HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 12:33 PM

Speaking of energy, this was a nice feather in the cap for Utah.

Utah earns 'A' for energy policies and practices

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...practices.html

SALT LAKE CITY — Utah joined Massachusetts as one of only two states to earn "A" grades in a national report card that assesses policies and practices that help energy consumers more easily "plug in" to renewable energy resources...

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 6:40 PM

very cool!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 8:22 PM
Lurker

Change Day

UTA is changing their routes on December 12th, 2010.

http://www.rideuta.com/ridingUTA/rou...s/default.aspx

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 2:03 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post
UTA is changing their routes on December 12th, 2010.

http://www.rideuta.com/ridingUTA/rou...s/default.aspx
Those pesky U of U students must have done something to keep the University Line in tact going through down town SLC. And I'm really glad for that fact!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 10:54 AM

Good News -- Delta's SLC to Tokyo route is slated to switch from summer only service to year-round once it resumes again in May or June. Additionally, instead of serving the route 5 times a week like this past summer, the route will operate every day in the summer and then go to 5 times a week in the winter! The route performed very well this year.

SLC-Paris continues to do well and service will remain as is (operate year-round with daily service in the summer, 5 flights a week in the winter).

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 1:21 PM

Excellent news Skyguy. This can only be a harbinger for future expanded service to other destinations. Hopefully, Amsterdam is not too far off into the future.

What sort of skuttlebutt are you hearing lately about the next non-stop destination?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 5:51 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy414 View Post
Good News -- Delta's SLC to Tokyo route is slated to switch from summer only service to year-round once it resumes again in May or June. Additionally, instead of serving the route 5 times a week like this past summer, the route will operate every day in the summer and then go to 5 times a week in the winter! The route performed very well this year.

SLC-Paris continues to do well and service will remain as is (operate year-round with daily service in the summer, 5 flights a week in the winter).

That's great news.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 7:36 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
Those pesky U of U students must have done something to keep the University Line in tact going through down town SLC. And I'm really glad for that fact!
When my friends and I take TRAX downtown from the university, I make them tap on and off. You're welcome!!!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy414 View Post

Excellent! I wish it would start sooner though. I'm going to Taiwan in February and it would be so much nicer to transfer once in Tokyo rather than LA > Tokyo > Taiwan.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Excellent news Skyguy. This can only be a harbinger for future expanded service to other destinations. Hopefully, Amsterdam is not too far off into the future.

What sort of skuttlebutt are you hearing lately about the next non-stop destination?
Nothing else significant right now. I doubt any new overseas destinations will come in 2011. But this additional capacity to Tokyo is a major addition. Delta filled 95% of the seats in May and 97% of the seats in June on the Salt Lake to Tokyo route and 93% in May/98% in June from Tokyo to Salt Lake. For June in particular, the Tokyo to SLC leg had the highest load factor among any of the US airline's routes from Tokyo. Pretty impressive and goes to show why they upped capacity on the route.

This is all based on US DOT data (June is the most recent data currently available).

Last edited by skyguy414; Dec 13, 2010 at 11:06 AM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 1:31 PM

Thats awesome news for Utah and SLC international! question...Does anyone know what company makes the current design for traffic lights in Utah? If you notice, for some reason every states traffic lights look different. I know its a crazy question but ive always wondered..

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 12:33 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

I just wanted to add to what SLCdude took care of this month in documenting the progress of the N. Temple Viaduct.

Quote:
Some North Temple Viaduct construction pics...

City Creek relocation update:

My previous pictures:

The pictures I took today:

Old Posted Dec 16, 2010, 4:36 PM

If anybody is interested the architectural firm that designed the new TOD development in West Jordan at the 3200 West TRAX station has some elevations available on their website: http://www.arkarchitects.com/#/Projects
Just go to projects and then click on current projects. It's hard to tell from looking at the pictures exactly what the setup/design will be but it's definitely interesting and very dense for a community like West Jordan.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 3:12 AM
Lurker

I dropped a friend off at the airport the other day and saw TRAX construction running along I-80. I'm dying to see construction updates from any of the lines under construction.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 3:37 AM

Quote:
I dropped a friend off at the airport the other day and saw TRAX construction running along I-80. I'm dying to see construction updates from any of the lines under construction.
You may be aware of this already, but UTA is posting weekly construction updates on their website. You can also sign up for their mailing list to get the latest news and pics every week.
http://rideuta.com/projects/airportL...l/default.aspx

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 6:05 AM
Lurker

Thanks! I've seen that page before but haven't thought to check it lately.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 3:05 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

Salt Lake City awarded grant for downtown streetcar study

KSL
Quote:
SALT LAKE CITY — The Redevelopment Agency of Salt Lake City has been awarded a $470,000 federal grant to study options for a downtown streetcar system.

The Salt Lake City project was among 24 selected to receive a share of $25.7 million from the Federal Transit Administration. The funds will help Salt Lake City explore alignment options and operating concepts for a downtown streetcar system.

Mayor Ralph Becker said the funding allows Utah's capital city to take a "giant step" toward development of a streetcar system and provide more transit options for residents and visitors.

"With a daytime population that doubles every day, the City Creek development under way and the expansive growth of our downtown core in Salt Lake City, the timing of this funding to increase our transit options couldn't be better," Becker said in a news release.

Analysis of the streetcar system will be conducted by a technical advisory team that includes the city's divisions of transportation, engineering, housing and urban development, planning, sustainability and economic development, as well as the Utah Transit Authority.

The study area encompasses the section of downtown bordered by 500 East, 600 West, South Temple and 900 South.
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=13750661

Here is a quick illustration of the border in SLC in which the street car study will take place:

Here is a proposal cited from a previous Deseret News Article about the city asking for Federal Money to begin the downtown system.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ar-system.html

Last edited by s.p.hansen; Dec 22, 2010 at 3:44 AM.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 1:32 PM

UDOT hopes U-turn plan will ease Draper intersection congestion

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ongestion.html

DRAPER — Can U-turns cure severe congestion at one of the busiest intersections in the Salt Lake Valley? The Utah Department of Transportation thinks so.

It's planning an innovative overhaul at the intersection of 12300 South and State Street/Minuteman Drive in Draper...

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 5:48 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Phase two of the proposal will do wonders for expanding downtown to the south and the west, IMO. This is an area that has huge potential for highrise growth mixed with warehouses. I don't see much highrise growth happening further east than the east side of State and along 400 S, but the area to the South and West of the CBD has unlimited potential. I wouldn't be surprised to see a future arena or stadium built in the Granary district. The street car combined with the potential year round public market could really make this an exciting neighborhood.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 8:14 PM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post

Phase two of the proposal will do wonders for expanding downtown to the south and the west, IMO. This is an area that has huge potential for highrise growth mixed with warehouses. I don't see much highrise growth happening further east than the east side of State and along 400 S, but the area to the South and West of the CBD has unlimited potential. I wouldn't be surprised to see a future arena or stadium built in the Granary district. The street car combined with the potential year round public market could really make this an exciting neighborhood.
Having a Public Market and a Stadium in the Granary District would be awesome.

Future Mayor, what kind of stadium do you predict will be erected there?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West