HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 9:42 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1 View Post
Sure, why not. Katz was suppose to pave the parking lot, using HIS money, but he didn't want to pay the $59 bucks a square meter for the asphalt. He chose instead to let the gravel dust blow in the wind while him and his cronies found a sucker to do the dirty work for them (him).

Anything that will benefit Katz, he's all in favor of. Someone should start a Katz Thread and list all the bull shit Katz is involved in and bring it up at the next election.
How about the Great Canadian Shitty Mayors thread? Sam Katz and Rob Ford fit in there excellently.....

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 10:14 PM

Since it is clear that council will approve this thing another course of action must be taken.
Originally I was considering a lawsuit against Katz for a conflict of interest, but as I have been reminded I do not have the resources to make such a thing come to fruition. Lets be real I made 15 000 last year, and a private lawsuit is far beyond my reach. I had planned to drag the case long enough to make Canalta pull out. Thinking about this now, I can see this is an amateur move.
I have been hearing around me from most people who are in a field of development that this development will not even go through. How sure can we be of this? If we are not 100 percent sure we should get together to discuss an alternative course of action.
I for one am not going to sit by and go "oh well" on this one. Winnipeggers have sat by for too long and let our potential jewels go to waste because of mismanagement and political corruption. Something can and will be done with this, regardless of whether it will actually be built or not.
City councilors must come to the realization that they do not have the strings, and are not our puppet masters, and they cannot do whatever they wish regardless of the potential consequences of their actions.
I know we are all busy individuals, and it may be hard to come up with the time to meet together, however the cause is great enough where a few hours of free time should be arranged, and a course of action can be decided upon.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 12:25 AM
Transit Nerd

Thread of mayors made in Canada section.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 12:30 AM

What many people don't know if that this development at this site has been in play since the CanadInn proposal died. The secrecy surrounding the whole process is really lacking.

The owners of the BallPark, Mr. Katz, will profit if this development proceeds. The real estate value of the Ball Park will increase because of the improvements to the property (surface parking lot) next door. There will also be more foot / car traffic as a result, which will increase sales at the Ball Park. So there is a conflict of interest. Mr. Katz will gain financially if this development proceeds. This is fine. But he should be excused from the decision making.

The lack of details is a bit unnerving.

The fact that there is no area development plan, nor any predetermined design guidelines for the area tells me City Hall places no value in planning. The land use zoning plan is still ancient. So as a result, when development does come forward, there is a constant battle between the public and developers. So this means there is no greater thinking that takes place in truly understanding to create an exciting downtown, for Winnipeggers.

We have seen this approach for Main Street. Look at it now.

There is no trust in the process.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 3:24 AM

Bill Norrie, who was mayor when the first agreements were signed, said they knew they wanted a market, but beyond that the possibilities for the site were wide open. “ I think it has done extremely well through the years,” Norrie said. “ It was quite a major undertaking and some people wondered how it would work out… but I think it went great.” Norrie said what gratifies him most is how much The Forks has become a meeting place for Winnipeggers and a destination for tourists. “ It’s a real centre for people coming to visit,” he said. “ By and large it’s a really important part of Winnipeg.” There have been many proposals for the plot of land throughout the years including condos, an aquarium, a football stadium, and a water park. Jim August, who was general manager of the Core Area Initiative at the time The Forks began and is now chief executive officer of The Forks North Portage Partnership, said every building on the site when the land was turned over by the railroad has been redeveloped. “ People looking back today would say The Forks has evolved the way it should have,” he said. “ The area has met its vision — it is a meeting place. It has become the place where people go,” he said. Taken from, The Text Content on Page 21 of Winnipeg Free Press , September 6, 2008

It remarkable to note that 'they' wanted a football stadium there, but it was switched to a baseball park. The baseball park sits on a piece of land that was formally owned by David and Nettie Favor. There was a number of two story brick tenement homes that lined the North side of Pioneer built sometime in the 1920's, basically an eyesore to the passing public. The owners fought expropriation of their property in 1988, but lost in the end to the re-development of it.

I can remember Susan Thompson, then Mayor, speaking to Sam Katz at one of the meetings regarding his application to build a baseball park on the site. Sam apparently was inquiring about the monies that were to be forthcoming from the Federal, provincial and City coffers, so he could make his start on construction as he detailed in his proposal. Sam, in his wimpy little voice, asked the question, "When would the funds come available?", to which Susan glaringly turned towards Sam and responded, "Mr. Katz, the monies that have been allocated to this project will be available right after YOUR funds hit the table in these chambers and not a moment before. And when can we expect them?" Sam, stuttered and stammered, turn ten shades of red, and slowly melted in a pool behind the podium and slunk out of the chambers.

When they spoke about parking for the baseball park in the area, Sam made the suggestion that there was plenty. When question further, he suggested that there was an abundance of off-peak parking available from private parties, as well as vacant neighboring Forks property. Over the coming months, he gradually weaseled the City into allowing him use of the property across the street. During construction of the park, construction materials and workers used the property to park on. One day gravel appeared on it, and then sidewalks, curbs, lighting, and paved roads appeared also. My latest discovery the other day, was a circus. Gee, I wonder how that got parked there, did someone draw a permit?, didn't see one either. Someone from the City should be down there collecting City Amusement Tax, shouldn't they?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 4:04 PM
BANNED

Looks like the morons at city hall find it perfectly acceptable to spend $7 million in tax dollars on Sam's vision, a stinking water park.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...147932695.html

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 4:10 PM

Unanimous vote too.

I find Wyatt's comments offensive. He says it's a "privilege" to have a water park built in Winnipeg, so we should all just shut up.

Umm... aren't we giving CanAlta $7 million dollars to build this piece of crap? How are we privileged?

What a bunch or regressive morons at city hall.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 4:50 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Unanimous vote too.

I find Wyatt's comments offensive. He says it's a "privilege" to have a water park built in Winnipeg, so we should all just shut up.
Wow. The real privilege here is allowing Transcona to form part of the city of Winnipeg. But Wyatt already knows that.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 6:45 PM

Perhaps I'm missing something, but why not just build it out in Polo Park where there is already the schmaltzy tourist restaurants, plenty of parking, shopping for everyone and a soon-to-be-vacated stadium area?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
Perhaps I'm missing something, but why not just build it out in Polo Park where there is already the schmaltzy tourist restaurants, plenty of parking, shopping for everyone and a soon-to-be-vacated stadium area?
Don't try using common sense. Katz and his merry band of yes-men don't understand such things.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
Wow, I hadn't thought about that.
The stadium site, properly done could be morphed into a MAJOR mixed-use development, with a (larger) waterpark-hotel as a centrepiece.

Anyone know if Asper is still interested in the old stadium site?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 7:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Wow, I hadn't thought about that.
The stadium site, properly done could be morphed into a MAJOR mixed-use development, with a (larger) waterpark-hotel as a centrepiece.

Anyone know if Asper is still interested in the old stadium site?
Believe me it would take an Asper a lot more than $7 million in public tax dollars to build anything!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
believe me it would take an asper a lot more than $7 million in public tax dollars to build anything!
lol!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Unanimous vote too.

Umm... aren't we giving CanAlta $7 million dollars to build this piece of crap? How are we privileged?

I know. smh. Sad to see this went through.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 10:51 PM
A long time gone

Outraged!

Did anyone hear the interviews to Gerbasi and Swandel on CBC radio a few minutes ago? Gerbasi made a lot of sense. Swandel was pathetic! He basically said the councillors don't follow the details of projects, they dictate the guidelines and then "the administrators" will go on to finalize the details. He accused Gerbasi of following an "agenda" and was very rude and unclear.

Basically, it seems they don't know anything about this project, just thought (for whatever reason) is a good idea and went ahead without knowing basically anything about it. Sounds dumb to me. Who voted this person in office? He sounds very uneducated and unprepared.

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 11:26 PM

Well this is an interesting development, apparently there's already a water park planned for the IKEA site.

http://www.globalwinnipeg.com/water+...483/story.html

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 11:30 PM
BANNED

wow... this should kill it right? please?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
wow... this should kill it right? please?
We can only hope. The best part is they don't seem to be asking for a $7 million handout.

Also, I don't think the idea of a hotel on the Parcel 4 site is bad, just the implementation we are being given. I think if it was something along the lines the the Alt property they are building on Portage there would be less opposition. Now say you took it a step further and had an elevated rapid transit line about the height of the existing rail line with a station that was built into the hotel that basically drops people off at the door to CMHR then I think we could have something really worth putting on that parcel.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Unanimous vote too.

Wyatt had to vote for the proposal! Reason: Katz is allowing Wyatt to build an underpass on Plessis and Dugald Rd. Its the old you scratch my back turnaround.

Naturally, Katz is adamant that he is getting the short end of the stick on the proposal going through and his ballpark losing parking spaces, which is pure and utter bullshit. Quick, someone poke me in the eye with a stick, it would feel better than some of the acting that went on before the NEWS cameras this morning. Such drama!

Just remember these bastards when they come to your door next election and want your vote.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedenergy View Post
Did anyone hear the interviews to Gerbasi and Swandel on CBC radio a few minutes ago? Gerbasi made a lot of sense. Swandel was pathetic! He basically said the councillors don't follow the details of projects, they dictate the guidelines and then "the administrators" will go on to finalize the details. He accused Gerbasi of following an "agenda" and was very rude and unclear.

Basically, it seems they don't know anything about this project, just thought (for whatever reason) is a good idea and went ahead without knowing basically anything about it. Sounds dumb to me. Who voted this person in office? He sounds very uneducated and unprepared.
Swandel is rude when sober and a crude drunk.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan