region as one.
I know of very few people in both Ottawa and Gatineau who would support that. Neither provincial government would want it. Plus, Quebec won't give ANY land to the federal government under any circumstance.

I know when the idea came up in the past it was quickly shot down because Gatineau is a near bastion of "NON" votes in a potential sovereignty referendum in Quebec. If Gatineau wasn't part of Quebec during the 1995 referendum, the "OUI" side would have won.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 4:12 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
I know of very few people in both Ottawa and Gatineau who would support that. Neither provincial government would want it. Plus, Quebec won't give ANY land to the federal government under any circumstance.

I know when the idea came up in the past it was quickly shot down because Gatineau is a near bastion of "NON" votes in a potential sovereignty referendum in Quebec. If Gatineau wasn't part of Quebec during the 1995 referendum, the "OUI" side would have won.
Even most people in Gatineau would not go for that, unless they were given a certain number of guarantees that would be non-starters for many people in Ottawa.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 6:00 AM

Etobicoke, York, North York, East York, and Scarborough should be separated from Toronto and merged with 905 municipalities: Etobicoke with Mississauga; York and North York west of Yonge with Vaughan; North York east of Yonge with Markham; East York and Scarborough with Pickering.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 1:14 PM
Montérégien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The re-mergers of Montreal island and of Quebec City are no-brainers to me, though I doubt they'll happen.

Here's what I would envision for a re-unified Montreal island. A city of 2 011 778 inhabitants*, composed of 15 strong and relatively equal boroughs / arrondissements.

*All the population data is from Québec's Ministère des Affaires municipales et de l'Organisation du territoire 2017 population decree, for July 1, 2016.

The list of boroughs and populations could go as follows :

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 2:07 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laceoflight View Post
Here's what I would envision for a re-unified Montreal island. A city of 2 011 778 inhabitants*, composed of 15 strong and relatively equal boroughs / arrondissements.

*All the population data is from Québec's Ministère des Affaires municipales et de l'Organisation du territoire 2017 population decree, for July 1, 2016.

The list of boroughs and populations could go as follows :
Une île, une ville. Fantastique!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 3:37 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Etobicoke, York, North York, East York, and Scarborough should be separated from Toronto and merged with 905 municipalities: Etobicoke with Mississauga; York and North York west of Yonge with Vaughan; North York east of Yonge with Markham; East York and Scarborough with Pickering.

...why?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada