HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
There's this Andrew Bird fella who is quite prolific, totally uncalculated, and not imitative of anything I can pick out. He is sort of Chicago's answer to our Patrick Watson.
other way around. bird has been active longer than watson.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 2:38 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Kanye has been on a downward trajectory ever since his mother died and he joined the Kardashian clan. With that said, the biggest media sensation out of Chicago now is the whole, "drill" hip-hop scene and the associated Chiraq moniker.
808s and Heartbreak and Graduation were Kanye's best albums. The man does make good music.

Video Link

Anywho, I've lived in Chicago for 2.5 years. I like it well enough. Not a fan of how segregated this city is though. Nor the perennial state of construction. Nor how boastful native Chicagoans tend to act when it comes to Chicago stuff. 'THIS IS THE BEST ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH EVER!!!'

Though the Blackhawks are cool. Guess there's that.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 4:25 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
Nor the perennial state of construction..
^ You had me until this point.

I LOVE Chicago's perennial state of construction. It's what we celebrate here on these forums: construction here, construction there, construction everywhere!

While this was said long ago by Mark Twain, it still kind of holds true today (although not as dramatic):

"It is hopeless for the occasional visitor to try to keep up with Chicago-she outgrows his prophecies faster than he can make them. She is always a novelty; for she is never the Chicago you saw when you passed through the last time." — Mark Twain

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 10:14 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
NOTHING is cool about Chicago. Chicago is boring and it sucks. Peoria is waaayyyyayyyy cooler.

New York #1. New York is the best. Chicago is a small town compared to New York. Chicago would fit inside Central Park. NYC!! People who can't handle how big and cool New York is move to Chicago because they're pussies. Chicago is for uncool pussies. The only thing that's cool about Chicago is the dirty Lake Michigan water -- actually, it's not cool, it's freezing. No wonder the beach there is full of nothing but pale, fat people. New York is full of beautiful people. New York has all of the tallest buildings in the WORLD. It's not cool to be from Chicago. The name Chicago sound like some sort of nasty skin condition. New York is the only city that matters in the USA. No one cares about Chicago because it's not cool like NYC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
Chicago is so cool you could stand on the roof of the Sears Tower and piss on any building in New York...if you were so inclined and had really good distance and accuracy.
New York will be pissing down on Chicago soon enough...

But seriously, why is this thread even open??? I hardly come into City Discussions, and this is what I find.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 3:50 PM

If you grow up in a sprawl place like I have with no transit, nothing to walk to, only big box stores, chain restaurants... Chicago is a revelation from the heavens. Everyone from my hometown that I've shown Chicago to has the same experience and hates our hometown. I wish I grew up in a place that everyone loves, but that's not the case. Sorry, but you do get a mania as a new convert to a new way of life.

My friends Dad is a development planner and he said, Chicago is well know nationally in the planning industry as an example of excellent planning.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 4:03 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I agree, Chicago is very conservative in layout and architectural design in a way that few if any cities in this country are, but the massive scale of the city gives off a sense of gravity and grandness that isn't seen anywhere in the U.S. except New York. I've always joked with people that walking through the Loop is like being in a scene of the Matrix, everybody is just walking straight ahead in their business attire, no smiles, no frowns, just blank stares, juxtaposed with speeding cars flying through skyscraper canyons. Overall, the city just gives off a very corporate, "We mean business" vibe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByTheBay View Post
I noticed the Matrix metaphor as well.
Of course the creators of the Matrix are from the Chicago area. And if you watch the Matrix they use Chicago place names for many streets and stations. And that's partially why Chicago is used in Jupiter Ascending and Sense8.

Unrelated except by way of movies, Christopher Nolan split his time growing up between London and Chicago - I'm sure that heavily influenced his decision to film two of his Batman films here.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j korzeniowski View Post
other way around. bird has been active longer than watson.

Yes, you are right.

Either way, to answer the O.P.: I suppose Chicago is way cooler in january.

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions